Protecting plywood shed floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Painting white is a great idea. It's never as empty or as convenient as when it's first built.

The most important thing IMO is that the grade under and around the shed was made so that no water will collect underneath it.

Depending on it's use, I personally would not go overboard on the floor. But, it seems that sealing it with something would help a bit. A full fledged paint job might make it "hard to break in" if one has that type of personality. Will winter snow/mud be an issue?

I might be tempted to find some cheap vinyl glueless floor remnant and throw it down. When it gets torn up, throw it out and put in another piece (especially helpful if you are potting in there).

Other ideas: I'll let you google it,

- garage floor mat
- 45mil EPDM pond liner or roofing membrane

Just check for moisture/mildew problems underneath occasionally.

If it gets a little wet with now, no biggie, but we will store wet stuff in the concrete garage most likely.

Mud, sure. That's why I thought that some urethane or similar coating might make it easier to clean.

I think we have some leftover spar urethane. I think we will roll it on and leave it at that. No need to be pretty, just functional.

I have moved to a wipe-on finish on my woodworking projects (furniture, etc.).

You can thin that Spar urethane up to 50% with mineral spirits or naptha for the first coat. It will soak deeper into the pores and provide more protection than just a coat sitting on top. It can literally be applied with a mop in minutes and allowed to soak in. After a couple of minutes, just spread out any puddles that might remain where it collects too deep. With Minwax, you can apply a second coat of less thinned material the same day. Done!

Skip to the last paragraph: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/the_basics_of_wiping_varnish2

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The most important thing IMO is that the grade under and around the shed was made so that no water will collect underneath it.

So true. That was the most painstaking task for me. I hauled in 20+ bags of topsoil, rock, etc. Leveling, and making the floor true was the worst part of build.

It was done properly in advance of the shed build/install... Dug dow, packed gravel, all graded, etc.

Ended up just leaving it plain plywood in the end... I did urethane the wood under the window, sort of the rough in for a window but essentially a sill... So that is water-protected in case we leave the window cracked for air.

I think I'd just put down some linoleum. I have a 12x12 shed with a regular plywood floor, and the floor's fine...stains, sure, but it's fine. But I covered the large built-in workbench in there with linoleum, because that's where I do my small engine work, take carburetors apart, etc. Any liquids that spill on the linoleum are easily wiped up. If you scratch it, you scratch it, but the protection is still there. It's inexpensive and durable.

I have no plans to cover my nekkid plywood floor with anything, but if I did want to, it'd be with a sheet of linoleum. My shed is built-up on two courses of 8x8s with plenty of under-floor ventilation, so water is not a problem in my case. I don't know how your shed is constructed, though.

Mine's up on some 4x4s with a good space for ventilation as well. Its on a nice gravel pad I put in for it. Designed for good drainage...

On my shed, I tried to paint both sides, to seal it. I also attempted to caulk the edges. No avail, it still delaminated in a spot. But, it's a metal shed, and the edges are exposed to rain and snow (shed can have a few feet of snow on it, one driveway dumps snow onto it, plus whatever I pull off the roof). I recaulked it, nailed it down, and, well, it's a shed. But I wish I had either gone for 1/2" plywood (instead of 3/4) or something rated for more moisture.

I'm not sure how much wood has to breath, but I'm going to guess it'll last longer with paint on both sides. Seems like any trim board on houses that I've seen, where they only paint one side, still gets a fair amount of aging on the unpainted side. It might not get soaking wet but it still sees the humidity.

A few years ago I built a 12'x20' shed for my oil stash and ope. Having not planned ahead, I needed to get it finished, so I mixed several left over deck sealers, stains and a partal gallon of house paint. Thinned it some with kero and slobbered it on. Looks so-so but is holding up well. Every so often I sweep out the leaves and dirt. Whatever works.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm tempted to give a coat of spar urethane and then call it a shed.

That's what I'd do. I'd probably use a product like Helsman Spar Urethane since that's what's on the shelf at the hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back