Pep Boys mounting and balancing work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys trust Pep Boys to mount and balance your new tires? The reason why I ask is because America's Tire Store doesn't have the General Altimax RT43 in stock, Pep Boys does. If you guys think Pep Boys will screw something up, I can always buy the tires at Pep Boys and then take them over to America's Tire Store to have them mounted and balanced.

Probably depends on the Pep-Boys. I'd go talk to them to get a feeling of their attitude and whether they have a bunch of smart mouth drop-outs doing the work.

I wouldn't let Pep Boys put air in my tires.

You're usual tire store won't order them for you?

My local tire store will order any tire I wanted. Even though they're Michelin dealer they would order Goodyears or Bridgestones or any other brand just to keep a customer.

Hello, It's a case by case (to the 3rd power, at least) consideration.
1) The employee can be a caring, knowledgeable garage worker or a work-release meth-head crack dealer.
2) The balancing equipment at the Pep Boys you go to could be newly installed (yeah, right!) or abused, neglected machinery.
3) The shop may or may not have the weights which fit your rim style.

All I know is that when a Pep Boys opened in the county seat near me a kindly old lady who was writing service orders and had worked all over the county all her life told me she had never seen so many complaints.

Were they legit complaints or just mouth traffic from cheapskates (Pep Boys' target customers)?
It's a sorry state of affairs but it's clearly in today's societal mix.
Go there and communicate with them and see what you think.

edit: Just read Eddie's post. Like minds think alike. Kira

You can't order the tires at America's Tire/Discount Tire? I prefer to purchase there, especially since you can get in and out a lot quicker when is comes time for tire rotations in the future.

My experiences at Discount Tire have always been much more positive than with the boys at Pep.

I had purchased cooper V rated tires at pep boys way back (for my contour!) and I had the car back 3 times to get the balance right - finally the lead tech/manager had to do it and it was fine. Had a similar experience recently at Town Fair Tire with some NEXEN CP for the wifes Subaru. All depends on the tech - I think a bunch of 'em are using entry level tech jobs at tire stores as a half way house program.

I bought these tires online and they were shipped to my local AAA auto center for free. They did an excellent job and even gave me a discount on the bill due to my AAA membership. I was going to go the Discount Tire direct route but it was more expensive.

The tires? Superb.

I've gotten tires the local DT/(AT) store didn't have in stock several times previously. Both times it only took 2 days to get them in store. Me, I'd order from AT, wait, and and keep the total package including LT balance and rotation with them. And DT has always matched or beaten the best price I could find, online or otherwise.

Know nothing abt PB but based on several comments in this thread, they don't sound like DT/AT which is a dedicated tire sales and service chain.

It depends on whos doing the work. I have a friend thats worked at pb for over 20 yrs. He is very meticulas and puts every bolt back and every wire loom back on its clips. But pb is pretty expensive compared to americas tires prices.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Would you guys trust Pep Boys to mount and balance your new tires? The reason why I ask is because America's Tire Store doesn't have the General Altimax RT43 in stock, Pep Boys does. If you guys think Pep Boys will screw something up, I can always buy the tires at Pep Boys and then take them over to America's Tire Store to have them mounted and balanced.

Probably. I would expect Pep Boys to realistically get it almost right 90% of the time. Why screw around though? Take them to the Mom and Pop shop that does it right and spring for the extra $20.

Even junky cars driven by poor people have big, fancy wheels, and I'll bet that pep boys' sales of tires are on par with most tire stores. So they've seen their share. And unlike nuances with different vehicles, tires are standardized so the process is all the same.

I'd wash the wheels and take a photo of each with a newspaper next to it for recording. A slob can do a poor job anywhere.

My biggest concern with any tire shop would be them overtorquing the lugs and warping my rotors.

I'd see if they're real anal about their policies re torque wrenches.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I've gotten tires the local DT/(AT) store didn't have in stock several times previously. Both times it only took 2 days to get them in store. Me, I'd order from AT, wait, and and keep the total package including LT balance and rotation with them. And DT has always matched or beaten the best price I could find, online or otherwise.

Know nothing abt PB but based on several comments in this thread, they don't sound like DT/AT which is a dedicated tire sales and service chain.

Me too. The tire brand/size I like weren't in stock, they ordered it and 2-3 days later they called for me to come for install.

I do buy some parts/oil at Pep Boys, but their services are not the greatest.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ Would the Yokohama AVID Touring-S be a better tire than the Arizonian?

I have Yokohama AVID Touring-S on my LS400 right now, it had Yokohama older version AVID Touring. Nice rise and quiet, it probably will lasted about 55-60k miles. The bonus is Yokohama AVID Touring-S is made in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back