Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Please tell me how you would go about establishing comparitive testing of a number of motor oils in a number of identical engines by duplicating the exact same conditions between all engines while at the same time also duplicating all of the real world daily driving scenarios so that every aspect of the oil could be tested at the same time in the exact same way.

Mobil does it all the time. As does Mercedes, Porsche, BMW....etc. That's why those engine companies have their own certifications. Porsche has a really cool engine test rig that replicates laps of the Nurburgring for example.

Mobil has an extensive on-site test facility where they not only test engines but multiple cars. Think thermostatically controlled rooms with individual dynometers that can replicate any sort of load, whilst the manipulation of ambient temperature can be done to replicate cold starts, winter driving....etc.

Quote:
And when the parameters of this test are defined please point to where we can go to see the results of RP being tested in this manner against other oils.

RP doesn't the resources of XOM, SOPUS or BP, so I don't think it is necessarily reasonable to expect them to be able to do the same kind of in-house testing they do. On the other hand, they could pay to have certain specifications/approvals that they currently don't have. AMSOIL for example recently began, at the behest of their dealers and the consumers at large, obtaining the European manufacturer approvals like BMW LL-04, VW...etc. That was a really big step forward for them IMHO and gives them access to a broader user base, people who won't use a non-approved product in their bimmer for example.

Good point. It does add to Amsoil's credibility as a whole in my opinion.
There are many who don't care about actual certifications,and that's fine,they are ultimately on the hook if there is a failure of some sort.
I think if your going to spend a big dollar on a European vehicle the oil changes are pennies compared to the vehicle as a whole and Amsoil getting certified opens a very large market for them.
Up until I found this site I was an Amsoil guy. I used it and only it for many years. I never had an oil related failure in anything ever.
But I never had an oil related failure when using the cheapest oil on the shelf either.
Getting back to RP their synerlec additized oil is special,and I've seen multiple engines(chev 350s) with over 300000 miles and they were spotless,bores had very little flare and could easily have been run longer however they were going into drag cars so heads,cam,intake swaps were being done,and the trucks they came out of were Swiss cheese by then.
The trucks were tow rigs and plow trucks ,so its easy to understand why the bodies,and frames were finished but the engines were as good as new and as far as I know are still out there running.
My point is the 1 armed bandit method of trying to determine anything about an oil is a joke. It represents nothing as far as comparability in an internal combustion engine.
So to keep bringing it up is a comedy at best,and a bad joke at worst.

You were just looking for the place to stop reading....that seems typical for RP users ... stop reading and make a judgment before you have all the information. Whatever he thinks of Brad Penn, the test results do not show Brad Penn as the standout oil so he must be less biased than those who market RP who cannot show any testing data to backup their claims.

I see nothing to indicate that any RELEVANT testing took place. Just more opinion added to an already confusing and contradictory subject. Perhaps this is more like "sports entertainment"?

RP is another fine boutique oil that must earn its place with owners. Each of us gets to choose what we want, and for many owners a much lesser oil gets the job done just fine...

The test is not intended to be the end all of testing. It is intended to test one particular aspect of an oil's performance. This happens to be the aspect which RP particularly touts as their differentiator. But testing of the film strength show and Noack tests show this touted "superior" aspect of RP cannot be demonstrated.

I have not indicated that RP is not a good oil. The thread is about whether it is worth the money. My contention is that you can get the same or better results by spending less. If you want to spend more to get the same or less that is up to each individual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Please tell me how you would go about establishing comparitive testing of a number of motor oils in a number of identical engines by duplicating the exact same conditions between all engines while at the same time also duplicating all of the real world daily driving scenarios so that every aspect of the oil could be tested at the same time in the exact same way.

Mobil does it all the time. As does Mercedes, Porsche, BMW....etc. That's why those engine companies have their own certifications. Porsche has a really cool engine test rig that replicates laps of the Nurburgring for example.

