KREEN for cleaning rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2005 toyota higlander, I4, front wheel drive. I cleaned the PC valve about 30k ago and it is an after market PC valve. When I last checked it it was clean and "rattled" showing it was not gummed up with oil. I have no oil leaks to note.

I used to NEVER consume oil, the oil level was always constant on the dip stick. Like a fool I used AUTO-Rx... NEVER USE THIS STUFF. I don't know if it's a coincidence but every car I used it in now consumes oil.
My highlander burns about a little over a quart every 3k. When I jump on the gas at night if there is a car behind me I can see a very light smoke cloud in their headlights.

So I discovered Kreen and have used it in both the oil and gas tank. I have also heard of putting 2 ounces in each cylinder and allowing it to soak over night turning the engine by hand no and again to move the pistons and rings.

I believe I have good compression and the engine is very strong and has lots of life for having almost 180k on it.

Anyone tried this before and what is the best way to hand turn the engine. I plan on changing plugs after this since I am due.

***BTW let's not turn this into an opinion or "fact" session about ARx. I used it, regret it and that's enough about it. Please keep the comments to the real question of using Kreen to soak the rings.

Thanks,
Mike

As far as freeing a stuck ring, to my knowledge it doesn't take much to accomplish. I know a lot of people go overboard and remove the spark plugs and soak the cylinders.

But from my experience everyone I know who has had a stuck oil scraper ring or compression ring has just put Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and operated the engine normally.

At a ratio of 20% MMO and 80% motor oil.

Long time Kreen user here.

I have fixed oil consumption issues and also dealt with a stuck lifter with Kreen. It's so good it almost can't be described. It works VERY fast, and it is a fantastic cleaner.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Long time Kreen user here.

I have fixed oil consumption issues and also dealt with a stuck lifter with Kreen. It's so good it almost can't be described. It works VERY fast, and it is a fantastic cleaner.

Hey Steve!

I should do this to my Saturn SC2 Red Hot as it burns oil.

What exact procedure did you perform to resolve it? Please put in percentages of Kreen to oil & how long you ran, etc. if possible.

Thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

Hey Turk! Whassup?

In our extremely high mileage 6.o gas engine we were experincing oil consumption. I suspected coked up rings, read about kreen here, and decided I had nuttin' to lose.

Per the instructions on the can, I put two cups directly into the sump and two cups in the gas tank. Drove the vehicle about 750 miles or so and changed the oil and filter.

Presto, it stopped like magic. It also cleaned the troublesome fixed orifice PCV setup that truck used. I have used it in about 10-12 vehicles now and all but one have had fantastic results.

Ah, ok! I (not related) just put in 5/8ths of a Quart in 11 Gallons of gas on the same Saturn.
LOADS of power now!
banana2.gif

I have 1 3/8ths Quarts left, so I may give that a shot.

Recently started documenting how much it burns for a "Control/Baseline", then I'll have at it.
thumbsup2.gif

Hey Turk! Whassup?

In our extremely high mileage 6.o gas engine we were experincing oil consumption. I suspected coked up rings, read about kreen here, and decided I had nuttin' to lose.

Per the instructions on the can, I put two cups directly into the sump and two cups in the gas tank. Drove the vehicle about 750 miles or so and changed the oil and filter.

Presto, it stopped like magic. It also cleaned the troublesome fixed orifice PCV setup that truck used. I have used it in about 10-12 vehicles now and all but one have had fantastic results.

Hey Steve, thanks for the info. Per the directions on the can, how long can one safely drive with that much Kreen in the crankcase? Is it safe to drive for an entire oil change? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Hey Turk! Whassup?

Hey Steve, thanks for the info. Per the directions on the can, how long can one safely drive with that much Kreen in the crankcase? Is it safe to drive for an entire oil change? Thanks!

Howdy, Drew!

I have a couple of cars that drove for long periods, but the can actually said IIRC that you could leave it in. In our experience the lighter fractions quickly vaporize out of the sump through the PCV, doing even more cleaning...

Originally Posted By: mmmmike
I used to NEVER consume oil, the oil level was always constant on the dip stick. Like a fool I used AUTO-Rx... NEVER USE THIS STUFF. I don't know if it's a coincidence but every car I used it in now consumes oil.

Why did you use it?

I have had better experience with it. There's nothing in it that should harm the engine if it's used correctly.

Quote:
My highlander burns about a little over a quart every 3k. When I jump on the gas at night if there is a car behind me I can see a very light smoke cloud in their headlights.

If that's it and it doesn't keep smoking as you accelerate, you're probably drawing oil in when the car is idling, which indicates valve seals, valve guides, something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Recently started documenting how much it burns for a "Control/Baseline", then I'll have at it.
thumbsup2.gif

Welllll..... Steve.....

I went out to check the oil and it was 1/2 Qt. low in 200 miles, so that equates 1 Qt. every 400 miles!
shocked2.gif

I got the Red Hot last Fall (see Sig.), haven't drove it much, but knew it burned some.

So..... I may go another 200 to see if it repeats itself at the same usage, then go from there.

Good timing for this thread!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mmmmike

I have used some engine oil additives, but I really don't think they are for use at every oil change. (I still have some SLOB oil treatment that I will use for a few certain old engines that I have and I have used MMO in an engine really needs cleaning. I'm also open to trying Kreen, but only if an engine really needs it) But, if your engine does not consume oil and you have an engine in good shape, there is no reason to use an engine additive or an engine flush. All the additives that you need are in the engine oil that you buy.

Last edited:
Kreen did not work for me. My very clean engine needed Berryman Chemtool to clean a lifter that tapped at cold start.

But there is enough evidence otherwise that it's worth using before doing anything more drastic.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Kreen did not work for me. My very clean engine needed Berryman Chemtool to clean a lifter that tapped at cold start.

But there is enough evidence otherwise that it's worth using before doing anything more drastic.

Is your experiment documented here somewhere here? I do not recall reading about successful conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back