Is my oil pressure gauge working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting... yeah, mine's still 60-65psi on hot idle. It does fluctuate a little bit when you push the gas initially, but it doesn't go up any higher than approx. 70psi. Once you push the gas a little bit to start moving, it goes right up to 70 and stays there all the way up to 4,000+ rpms. I know Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 is on the thicker end of the 30-grade spectrum, so I figured the oil pressure would be a little high, but I'm still not sure if the oversized oil filter I put on it would affect it in any way. I really wish I would've paid attention to it when the previous fill from the dealership was in there (AC Delco 5W-30/PF47). One thing I've noticed that may or may not be related is that when you first start the engine cold, I get a bit of what sounds like piston slap for the first 10-15 seconds then it goes away. It lasts longer than the typical rattle one would get from a car building up oil pressure from the filter for a second or two for the oil light to go off, IMO... the oil light isn't on that whole time, either.

The K&N oil filter now on my supercharged 3800 Series II is oversized. It does not figure into the oil pressure for me. I bought the filter with an AA special last year. Likely will not do oversized again. My PAU has the driver instrument cluster (DIC) allowing for an active digital reading. It is not set up like the photo you provided on yours however the speedometer center package is the same. I have become spoiled not looking there since some of the information like speed is
provided in the heads up display projected on the windshield.

If you have never changed out the oil pressure sensor, more than likely it is the culprit. I do not have any sounds like you have in startup. I still have the original dual muffler exhaust system and when at hot idle, one can barely hear the car running inside or outside the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
The K&N oil filter now on my supercharged 3800 Series II is oversized. It does not figure into the oil pressure for me. I bought the filter with an AA special last year. Likely will not do oversized again. My PAU has the driver instrument cluster (DIC) allowing for an active digital reading. It is not set up like the photo you provided on yours however the speedometer center package is the same. I have become spoiled not looking there since some of the information like speed is
provided in the heads up display projected on the windshield.

If you have never changed out the oil pressure sensor, more than likely it is the culprit. I do not have any sounds like you have in startup. I still have the original dual muffler exhaust system and when at hot idle, one can barely hear the car running inside or outside the vehicle.

The previous owner put a Flo-Pro dual exhaust system on this car, so I'm not sure if the exhaust's sound is playing tricks on my ear, but it sounds identical to the piston slap I've heard in my mom's old 2003 Malibu 3.1 except it doesn't last nearly as long. Maybe it's a lifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back