Mobil has an extensive on-site test facility where they not only test engines but multiple cars. Think thermostatically controlled rooms with individual dynometers that can replicate any sort of load, whilst the manipulation of ambient temperature can be done to replicate cold starts, winter driving....etc.

Quote:
And when the parameters of this test are defined please point to where we can go to see the results of RP being tested in this manner against other oils.

RP doesn't the resources of XOM, SOPUS or BP, so I don't think it is necessarily reasonable to expect them to be able to do the same kind of in-house testing they do. On the other hand, they could pay to have certain specifications/approvals that they currently don't have. AMSOIL for example recently began, at the behest of their dealers and the consumers at large, obtaining the European manufacturer approvals like BMW LL-04, VW...etc. That was a really big step forward for them IMHO and gives them access to a broader user base, people who won't use a non-approved product in their bimmer for example.

Good point. It does add to Amsoil's credibility as a whole in my opinion.
There are many who don't care about actual certifications,and that's fine,they are ultimately on the hook if there is a failure of some sort.
I think if your going to spend a big dollar on a European vehicle the oil changes are pennies compared to the vehicle as a whole and Amsoil getting certified opens a very large market for them.
Up until I found this site I was an Amsoil guy. I used it and only it for many years. I never had an oil related failure in anything ever.
But I never had an oil related failure when using the cheapest oil on the shelf either.
Getting back to RP their synerlec additized oil is special,and I've seen multiple engines(chev 350s) with over 300000 miles and they were spotless,bores had very little flare and could easily have been run longer however they were going into drag cars so heads,cam,intake swaps were being done,and the trucks they came out of were Swiss cheese by then.
The trucks were tow rigs and plow trucks ,so its easy to understand why the bodies,and frames were finished but the engines were as good as new and as far as I know are still out there running.
My point is the 1 armed bandit method of trying to determine anything about an oil is a joke. It represents nothing as far as comparability in an internal combustion engine.
So to keep bringing it up is a comedy at best,and a bad joke at worst.

Again I think these comments sustain the points I have been making. I ask what engine test can you cite where "comparative" testing is done with many different motor oils. I am told that large oil companies do this inhouse in the development of their motor oils. I'm sure they do; but we don't see those results made public of comparative testing of many different oils under the same engine conditions, so we can't draw any conclusions other than large companies engine test their oils. We don't have their results to show how they are superior to other oils.

Further my point is made when its acknowledged that RP does not have the resources to do extensive comparative engine testing. Therefore it maintains my contention that you cannot show me data from comparative engine tests that RP is superior. The only data we have available in comparative testing is when we are specifically testing aspects of an oil. When we have film strength or extreme pressure tests which do not support RP's claims of superiority and we have Noack tests showing their boil-off rate, we can know that RP does not have superior film strength over other top tier synthetics. When RP makes a specific claim to fame on film strength--that is the particular aspect we want to test--and tests show their performance as average among the synthetics.

As to service related engine wear, our company maintains a fleet of 600 pieces of equipment--cars, trucks, big rigs, off-road equipment etc. We regularly get 200-300k plus from road vehicles using the conventional Mobil oil and the 5k OCI for the gas and light duty diesel vehicles. When vehicles are taken out of service its very seldom engine related at all; but rather the other parts of the vehicle which make it no longer economically feasible to maintain.

Last edited:

Again I think these comments sustain the points I have been making. I ask what engine test can you cite where "comparative" testing is done with many different motor oils. I am told that large oil companies do this inhouse in the development of their motor oils. I'm sure they do; but we don't see those results made public of comparative testing of many different oils under the same engine conditions, so we can't draw any conclusions other than large companies engine test their oils. We don't have their results to show how they are superior to other oils.

Which is why the OEM testing and approval regimens are so important. Any oil that carries a specific approval we know has been tested to meet the requirements for wear, deposit control, oxidation.....etc set forth by the OEM. So an oil like M1 0w-40 for example, approved by multiple euro OEM's, is guaranteed to provide a specific level of performance.

Looked again at the PQIA test results on 5w-30 synthetics this morning. RP seems to be a almost a twin to NAPA synthetic in the test parameters.

