Mobil 1 0w-40 in MR2 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a friend that recently asked me whether he should run M1 0w-40 in his '91 SW20 MR2 with the 3S-GTE Turbo. It was rebuilt 50k mi ago.

What do y'all think? Also, any suggestions on an oil that would be better than M1 0w-40?

Thanks.

Is the car equipped with oil gauges?
I think you'll find that M1 0W-40 will be heavier than necessary and a 5W-30 syn should provide you with all the high temperature viscosity the engine requires.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Is the car equipped with oil gauges?
I think you'll find that M1 0W-40 will be heavier than necessary and a 5W-30 syn should provide you with all the high temperature viscosity the engine requires.

He says it does not currently have oil temp/pressure gauges but he plans to add them at some point.

Just to add a bit of info, he lives in AZ and frequently drives in temps over 100f.

The M1 0w-40 is a very good "performance" oil with alot of factory approvals on some very high end sports cars. It should work very well for your friend. Was it a stock rebuild or a performance build?

I had a budddy with an MR2 turbo that was putting down 450hp(internally stock) at the wheels until one of the two fuel pumps blew a fuse causing it to go lean and subsequently grenading during a full poweer run. Love the 3s-gte motor.

Last edited:
Being it's a 91, I'd probably go with a 0w40. Don't get too hung up on viscosity though, look for an oil that meets demanding specs. M1 0w40 is one of them.

He says the engine was rebiult to mostly stock with a mild performance cam, manual boost controller set at 16psi, and an ECU tune.

I used to laugh at the mr-2 cars when I'd see them til I drove my friends with a turbo.
What a blast to drive. Economy car mileage and corners so hard your brains will fall out of your ears.

As far as oil goes you can't go wrong with any euro 0w-40. They are turbo approved and are great oils.
And 26 bucks a jug at Walmart is hard to beat.

any oil that pass euro norm sn gf-5 etc will do well ,since that thing is supercharged (never saw a factory stock turbo version ,he might be better with a thicker oil)I aint sure how supercharger make oil behave!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
any oil that pass euro norm sn gf-5 etc will do well ,since that thing is supercharged (never saw a factory stock turbo version ,he might be better with a thicker oil)I aint sure how supercharger make oil behave!

No sir, it is FACTORY turbocharged.

mobil delvac1 le 5w30 ,nevermind the achronim,but find a oil that meet what this oil meet and your in business,or the shell t6 0w40
the oil should be ,sn,gf-5,acea9,cj-4 .it probably wont say gf-5 or sn but usually if one or the other is present and its cj-4 acea9 don't sweat it ,it pass the sn or gf-5 (depending where you live)

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
it probably wont say gf-5 or sn but usually if one or the other is present and its cj-4 acea9 don't sweat it ,it pass the sn or gf-5 (depending where you live)

No oil certified CJ-4 will meet GF-5.

Thanks for the replies, I'll tell him to give the M1 0w-40 a try. Don't think it could hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back