[Cut Open] Honda 15400-PLM-A01 (FilTech) ~ 10K Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another A01 to add to the pile...

A01f.jpg

A01g.jpg

A01h.jpg

Prior filter with more pictures of individual components: _Honda_15400-PLM-A01#Post3094955]HERE

UOA HERE

I dont think I have ever seen a poor looking Honda A01. I almost used one of these on my current OCI but after seeing the Amsoil test on micron sized, and increased wear rates...I decided to stick with the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I dont think I have ever seen a poor looking Honda A01. I almost used one of these on my current OCI but after seeing the Amsoil test on micron sized, and increased wear rates...I decided to stick with the Fram Ultra.

I don't trust company paid test, independent test is more trustworthy.

If Honda OEM oil filters is that bad you would see millions Honda engines in the engine shops after 50-100k miles.

Actually the filtering media looks like a high quality synthetic type. Everything looks very good there except the end caps...where are they, do the OP remove them?

Couldn't edit my post...I realize this is a design that does not use endcaps, as the pleats are glued at the ends.

I'm not worried about the supposed lower filter efficiency because Honda designed the filter to work that way, and their engines last FOREVER! I believe that Honda thinks it is more important to have higher flow than higher efficiency and their products prove this method works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If Honda OEM oil filters is that bad you would see millions Honda engines in the engine shops after 50-100k miles.

OT Or not. The same Amsoil test that now frequently quoted here to promote the efficiency of filters like Motorcraft FL820S (previously published vague ~80%>20um) which showed ~94%@20um, used the industry standard ISO 4548-12 to test the efficiencies of the oem filters in the test including the Honda A02 and the Toyoto oem. I completely trust the results as other oems like the aforementioned Motorcraft, the AcDelco and Mopar showed very respectable results (low to mid 90's @ 20 um). And the Toyota results confirmed river_rat's previous testing results of no endcap type filters not being very efficient.

One can argue whether the results imply filter efficiency to be not very important, but just because because Amsoil sponsored the test doesn't mean the ISO test results are not reliable.

The pictured A01 was not tested, but imo it's safe to assume it's in a similar efficiency range as the A02 and the similar design Toyota oem. My .02

I agree, they are not bad filters. They were designed by Honda to Hondas specifications. The test showed that as efficiency drops there will be more wear, and it was a significant amount. Will it make a difference over 150,000 +/- miles? Apparently not, because there are Hondas out there that are dealer serviced with many many miles. But there is increased wear and since I am trying to get every mile I can out of the Accord I run a higher efficiency filter. If I ever needed to use a Honda OEM filter due to flow issues I would have to problems running it.

Amsoil isn't going to publish/advertise those test results if they were not accurate. They don't want to be sued. You can bet those other companies are watching what is said about their products by another company like Amsoil.

Something is at lost here. Honda OEM oil filter is made by third party company to their specs, the extra cost for higher efficient filter with similar flow doesn't cost them more than 50 cents to $1, they can easily afford the cost and/or passing it to customer.

Either Honda has some evidences that their oil filter specs are good enough for several hundreds thousands miles, or the test is not accurate. We all know that most Honda engines are very reliable and there is no data to support that using OEM filter would lead premature engine failure.

I do use Honda PCX-004 in my S2000, I also looking for other brands such as Wix when I ran out of PCX-004 I bought some years ago for less than $4 each.

We will probably never know it, but there has to be some reason that Honda specs and sells a filter the way they do.

I like the way these are built and I like the "P" gasket.

Wish the Ultra had a "P" gasket and no sure grip... however the car has an Ultra on it right now, so in roughly 8-10 months well add another cut open Ultra to the pile. (this filter came off in early may, I just got around to cutting it.)

I specifically asked the question regarding the efficiency of the Fram made A02 at the Fram test labs on my visit. It was confirmed to me by the lead engineer that it is much less efficient (Amsoil tested ~66%@20um) than equivalent US made oil filters. Seeing the PSX-004 sold at College Hills Honda also says made in USA on the can cello wrap, likely safe to say it is Fram made and is in the same tested efficiency range, most likely exactly the same.