As for the "RP haters" here at BITOG, the title of this thread asks "Is Royal Purple worth It?" I would think that the OP wanted both sides to weigh in, with the reasons behind their opinions.

I think the problem most critical thinkers have with RP is the marketing. The claims and language sound like some of the talk from various snake oil vendors, past and present. Some folks are just turned off by that kind of marketing. Especially when you are looking at paying a premium for a product. Nobody wants to pay for hype.

As for RP's special additives, I'd think that Shell, Mobil, BP etc have probably figured out exactly what these compounds are that RP is using. I'm sure RP has patent's on the specific compounds for the US market, and maybe others. But there are ways around patents, changing a single atom in a molecule or such. So if there was enough benefit, I'd expect the other companies to have their own versions.

As to service related engine wear, our company maintains a fleet of 600 pieces of equipment--cars, trucks, big rigs, off-road equipment etc. We regularly get 200-300k plus from road vehicles using the conventional Mobil oil and the 5k OCI for the gas and light duty diesel vehicles. When vehicles are taken out of service its very seldom engine related at all; but rather the other parts of the vehicle which make it no longer economically feasible to maintain.

I would concur, even though my fleet is hardly as big as the one you cited. But since we get nearly indefinite engine life with cheap readily available oils like M1 and Valvoline there is no economic reason to switch unless someone can show me a huge benefit...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I would concur, even though my fleet is hardly as big as the one you cited. But since we get nearly indefinite engine life with cheap readily available oils like M1 and Valvoline there is no economic reason to switch unless someone can show me a huge benefit...

And that right there is dead on.

Why spend even 1 dollar more on an engine lube when great faux syns keep engines running tip top for longer than the car it's fitted into.
Even today's conventionals will keep an engine running for longer than the body lasts,when changed as a proper interval,so for me it makes no sense to pay boutique oil prices when the majors on rollback is cheaper than mineral oils regular price and they are more than adequate for 1/2 million miles.

Yes I'll pay for redline in my diffs and Harley's tranny. Only because of the extended interval ability and that's due to the oil being shearproof,so in the long run I run it longer which evens out the extra cost.
Today's faux syns will run a 10000 mile interval pretty consistently unless there are special service conditions/severe service so for me it's a no brainer.
Heck I am not even brand loyal anymore. I used to stick to sopus and stock up when rollbacks were happening but now I don't care the brand,only what it costs.
Castrol black bottle edge is on sale at Walmart right now for 26 bucks a jugs.
That's American type prices and in my opinion a no brainer,and if I was low in my stash I'd buy 5 or 10 jugs at that price.
26 bucks a jug for syn is cheaper than mineral oils conventional price of 30 a jug,so it makes no sense at all to run a mineral oil when faux syns can be had at those prices,and those faux syns will help an engine outlast the car it's bolted to.
Special operating conditions will of course require shorter intervals or a different class of oil such as in racing or high boost applications but for normal cars operating under normal conditions today's faux syns are more than good enough

So then we can't use engine shops, as was suggested, to determine the value of RP because for various reasons far more don't use RP than do.

And since when is what an engine shop uses always a good testimonial as to what one should use? I know a rebuilder who always uses Supertech or Motomaster oils up here. It works great for him, and he's been rebuilding motors since the late 1940s. So, by that logic, anyone using anything except Canadian Supertech (which is Safety-Kleen oil) or Canadian Tire's house brand must be an idiot.

As for testing, you said it yourself. There are others here with fleet experience. One approved oil isn't going to make a difference over another approved oil. Some cost more and allow longer OCIs. Some people don't like the big oil companies. There are lots of reasons for choosing various things.

If someone is looking for "the best," they're not going to find it. If simply "the cheapest" were the answer, everyone would be using Supertech. And, anyone who complains that RP's price is too high had better be either using Supertech at OEM intervals or M1 EP out to 15,000 miles or Amsoil SS out to 25,000 miles, or they're talking out of both sides of their mouths.
wink.gif

If I were to use RP again (and I have before), it will be because I can buy RP from my supplier for roughly the same price that I can get M1 (or PP or Edge) at Walmart. Plus, I don't have to experience the "People of Walmart." That's a good enough reason for me.

