Spray Painting car outside illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My neighbor's son is spray painting his entire truck in his driveway(has no garage) about 7 feet away from my house. I'm worried about overspray. He is bipolar and cannot be talked to without a violent confrontation. I'm hoping it is illegal and can just call an authority, does anyone know?

depends on area but generally speaking they are responsible for overspray

even if its not illegal.... need new siding?

Whew... i thought you were MY neighbor for a second ,'till i saw MI as the state.My son is spraying bedliner (on his truck) in the driveway.

Last edited:
VOC's - spraying without a booth/proper ventilation equipment?

My house has frosted brick - it cannot be sandblasted.

Last edited:
In my city, all I would do is call my local by-law enforcement office and if they thought it was serious enough ( public safety or health at danger), an officer would be dispatched pretty quickly. Not sure if you have a similar setup in your town.

Originally Posted By: Danno
In my city, all I would do is call my local by-law enforcement office and if they thought it was serious enough ( public safety or health at danger), an officer would be dispatched pretty quickly. Not sure if you have a similar setup in your town.

+1 call the local non-emergency police line, and ask. They will either say it is not illegal, or it is and dispatch an officer, nothing to lose either way!

Call the cops, tell the cops to say "they were just cruising by and saw him spraying", so the bipolar kid doesn't get revenge later.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
Hi,
My neighbor's son is spray painting his entire truck in his driveway(has no garage) about 7 feet away from my house. I'm worried about overspray. He is bipolar and cannot be talked to without a violent confrontation. I'm hoping it is illegal and can just call an authority, does anyone know?

Go tell the little sh!t to stop spraying because you don't want over spray all over your house end of story.
If he gets violent give him a crack.

I think you can paint up to 3 cars a year without being classed as a bodyshop,and you aren't regulated as such.You cannot take any money for the work,and its considered a "hobby".As for painting where it might harm neighbors or their property,that would be a local ordinance deal.

Outside spray painting is not a criminal offense, so police would be right if they decline to help you. It is an EPA/DEQ infraction. The purpose of a paint spray booth is to capture the VOCs thus reducing air pollution. Recommend you call Michigan DEQ - Department of Environmental Quality http://1.usa.gov/1pCy6Fn

Originally Posted By: spasm3
take pics of him doing it

+1

And if the kid is bipolar, is it his house or the parents' house? Talk to them and ensure that they understand that any damage is their responsibility.

A public nuisance ordinance might apply.
I'm pretty sure that if some kid were shooting his car in a driveway near your house, the cops would invite him to either stop or go for a ride in cuffs.
Call the cops and find out what they'll do locally.
If this kid has issues, they already know him.
Too bad for him and his folks, not too bad for you.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

And if the kid is bipolar, is it his house or the parents' house? Talk to them and ensure that they understand that any damage is their responsibility.

Thats a good idea, the parents may not have thought about the over-spray. If he is bipolar, they are probably just happy that he is occupied with a new task/hobby and not in trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

The parent(mother) won't do anything the house is in foreclosure - probably from the legal fees from her kids. Both kids have been in prison before and she lets them sell pot and pain-killers instead of working.

Both kids have been in prison before and she lets them sell pot and pain-killers instead of working.

Seems to be a trend these days.

Is there any overspray on your house? Sorry if I missed it, but what color did he use?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Hi,

Go tell the little sh!t to stop spraying because you don't want over spray all over your house end of story.
If he gets violent give him a crack.

Agreed!

I would not put up with being afraid of someone living so close i had really bad neighbors on my block at one time and they had problems with everyone of course they started with my son and moved!

Sounds like my neighbor that bought a used Kia for his teen daughter and promptly rear ended someone with it.

He buys it back from the insurance company (totaled) and puts on junk yard fenders and a hood. Then drives back to the DMV to play the registration paperwork.

DMV tells him that since it was a total and the repair was not done through insurance and a body repair shop, he'd have to pay for it to be inspected before the DMV will process the paperwork. So his wife tells me.
21.gif

So he figures it's cheaper to sell it and proceeds to rattle can the fenders and hood to match the rest of the car. He does this in the driveway, on a gusty day (it ALWAYS windy here in the Central Valley), late in the early evening in the fall and it's already getting a bit dewy. It's probably dry by the time it lands but there's over spray drifting all over the place.

This is the same guy that decides to spray red stain his side fences and proceeds to cover the windows, side of my house and patio with over spray. I think my Mom got covered a bit as well (she was reading a book out on the patio).

A$$ hat.

Oh yeah. His poor daughter is still walking.

Water your lawn a lot and do a lousy job of controlling the spray pattern.

Over spray from paint is difficult and expansive to repair, sometime almost impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back