Should I use Lubegard Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently did a pan drop, filter and fill on my Trailblazer. Got out about 5 quarts and replaced another 2 quarts out awhile after through the dipstick hole, so I have a majority of the old fluid out. I have been reading good things about Lubegard red and had been thinking of trying it. Anything I need to worry about using this in my 4L60E?

I've been using Lubeguard Red for about 5 years now and on 3 different vehicles. These vehicles have all been in great running condition and I didn't notice any difference.

That said, this stuff is supposed to provide many benefits, particularly with transmission temperature. It is inexpensive, recommended by some manufacturers and transmission shops, so why not?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lubeguard is not needed with dex 6 but if you used a mineral dex/merc it has some benefits.

I use LubeGard Red in the same vehicle with Petro-Canada Dexron-VI and monitor my ATF temperatures rigorously with my ScanGauge-II. Adding two bottles of LGR dropped my ATF temperatures by an average of 11 F and did away with torque converter shudder. It also cured hard shifts when the unit is cold.

My suggestion to the OP would be to use it, albeit go with a higher dose (2 bottles) instead of the standard recommendation.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Lubeguard is not needed with dex 6 but if you used a mineral dex/merc it has some benefits.

I use LubeGard Red in the same vehicle with Petro-Canada Dexron-VI and monitor my ATF temperatures rigorously with my ScanGauge-II. Adding two bottles of LGR dropped my ATF temperatures by an average of 11 F and did away with torque converter shudder. It also cured hard shifts when the unit is cold.

My suggestion to the OP would be to use it, albeit go with a higher dose (2 bottles) instead of the standard recommendation.

I thought about going two bottles instead of one. Hoping to get the Aisin A246E in my Vibe to at least 200,000 miles as it is paid off and reliable.

I'm putting 2 bottles in my 196,000 mile GMC Sierra 4L60E.

Great stuff.

I use it even with full synthetic Amsoil ATF.
The stuff has OEM approvals, is used by many transmission rebuilders in every unit they rebuild, and no bad press that i have seen anyway.

Their claim of lowering temp can be and has been validated easily with a scan tool.
Synthetics fluid probably benefit less from it but still for the money its not bad as a preventive maintenance thing IMHO.
LG has a good reputation and not known as a snake oil producer.

OK just got 2 bottles as my tranny takes 11.3 quarts total. So u guys are saying to use both bottles? Also, my tranny fluid is right at the end of the hot mark on my dipstick so its close to being overfilled. Should I siphon a little out before adding Lubegard?

This statement is based on nothing but speculation.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

This statement is based on nothing but speculation.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2549459&page=2

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
In another thread Trav mentioned using two bottles, so I decided to add a second one. Difference was almost immediate (vs. 50 miles for the first bottle) and shifts smoother still. LG says a second bottle is fine, that you can't OD the stuff.

For transmissions that use the newer low viscosity fluids, I don't think aftermarket fluids are needed. The newer low vis fluids have improved anti-oxidants and better friction modifiers and better viscosity index numbers.

Well, I siphoned 2.5 QTS out of the tranny dipstick hole. Added only 2 QTS back and poured both bottles of Lubegard and took it down the road to distribute it through the transmission. Thought I read that it's best to let this stuff soak in the clutch packs over night so after my short drive it's parked til 6am.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
Just recently did a pan drop, filter and fill on my Trailblazer. Got out about 5 quarts and replaced another 2 quarts out awhile after through the dipstick hole, so I have a majority of the old fluid out. I have been reading good things about Lubegard red and had been thinking of trying it. Anything I need to worry about using this in my 4L60E?

I used it in my Honda.

it makes the trans run cooler, or at least it suppose to
smile.gif

It won't do any harm. I poured a bottle of the Platinum in my Ranger when I did a pan drop/filter change with Mercon V. Obviously a different trans, but one of the same era in transmission design and manufacturing. I haven't noticed any difference in how the truck shifts (a good thing), and temps may be slightly lower, though it is hard to tell because this trans has never been over 190*F anyway according to the Scangauge.

A coworker used the "Instant Shudder Fixx" version (think concentrated red) in his Expedition 4R70W that had some shudder at 250K+ miles, and it almost completely eliminated the shudder. He took the Expedition on a 2K mile trip recently after adding the Instant Shudder Fixx and it did well.

I am skeptical of transmission fluid additives as transmissions tend to be a sensitive component, but Lubegard seems to make quality products that work as intended. I have never heard a complaint about their products.

No. You should not use Lubegard although I doubt that will stop you from using it.

How is Lubegard formulated? How is this beneficial to your transmission with the formulated ATF you are using?

Now if your transmission has some problems I would say go ahead and give Lubegard a try you would have nothing to lose.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I also add Lubegard Red to Amsoil ATF on my 4L60E Tranny.

196,000 HARD, Trailer Towing Miles and not one single issue!!

Originally Posted By: Trav
The stuff has OEM approvals, is used by many transmission rebuilders in every unit they rebuild, and no bad press that i have seen anyway.

Their claim of lowering temp can be and has been validated easily with a scan tool.
Synthetics fluid probably benefit less from it but still for the money its not bad as a preventive maintenance thing IMHO.
LG has a good reputation and not known as a snake oil producer.

I use it with synthetic ATF too, it's a great product.

I already added it. My shifts seemed a tad smoother and on time this morning but can't be sure just yet as I haven't driven it enough to see if any difference was made. I've heard the 4L60E trannys are not the smoothest any way so it may not make a difference. Apparently the harsh upshift from 1-2 is just a characteristic of this transmission although I wouldn't call mine harsh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back