correct amount of oil filled. but show overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Everyone is wasting time, gas and effort if they are purposely warming up their oil to do an oil change.
I always do my oil changes cold and i get more oil out than i do on a hot oil change. I routinely get about 1/4 quart more oil out doing cold oil changes.

And its unpleasant to work under a smothering hot car...

Breadman is correct. The last time you drove the car it was hot, and then parking it all the oil drains to the pan. It then drains out very fast when the plug is removed.

Where this doesn't work, is when you start the car and move it, then drain the oil.

Last edited:
The max mark on the dipstick is the highest point oil should be in the pan (with plenty of margin for error) to prevent the crankshaft from interfering with it(very bad). Unless instructed to fill past the full line by the manufacturer due to design flaw, you should not do so(though a few mm accidentally will not hurt). The listed capacities are approximations, the dipstick is the actual measurement you should follow.

To prevent such issues, I always underfill by a full qt, start the engine, let everything prime back up, shut it down, wait a few minutes and then top it off to the full mark.

Last edited:
Egen following The "check Oil" guide in The manual, i says to drive the car til operating temperature, park on a level road. Wait for 5 minutes and check oil. When I do it like that the oil is about 2-3 mm above MAX. When I wait til the next morning it is the same. If I wait only 2 hour and the engine is still warm. It is about 4-5 mm above.

There is no foaming or leaks after 125 km since the oil change

The consensus on some owners' fora is to check oil level with the engine having gotten COLD long after the hot oil has settled...others' preference is to do it after only 10 minutes or so of "rest"...whether "preference" is "proper" is not clear...

The most important parameter of any regime is consistency...and one done on a level surface.

I always over fill by 1/4 to 1/2 quart. I have 4 drivers who never check oil level. MY 2008 Rav4 with the I-4 engine at 85,000 miles is just beginning to use about a 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. So, I adjust for that by giving it the 1/2 right off the bat. My 2 Toyotas with the 2GR-FE engines call for 6.4qts. The dealers always put in 7 qts. So, I usually put in 6.75.

Last edited:
Same thing happens with mine -- a few millimeters above the F line with the specified fill amount. It's no big deal. There is quite a bit margin before there is any contact with the crankshaft. Even if I filled an extra 0.5 qt on top of the specified amount, which already exceeded the F line, I don't think anything bad happens. More oil will have more TBN retention and more additive retention, not to mention obviously more oil retention.

one time my dad had a high miles 440. let it drain while taking lunch, it didnt want to oil up. he had to spin the oil pump at 1300 RPM to get the oil up. a normal 600 RPM elec was NOT enough speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back