Again, what that means as regards the importance of using a more efficient filter or why the Asian oem filters are relatively inefficient can be debated and discussed. In fact both topics have been discussed here before.

But there's no information to dispute the Amsoil oem filter efficiency results. So lacking that, the results not being accurate and reliable is not an explanation for the Asian oem filter efficiency results.

To the topic, the shown A01 does look to be a well made filter, no argument. That's a different discussion than it's efficiency.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Seeing the PSX-004 sold at College Hills Honda also says made in USA on the can cello wrap, likely safe to say it is Fram made...

I was thinking the 004 was a Japan made Tokyo Roki but a google image search shows them labeled "USA" and "Japan". I found at least one can that said FilTech in the search so I would bet against that particular filter being Rank Group made, not that would be a terrible thing...

A01's say "assembled in USA" on the can, but mine don't say COO on the label itself...

The ones I saw specifically from College Hills showed made in USA. I too saw others on an image search made in Japan. That said, I have no reason to believe that either will be significantly different efficiency-wise than the A02.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Couldn't edit my post...I realize this is a design that does not use endcaps, as the pleats are glued at the ends.

I'm not worried about the supposed lower filter efficiency because Honda designed the filter to work that way, and their engines last FOREVER! I believe that Honda thinks it is more important to have higher flow than higher efficiency and their products prove this method works perfectly.

Yes Filter looks great I have a A01 on my Honda now with Valvoline Max Life FULL SYN 5W30

Also I have seen old 1994 Hondas with 400k miles on them and they would look MINT, I couldnt belive it was a 1994 Honda...

I have 2002 Honda Accord V6 with 183000 miles now with orginal trans and this Engine works great.... I have seen so many Hondas with HIGH miles and they drove and started perfect.

Even my Father in Michigan who has sold cars most his life and was a wrencher for years was even telling me last time we talked how he see Hondas with 200K miles all the time for sale and they run perfect.

I have a buddy In Canda who works on cars also and he says a Honda with 150K miles is just broke in ready to go.... and he said the same thing about HIGH FLOW Oil Filters.
A01 and Fram Tough Gaurd and I never really talked to him about FRAM ULTRA but Im sure the FRAM ULTRA is HIGH FLOW also... Correct?

I was driving my Honda today on a smooth road at 70MPH and it was so smooth and A/C perfect, I have the the top of line one.. the one with spoiler and leather seats and driver side air bag and passenger side air bag and it says on seats SIDE AIR BAGS...
Sun Roon / Moon Roof Combo... 6CD Radio... Power seats on both driver and passenger...
I mean just totally loaded.. Aluminum RIMS... I think its the EX.. I alawys get them confused.. I know the DX is the lower model.. then there is a mid range then the one I have thats top of the line.

Also 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS and TCS.. Not sure what the TCS button does but my buddy said to press it and leave it on at all times... However I just leave it alone.

However my point is.. HONDA knows what they are doing when it comes to a ENGINE.

I used to love when they used Stainless steal for the exhaust.... Now they use regular steal... but back when they use stainless steal you rarely had a exhaust problem.... other then a seal or just have to tighten some bolts...

I trust Honda.. even the A02 oil filter... They know what they are doing.

I cant wait to cut my A01 open.. i never used to do it years ago....

Originally Posted By: David1
Also 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS and TCS.. Not sure what the TCS button does but my buddy said to press it and leave it on at all times... However I just leave it alone.

TCS = Traction Control System. Yes: just leave it alone.

I'll have an A02 cut open this weekend for you to look at.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Asian position filter in such a way that dirt cantcome backtheyplay with flow of in and out at filter

Stop posting while driving please.

Asian position filter in such a way that dirt cantcome backtheyplay with flow of in and out at filter

Hummm ... and exactly what position is that?

He told you - the "Asian position".

Sorry, I apologize. Really I do.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Originally Posted By: kschachn
He told you - the "Asian position"......

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Well now the two Asian's (Hondas) I service, ahem maintain, have filters oriented in the horizontal (Civic) and vertical position (Accord). So it would seem that "Asian position" can be either in a horizontal or vertical orientation. But both orientations, whether horizontal or vertical position, seem to work equally well and provide long engine life satisfaction with regular service intervals. At least in my experience.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back