Any opinions on Resolute oil from Fleet Farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried a search on it but didn't come up with anything, but I am new and may have searched wrong.
I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience with Resolute oil from Fleet Farm. I decided to try it when I did an oil change on one of the cars a few months ago. So far it seems like it is just fine. But I know things that seem good can still be bad.
I used conventional 5w-30 in a 2000 Cavalier with a 2.4 that was very well maintained by the previous owner. It has been just over 2000 miles and 5 months since the oil change and the oil still looks like new. It also started just as good on cold mornings as it did with the Havoline from the shop down the road. I thought that may be worth a mention because I used Citgo Superguard synthetic blend 5w-20 in my Focus and it became really hard to start on 10 below or colder mornings. The Havoline 5w-20 blend started at 35 below with no problems. It was so bad that I drained it at 1500 miles and it was pretty dirty. I ended up putting Valvoline high mileage in that one and I am very impressed by it so far. But if the Resolute turns out to be as good for a lot less money it's an easy choice. Especially with 5 vehicles in the household. But I can't help but wonder if it's too good to be true.

By the way I change my oil every 4-5000 miles and always on time. And I will change it early if I am going on a long trip. My focus I do between 3-4000 miles in the winter because it idles a lot with the remote start and it has 177,000 hard miles on it. I also noticed oil seems to look cleaner longer by using anything other than a Fram filter. Lately I use factory branded filters since they are pennies more than Fram usually.

I sometimes wonder if that is really necessary though. The Focus I bought new for my ex when we were still married. I had the oil changed every 5000 miles at the dealer for 3 years. Then we got divorced. from 2005-2012 it went from 15-20,000 miles between oil changes. She gave it to me in 2012 because the transmission was acting up. A solenoid fixed that. The top end of the engine is noisier than new, but other than that it runs just as good as the day I bought it. Yet I can't make myself go more than 5000 miles without changing it.

Are all the oils listed cheaper then supertech from Walmart, since your talking about price, $17.47 for 5 quartz of Full Synthetic (really good cold flow properties) great oil on paper and from how it performed in my civic, good UOA on here as well, SupetTech $12.72 for 5 quartz of conventional another good deal.

You being in Minnesota I would recommend Supertech Full Synthetic all year around.

Resolute is usually on sale 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug of synthetic blend or conventional and 15 bucks for full synthetic. It seems to be on sale at least 2 weeks a month.

Also it started easier in the cold with Havoline conventional oil that it did with Citgo synthetic blend. So I am not sure a full synthetic is always better in the cold.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Also it started easier in the cold with Havoline conventional oil that it did with Citgo synthetic blend. So I am not sure a full synthetic is always better in the cold.

In your original post you said Havoline blend. I have used blends in the winter and I find a full synthetic gives me better cold starts than any blend I have tried. I like to use either Mobil 1 or PP in the winter. I use a blend in the spring / summer. Good luck.

I'm running it right now and coming to the end of a 3k clean up OCI in the Kia. The 5-30 flavor is a syn blend I think (according to the bottle). IIRC, the sign on the display at FF indicated this oil is made for FF by Citgo. +1 on the VOA too please, I'd like to see what's in there!

Last edited:
I've been using it for years. Just picked up a case of the 5-20 syn blend for 2.25 a qt. Cant beat it. Never an issue.

I guess I didn't word or reference that very well. The Tires plus down the road used to do Havoline conventional oil changes for $17.95. She took the car there when she had it, And I did too. After I had the car a year and it still ran, I started getting the synthetic blend from them. Their price for conventional oil changes went to $21.95 for conventional and synthetic blend was $24.95 and I figured the 3 bucks was worth it. But lately I have been doing it my self. I only save a few bucks, But I enjoy doing it, It only takes about 15 min, and I don't have to sit in the waiting area for a half hour to 45 min.

