Baldwin, Donaldson and Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I've read a number of posts wherein claims are made that Baldwin and Donaldson are "true premium" filters, while Wix is just a very good filter.

My question is, why are Baldwin and Donaldson so superior, if they are at all?

Wix uses a synthetic/cellulose media on their "Wix" branded filters, and so do Baldwin and Donaldson. Is it the opinion of Baldwin and Donaldson fans that their favorite brands use a higher end element, or is it the design, or both?

[ July 18, 2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Big O Dave ]

Good question, Dave. I haven't seen any Beta spec's posted for any of those that you mention. This is the stuff that I was hoping Pete C. would be providing for Wix.

I think Donalson and Baldwin get their reputation based manly on the impression that their limited distribution creates (aka: not for typical consumer use). They're surely good filters in design ..but I haven't really seen anything that makes them distinctive over something like a PureOne or Wix. Wix is also a limited distribution filter ..limited basically to NAPA for mass distribution
dunno.gif

Donaldson, in their other filter lines, tends to publish their micron ratings (hydraulic, fuel).

Donaldson and Baldwin primarily market through heavy duty truck sources and farm equipment people. Automotive filtration is a byproduct of needing to have a "full" product line offering.

Donaldson is getting away from cellulose blended media in their automotive filters. Chances are you'll find straight synthetic media for their more popular "car" filter part numbers. A lot of Donaldson "small" can spin on's are made in Mexico by their plant there.

Baldwin is owned by the same company who owns Hastings filters. Although they are two seperate entitities, Hastings makes some filters for Baldwin. Baldwin has some production of thier own.

Champ also supplies both Baldwin and Donaldson with filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back