Oil leak at filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I drive home and notice fresh oil on ground where I park my yukon. It appears leak is coming from the mobil one m107 filter that has 6700 miles on it. I just got back into the country after a week on business.. First time I saw leak like this. It clearly was at the filter since there was some accumulation on it. I am sure I tightened it well 2 months ago. Thoughts?

I changed the filter (gasket intact) and drained the oil. Not having pressure problems. Changed oil to 5qta qts defy and 1 qt penn plat.

This is puzzling.

Are you sure it is from the filter? I ask because every filer on our Uplander has oil running down from the side after a while. I think there is an oil leak from somewhere up the side of the block dripping down the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
and it still leaking after you changed the filter to a new one?

or are you just wondering how it started leaking in the first place?

Just wondering. Not leaking now but I just changed it. Used a puro classic bc it is white and easy to see

Originally Posted By: Rockslide
Any chance of a stone impacting the casing causing a leak? Did the filter evidence any damage when you removed it? Bypass valve failure?

No damage. Filter looked good. Did not conduct autopsy

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
What is your tightening technique?

Hand tight plus one more turn at least

That's too tight!

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935

That's too tight!

+1

I agree its too tight. They say 3/4 of a turn, but half the time I cant even do that.

Does it have any seam damage/ flaws between the base end and the can? An autopsy is the only sure way. Make sure to keep your incision away from the seam if you do cut it up.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
One more complete rotation or just one more turn of your wrist?

one more turn of the wrist

Try a Denso oil filter. They have a built in stop that prevents overtightening. You turn them until you can't and the gasket is deformed to specs. A very well built filter but not liked very much here because their efficiency is not as good as the top line filters. Who cares? Change the oil and filter twice a year.

I always go 2/3 to 3/4 turn max after initial contact of the base gasket to the engine mount. Never ever an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back