Really, I'm of the opinion that any name brand or store-brand oil from a large chain is perfectly fine for 99% of cars/drivers. I mean look at SuperTech, everyone was wary and suspicious of a Walmart brand oil, but now it's one of the most recommended oils on BITOG. Resolute is API SN certified, didn't check any of the other Manufacturers' certs. I might try some their 20w50 "race oil" or Farm Rated 15w40 HDEO (or Maybe the Mystic JT8 syn-blend 15w50 HDEO) in my bike once I run out of Mobil 1 15w50.

Last edited:
Just put 4qts of the Resolute 5w30 syn in my parents' Aztek... and figured out the old oil probably didn't need to be changed. Reading the manual, the "oil life monitor" in the car is little better than the oil change lights that use mileage. It calculates the OCI based on how you drive... but doesn't have any way to monitor actual oil quality. So the synthetic that was in there probably had plenty of life left.

A friend of mine that I work with uses Resolute oil and that is all he uses in his car and has 300,000 on his Chevy .

Andy

I tried a search on it but didn't come up with anything, but I am new and may have searched wrong.

http://resoluteoil.com/products/

The MSDS link has cST (flow) for some products, but I cannot correlate the Resolute web page with the Fleet Farm listed products, nor do I see anything about the API starburst on either site.

I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience with Resolute oil from Fleet Farm. I decided to try it when I did an oil change on one of the cars a few months ago. So far it seems like it is just fine. But I know things that seem good can still be bad.
I used conventional 5w-30 in a 2000 Cavalier with a 2.4 that was very well maintained by the previous owner. It has been just over 2000 miles and 5 months since the oil change and the oil still looks like new. It also started just as good on cold mornings as it did with the Havoline from the shop down the road. I thought that may be worth a mention because I used Citgo Superguard synthetic blend 5w-20 in my Focus and it became really hard to start on 10 below or colder mornings. The Havoline 5w-20 blend started at 35 below with no problems. It was so bad that I drained it at 1500 miles and it was pretty dirty. I ended up putting Valvoline high mileage in that one and I am very impressed by it so far. But if the Resolute turns out to be as good for a lot less money it's an easy choice. Especially with 5 vehicles in the household. But I can't help but wonder if it's too good to be true.

As far as I know, there's no real lower limit to how little synthetic goes into a synthetic blend... many oils bottom-out around -30F so you may be seeing the difference between the two that would otherwise rarely make a difference.

jmb3675 said:
By the way I change my oil every 4-5000 miles and always on time. And I will change it early if I am going on a long trip. My focus I do between 3-4000 miles in the winter because it idles a lot with the remote start and it has 177,000 hard miles on it. I also noticed oil seems to look cleaner longer by using anything other than a Fram filter. Lately I use factory branded filters since they are pennies more than Fram usually.

Dirty oil means the oil is doing its job, suspending dirt so that the oil filter can trap it. It speaks more about the engine condition, or perhaps oil that came before it, then the current oil. It is not unusual for a change of oil brands to cause a particularly dirty oil color. That's because one brand cleans some things and deposits others, and the new brand a different set of each.

I sometimes wonder if that is really necessary though. The Focus I bought new for my ex when we were still married. I had the oil changed every 5000 miles at the dealer for 3 years. Then we got divorced. from 2005-2012 it went from 15-20,000 miles between oil changes. She gave it to me in 2012 because the transmission was acting up. A solenoid fixed that. The top end of the engine is noisier than new, but other than that it runs just as good as the day I bought it. Yet I can't make myself go more than 5000 miles without changing it.

Engines can sludge-up during 15K to 20K intervals, the cleaning effect of an oil change can free up all the junk and clog the new oil filter and possibly oil passages... even still, the greatest hazard of long OCI's like that is running out of oil. As long as some oil is still in there, most engines will run OK... most of the time... I like to stay on the side closer to "all of the time".

If I was running in -35F weather, I'd run a full synthetic during Winter, and/or switch to a Zero grade (0w-30 instead of 5w-30, for example).

Sorry, I have no personal experience with Resolute Oil.

HF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back