Metal shavings on new Napa Gold filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so excited to try my new plan, going from OEM filters & Havoline oil, to a Napa Gold filter and GC oil, that when I bought the oil filter and opened the box, I discovered a piece or two of metal shavings along the threads.

Didn't think too much about this, just told myself to wipe them out before putting it on the truck. Well, I forgot, it was getting dark quick and I was running out of light.

I have no idea how many metal shavings were in fact in that filter, but it never got wiped out, and the filter is currently on the truck.

Is this harmful??

Sure anything can happen, but I imagine, assuming that the mount isn't upside down, that anything that broke off would just sit in the bottom (whatever the "bottom" is") and just lay there. I can't speak with authority on it ..but I think that the velocity through the typical filter (assuming you don't have some ultra high volume oil pump) is enough to lift the shaving. I look at a filter like I do a shop vac chamber. The stuff screams in ..hits a relatively large chamber and then picks up speed at the exit door (there's a little more to it - but essentially that's it).

[ July 16, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Rule of thumb..always wipe the threaded area before installing the filter on both the filter and the mounting stud.

Otherwise don't worry about it. What else can you do? Trade the car in?

In an extreme failure of the engine, and you think it may be from metal shavings from the filter threads, have the repair garage save anything they find inside then engine. You could send it back to the filter company to be tested. As they know the metal compounds they use for all component parts. Should your engine fail because of shavings off your Wix filter, Wix should warranty the problem.

If your engine lasts another 3-4-5 years..
dunno.gif

Chances are when you screwed the filter onto the stud, this could have compressed the shavings you think were there and kept them from being released downstream.

Filter companies will have their backplate assemblies go through a parts washer and anti-rust application machine. Even though the parts are cleaned and "dried", some of the fluid can remain internally in the depth of the threads. When they sit around before being taken to production the backplate can attract dirt and this get's inside the groove. Sometimes people look at the threads and think it is metal shavings in between the grooves. Usually it is other contaminant. A magnet would tell the truth.

There are two methods of making threads, Cutting them. Which can have a tendency to allow for some shavings to remain. Or Rolling the threads which keeps all the metal in the backplate and significantly reduces the chance of metal shavings ( and the method Champ uses to make threads in their backplate assemblies).

If there were shavings and in the process of screwing the filter onto the stud "cuts" them off, they would go downstream and eventually end up in the oil pan. If they become more microscopic and the oil could hold them in suspension, then the filter would stop the contaminant from going any further. So basically you'd most likely have a one pass situation through the engine.

Have you sold the car yet...
wink.gif

Were it a cheap champ filter, there would be a half dozen 1,000 word rants about their low quality by now. Personally, I see it as a good reason not to pay a premium for WIX.

Labman,
Machining debris (metal, not just the dried cleaning fluid either) can routinely be found on almost all filter brands including (and especially) on the cheap Champs. I got in the habit of wiping a paper towel in the outlet hole threads to remove any debris a long time ago (when I was still using the older non-clicker, non-ecore Champs..). There is not usually any huge shards by any means, but I have seen them every now and then.
You can search through BITOG and you will see them mentioned...and not just on Wix either.

As for this statement...
"Personally, I see it as a good reason not to pay a premium for WIX. "

That is just a lack of reason on your part. You should actually compare the entire filter.
Using your reasoning, you wouldn't pay a premium for anything better than bottom rung stuff.

Thanks, and no I didn't trade the truck.

Now, I have another issue - the darn oil dipstick broke off inside the tube, about 6" worth. Been working on that for 8 hrs. Had one mechanic tell me not to worry and just push it through the remaining part of the tube and it'll fall to the bottom of the pan and never cause an issue.

Still waiting for the other mechanic's opinion.

If this filter does a good job, I see no reason for NOT using a wix just because of a few metal shavings. I've seen much worse.

Thank you all for your responses. If you have any other opinions, for either situation, I'll be thankful.

Push it through...you can probably probe around with a magnet pickup through the drain hole at the next oil change and pick it out anyway..

How'd you break it off?
cheers.gif

The puppy just snapped. No warning.

Thought about the drain hole exit, however, my drain plug is about 1/2" in length, don't know if I can wiggle that dipstick piece toward a fairly deep drain plug hole.

