Honda ATF temp via scan tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to have the ability to watch ATF temps in a 2013 Honda pickup. I know the data is there in the OBD II data, because there is a temp sensor in the tranny, and because Honda can monitor ATF temps with their dealer tools. I had hoped that the ScanGauge II would do it (the company is 'local' to me), but it will not on Hondas.

Do you know of any scan tools that an 'average joe' can afford that will display ATF temps in Hondas? Thanks.

Interesting, thanks. I do not personally own a cellular phone of any type, and my work one is a Blackberry. I have a personal Blackberry tablet. I'm thinking Torque PRO will not be an option for me(?)

I'll muck around their forum a bit.

If a blackberry tablet will support Apps then you're done
smile.gif

If not, you need to buy a cheap smartphone that supports Apps, or get a multimeter and splice into the wires that connect to the sensor.

Chances are its a thermistor - once you know if its NTC or PTC you can watch the values on your meter and know how hot it is
wink.gif

Since this is not in the standard OBD-II PID, it is more likely that amateur scanners will NOT be able to get the transmission oil temperature. Despite being the name "Pro" in the title, TorquePro is not a professional scanner!

Now if somebody has reverse engineered the Honda scanner (HDS) and found the appropriate PID and managed to convince TorquePro to include that in their software, it will get that temperature. I do not believe that has happened yet.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Since this is not in the standard OBD-II PID, it is more likely that amateur scanners will NOT be able to get the transmission oil temperature. Despite being the name "Pro" in the title, TorquePro is not a professional scanner!

Now if somebody has reverse engineered the Honda scanner (HDS) and found the appropriate PID and managed to convince TorquePro to include that in their software, it will get that temperature. I do not believe that has happened yet.

Probably true..
All the more reason to find out the specs of the sensor and splice your multimeter into the wires. You'd be surprised how quickly you learn to convert Ohms to Degrees C.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I'd really like to have the ability to watch ATF temps in a 2013 Honda pickup. I know the data is there in the OBD II data, because there is a temp sensor in the tranny, and because Honda can monitor ATF temps with their dealer tools. I had hoped that the ScanGauge II would do it (the company is 'local' to me), but it will not on Hondas.

Do you know of any scan tools that an 'average joe' can afford that will display ATF temps in Hondas? Thanks.

I have scan tools that give me this info but they are not cheap. The best and cheapest thing to use is a add on gauge.
On the Honda an in-line electric sending unit will work fine. You could even do a 2 or 3 gauge pod and add engine oil temp and pressure.

On both of our Hondas, Torque Pro displays the "transmission fluid temperature", but it's simply a mirror of the "engine coolant temperature". It looks like you can program a custom PID into a ScanGauge; that's neat. I don't think you can do this with Torque Pro.

The BB Playbook will run most all Android apps. That's why Google no longer lets you download apps from websites; only from them and only if you have a registered android phone.
wink.gif

That ROC thread is interesting. My search there missed it, and my live-person phone call to Linear Logic yesterday conflicted with what that person has. I'll have to give LL another call.

On a related note, I know where the factory ATF temp sensor is, and I know what 'normal operating temp' should be, voltage-wise. What I don't know is what temp is 'normal' to Honda's FSM writers.
smile.gif
The range of voltage the FSM says the sending unit should show me is 0.2 - 4.0 V, with 'normal operating temp' at 1.8 V. Any thoughts as to whether this general info is likely compatible with aftermarket gauges, such as Autometers?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Isn't there an external thermocouple which you can hook up to the transmission case to get an idea about the fluid temperature? It would be lot simpler to do that way rather than splicing in to factory internal temperature sensor.

Isn't there an external thermocouple which you can hook up to the transmission case to get an idea about the fluid temperature? It would be lot simpler to do that way rather than splicing in to factory internal temperature sensor.

The factory sensor is easy to access, and the wiring would be super-simple; just 2 posi-taps and done.

I've considered an external thermocouple. What's the correlation between external case temp and sump or internal temp in any particular area? IME external pan temps aren't that tightly correlated with bulk or specific-area internal temps on engines. Not so sure about A/Ts.

Despite being the name "Pro" in the title, TorquePro is not a professional scanner!
Oh do hold up!
hold_up_meme.jpg

It's not perfect, But it's damm close to a multiple thousand dollar SnapOn and Autel scan tools. And if you have a Ford, FORScan is really close to a IDS.

It's Pro, for $25.

I (niether should you) don't expect a $4.95 scanner to substitute $5000 scanner (and annual fee of $5000 to go with it). Granted, that $4.95 scanner does beat all of the other $495 scanners in the market.

And that is NOT a slam on Ian or Torque Pro; it is the best option for us aka non-professionals.

I was not aware of the FORScan. Are there other add-ons for other manufacturers aka HDS/Techstream emulations?

Understood......
I'd get a Maxidas if I could score the cheap $250 eBay ones

FORScan is a CANBUS FoMoCo exclusive only, there's some support for hybrids, Jag, LR, Mazda etc.....

For Honda's I don't have a solution
There's some knockoff Techstreams on eBay that kinda work, I've gotta get me one.

I hear highly of AutoEnginuity, but $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back