case 580sk tractor/hydraulic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have recently bought a '94 case 580sk backhoe. I believe most of its life it's just had universal tractor fluid in it. The factory spec I believe is case hytran in everything except the engine. I'd have to go into a local case dealer, but seen $95 for 5 gal of hytran on the net. I been topping off with traveller's premium universal fluid. Soon I'd like to change the fluid out and get the best fluid in there as possible without giving up both my arms lol. I believe the hyd. System and transaxle hold something like 30 gal or so. I've also been told by a couple farmers that the John Deere hyguard is better. JD hyguard meets case's hytran spec, but not the other way around and people have had problems running hytran in jd tractors, but no problems running hyguard in case tractors. I'd just like to do what's best for my backhoe and I don't believe it's running cheap traveller's premium universal fluid. Any help with some proof would be nice. I'm thinking just running hytran so I know it's right and maybe it'll perform better.

My local Case dealer sells Hytran Ultra for 5 gal/$76.60.

As far as I can tell, running JD Hy Gard would be OK, too. Greenpartstore sells 2.5 gal for $24.30, plus shipping. John Deere also lists the specific Case specs it meets, so you can do a quick comparison/verification. Your dealer may also be able to get 55 gal drum for you. I assume shipping would be prohibitive and local procurement your best option for either fluid.

Hit up your local shell/pennsoil dealer
They have a fluid that meets the spec but the name escapes me at the moment.

Another oil that was mentioned to me was royal purple syntractor, but man that's a little rich for my blood. The hydraulics hold 29 gal then the transaxle is 5.5gal I think so a good synthetic might be a good idea for the transaxle they're really pricey to repair. I may just get the case hytran or the new Holland stuff that's the same thing seeing as how the nh dealer is closer. I just like to run good products that are proven in my stuff.

Originally Posted By: dixon700
Another oil that was mentioned to me was royal purple syntractor, but man that's a little rich for my blood. The hydraulics hold 29 gal then the transaxle is 5.5gal I think so a good synthetic might be a good idea for the transaxle they're really pricey to repair. I may just get the case hytran or the new Holland stuff that's the same thing seeing as how the nh dealer is closer. I just like to run good products that are proven in my stuff.
Do they spec the same fluid for both the hydraulics and the drivetrain?
Tractor fluid in a tractor has to do both, but with seperate sumps I would assume each fluid could be made differently for the job it does?
If the service guys seem reasonable at the dealership, they should know what works as well.

Hytran the whole way around I believe. I bought my tractor from a kubota dealer. Their tech said universal hydraulic fluid and 5 hat was all. I'm guessing kubota udt.

Well they gave me 5 gal of eni: super tractor plus fluid. I don't think I'd trust that in my transaxle, but should be fine in the hydraulic sump that takes 29gal... I've always like mobil oils, would the mobil 424 oil be better than hytran? I can't find a sample on hytran. I'm not going to run just some cheap universal in the transaxle. The royal purple stuff is a little expensive to buy 12+ gals of so maybe mobil 424 or the shell or chevron equivalent since all 3 should be spectacular oils that are probably better than hytran and cheaper.

I'm late to the dance. I would like to buy a gallon of Hy tran for my '77 IH Cadet 80 hydrostatic drive lawn mower. It is used for touch controls in big equipment too. Seeing as how the original lasted 37 yrs I dont want a 5 gallon bucket of it.

I'm late to the dance. I would like to buy a gallon of Hy tran for my '77 IH Cadet 80 hydrostatic drive lawn mower. It is used for touch controls in big equipment too. Seeing as how the original lasted 37 yrs I dont want a 5 gallon bucket of it.

Closet case dealer that's 38 mi or so away has case hytran ultra for $76 for a 5 gal pail. Emailed a local oil supplier about hytran or an equivalent and still haven't received anything back. The $76/pail is as good of a price as I've found online of cheaper products after shipping. Like 15 gal of lube king case fluid was $300 with shipping. I'd like to hear back from the local oil/fuel vendor, and I'm also going to check on new Holland master trans which I believe is the same fluid. The nh dealer is closer and may be cheaper. I'd like the cheapest route possible, but I definitely don't want to slouch on oil quality. I just want to find a good quality oil to replace in the transaxle and get that junk fram filter off and put the Baldwin filter on that I have.

Found the transaxle actually holds 12gal. I bought universal tractor fluid from my local oil supplier.
20140714_174527_zpsbytvracg.jpg
Its made by ConocoPhillips. Meets a lot of specs including hytran and jd hyguard. So 8 figured it should be a plenty good fluid for the transaxle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back