If I knew for sure that it wouldn't cause a problem, once in the drain pan, I wouldn't fret.

What would you do?

Push it through...you can probably probe around with a magnet pickup through the drain hole at the next oil change...
You might find something else...who knows,,,just give it a good try anyway.

2 beers and it'l be out, otherwise:

1- leave it there
2- if the pan comes off easy, drop it and clean it out.
3- leave it there...

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
The string around the Purolator's filter element makes me wonder a bit but, otherwise it's a top notch filter also.

the 2-3 purolators i dissected didnt have strings areound the filter media. i wonder if this is they way they use to do it, or if they only have strings around certain models?

The dip stick section will fall under the Main Bearing Support Plate in the oil pan. It is unlikely it can touch any moving parts... Your oil pick up tube has a screen on it to prevent it from entering.

But if you find it in your oil filter please take pictures and let us know.
grin.gif

quote:

he darn oil dipstick broke off inside the tube, about 6" worth.

Pull the tube. Tap a new tube in if need be after you get the dipstick's remains out. It's an interference fit item. It helps if you can see where it meets the block ..but it's not a major operation
dunno.gif

I tend to go along with the it isn't going to hurt anything, but I like Gary's idea. If it is still stuck in the tube, pulling it will be much easier that the pan, and eliminate worry about the small chance it will ever be a problem.

What are we working on? Would it be new enough to be under warrantee? '' The puppy just snapped. No warning.'' Sounds like defects in material or workmanship to me.

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
....Machining debris (metal, not just the dried cleaning fluid either) can routinely be found on almost all filter brands including (and especially) on the cheap Champs. .....

For someone who speaks of not using Champ products, from what experience do you speak of? If Champ roll stamps the threads, I can not see how they can be problematic with loose shavings. I have felt a "slight" burr at times on a Champ thread but never anything that would be a shaving.

Hootbro

97 Isuzu Rodeo with 141K miles. I wish it were under warranty for this one!

Never had an issue with this dipstick before, however, the tube has 2 bends, and the stick is one of those spiral long one's. Have always had to be cautious in reinserting it and making sure to do it slowly - however this time, it hit that first bend and I heard a pop sound!

I will say that there were two tiny holes, via factory, in the stick, one at "Add" and the other at "full". An Isuzu tech that I spoke to, stated that that could of been the area of where it got weak.

Filterguy summed it up correctly in his piece. I did not think there were too many folks like me that looked for those nasty shavings. I feel we have a right to be quality control freaks. Heck, our vehicles cost huge amounts of money and so does the maintenance of them. We just want to know we are getting our monies worth and the quality along with it. I'm stayin with Wix filters. The string around the Purolator's filter element makes me wonder a bit but, otherwise it's a top notch filter also.

Hootbro,
Here's what I said above-
"I got in the habit of wiping a paper towel in the outlet hole threads to remove any debris a long time ago ( when I was still using the older non-clicker, non-ecore Champs ..)"

I did use them previously, I don't use them any more.

If that piece of dipstick is still wedged in the diptube, pulling the tube is another option I guess..I hadn't thought of that. I'd be carefull about accidentally bending that tube though.

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by Ramblin Fever:
...the darn oil dipstick broke off inside the tube, about 6" worth.

Personally, I see it as a good reason not to use a dipstick.

tongue.gif

Is it a CHEAP dipstick? If so we can have a couple of 1000 word rants about not using cheap dipsticks.
grin.gif
And of course, a million more rants about how using expensive dipsticks just isn't worth the cost.

Luckily in this case you can actually SEE your dipstick so you know if it fails.
lol.gif

Well, you've also got to expound on the marvels and utility of cheaper dipsticks and proper care ..as well as keeping your view of cheaper dipsticks in perspective
grin.gif
Then we can debate whether the OEM dipstick is indeed a cheap dipstick or whether the aftermarket dipstick is superior. Have there been any TSBs issued on this particular dipstick? Was it the engineers fault ..or the dipstick manufacturer? Then we have to determine if the "end user" had a role in the onset of failure
wink.gif
..and just what is the proper technique in dipstick useage in this application? Did he check it too often ..or misuse the dipstick in any manner?? :^)

These are the real issues of importance here.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back