Quote:
And since when is what an engine shop uses always a good testimonial as to what one should use? I know a rebuilder who always uses Supertech or Motomaster oils up here.

If you will look back you'll see its the RP person who said you need to go to the engine builders and see what they use instead of looking at tests. I was simply saying what you were saying, "the majority of engine builders certainly don't use RP." So if tests and engine builders are eliminated from the RP data we don't have a lot to go on to suggest its worth paying the extra price. In my opinion there ar plenty of readily available synthetics that offer good quality at a good price point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Here is a link where oils are tested for wear capability. RP does not show itself outstanding in the area where it makes its greatest claims of superior film strength.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Note in the ranking list that the conventional Castrol GTX 5W-20 is ranked #20 and the RP synthetic 5W-20 API SN is ranked #32. Why would someone pay more for less?

Those tests do not directly relate to a running engine,sorry.

if you use some of those oils that score well in those "tests" in an actual high performance engine,they will not do as well as some of those that do not score very well.

PERIOD.

It may not be that they have high levels of zinc, it may not be because they have high levels of whatever. It IS because they do a better job of lubricating an actual RUNNING ENGINE.

If you really want to test oil you need to do tests on actual engines! You people that rely on what you read on the "internet" as truth,need an eye opener.Goto an engine shop,see what they use,etc. Get some reliable data and go from there in your oil choices.

No where in my statement did I imply that all engine shops use is Royal Purple,way to twist on my words,not cool at all.

I meant to go check out what engine builder like and recommend for your particular application.

You guys wanna hate,thats fine. I've seen what this oil is capable of in street and race engines. I was warned this forum is bad for any Royal Purple related topics,it is what it is.

I use Amsoil,Royal Purple,and Valvoline in our applications currently.

Quote:
No where in my statement did I imply that all engine shops use is Royal Purple,way to twist on my words,not cool at all.

Don't know that anyone said you said "all."

If you will look back you'll see its the RP person who said you need to go to the engine builders and see what they use instead of looking at tests.

That goes to show you I don't pay attention to all that marketing blather. One arm bandits and Youtube videos aren't going to get me to buy an oil.

Every time an oil company makes a video - and it doesn't matter who - it's going to be a cheesy, tacky, marketing gimmick with almost nothing useful in it. I've also heard x% cleaner, y times less wear, and z extra horsepower and mpg and degrees cooler. None of it means much.

Price point - be careful of geography. PU goes for over $70 for a 5 quart jug here. I get RP for under $10 a quart any day of the week, and that's if I purchase by the quart. RP at least offers 12,000 mile OCIs. Plenty of other synthetics say to change at OEM intervals. $70 for three months/3750 miles on my G isn't a good deal.

Most posters are from USA so we're talking about price in mainland USA. PU at Walmart is about $27 5-qt jug while RP is more than $30, for me there is no reason to choose RP over PU or M1, M1 EP or PP ...

Similarly, there is no reason to buy any filter over $10 if there is Fram Ultra available for your vehicle for less than $10.

No, that's true, prices are different everywhere. Up here, if one wants to be realistic and leave real boutiques like PU (it's rarer than just about anything up here) out of the equation, RP is still priced reasonably. Its regular price is right between the regular price of M1 and M1 EP. With RP's OCI warranty being 12,000 miles, that seems pretty fair to me.

But they are not purple and cost twice as much
Cmon guys
If someone wants to spend more than needed for an oil change then I say go for it
Just dont expect others to follow

I guess the law that made ATE pull their blue brake fluid a few months back didn't catch RP???

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
I guess the law that made ATE pull their blue brake fluid a few months back didn't catch RP???

Brake fluid is supposed to be amber. That has nothing to do with motor oil, which could also be found in green and blue, for two higher profile examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back