Brush Hog Gear box lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
i replace the input shaft seal on my brush hog and i'm going to re-fill with gear oil. Owners manual calls for EP 90 gear oil. Would EP 85-90 or 85-140 be a suitable replacement gear lube? Or should i stick with the straight 90?

Last edited:
Assuming the gearbox doesn't run excessively hot, 80w90 or 85w90 should be fine. Keep an eye on the condition of the oil...it seems like those gearboxes love to collect moisture.

I used LE-607 in mine, from Lubrication Engineers in Texas. No longer produced but it was a straight 90 grade designed for industrial gearboxes.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I used LE-607 in mine, from Lubrication Engineers in Texas. No longer produced but it was a straight 90 grade designed for industrial gearboxes.
The Duolec LE 1605 replaces the LE 607.

cornhead grease is pretty fluid when it warms up but does stiffen up when it cools off, it would keep it from drooling as much from a leaky seal when the machine is sitting. Not sure how well it would lubricate the unit in this application.

We run mystik 80w90.

I had a 40 year old bush hog that leaked a half quart an hour, grease fitting and four tubes of grease later...the box outlast four belly repairs.

our bush hog finish mower has a bad bottom seal. I switched from gear oil to JD cornhead grease and it improved in terms of leakage. It's changes from a soft solid when cold to a gear oil type substance when warm. I researched it quite a bit before using it and see no issues at all. It still leaks though, so now I want to mix the regular grease in with it or go to 100% grease. Seems that many others have had success with that when confronted with a really bad seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back