Tipping Carpenters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house had termite damaged, the repair(removed the damages and replaced with new wood and facial boards ...) costs about $6500 and $3200 for fumigation. The carpenters are working on the house repairing the damages as of now, they seems to work very hard.

I'm thinking about tipping them, my question is did anyone ever tip the workers repairing your house ? If you did, what is appropriate amount ?

Well, I don't really know, but a few cases of beer and/or something similar always made them happy over here.

Tipping them some extra money is nice too, but I wouldn't know how much is sensible..

As a self employed carpenter with 30+ employees if my customer wanted to do something extra then buy the guys a pizza at lunch.
If I ever found out my men accepted money from a customer I would fire them immediately.
Beer if fine too,on a Friday at quitting time and only provide enough for 2 for each man.

I occasionally get tips for working at a customers AC or installing, it's usually $10 or $20. Just a little statistic, there are people from all over the country here in Florida but ive noticed that people from New York tip almost always. I usually try to tip contractors who work at my house.

I always tip my mechanic who works on my vehicle. The shop owner knows that I tip them. Mechanics always resist but I insist.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

If I ever found out my men accepted money from a customer I would fire them immediately.

Why? If they did such a good job and the customer is that overjoyed with the work, why would you be upset if the customer gave them a few bucks?
I have done this several times, once on a roof job, and when a concrete delivery driver helped me by putting on boots and directing the chute a few times, i gave him a $20.

Last edited:
People have offered me tips for the work I do. I know they want to be nice, but quite frankly, it makes me feel very awkward. I get paid to do what I do and I take pride in doing what I do and feel good in a job well done, so a "tip" makes me feel like a servant or underling. But I'll say this as well . . . . . if the lady of the house offers me a good ole' southern home cooked meal for lunch complete with fried corn bread and sweet tea, I'm a ready freddy.

A couple of years ago, I had a construction company of 8 guys put up a 40' X 50' metal shed for me. IIRC, it took them about two days. They were a very professional crew and their work was first rate. I first went to their boss and asked his if his crew liked beer and if had any recovering alcoholics on his crew. He told me that he did not have any problem drinkers. I then went to a liquor store that was located right next to their business and got 8 gift certificates for $16.50, the exact amount that the liquor store was selling a twelve pack of Bud Light, taxes included. When the crew was done, I had the foreman of the crew give each employee one of the gift certificates to each of his crew.
I bumped into one of the employees on the street about a month after that. He thanked me in person and was wondering if I needed any more construction work done....

I hate tipping period. For everything. Especially when the tip is "required" as more or less supporting the wages of the person or product. I would much rather the tip be incorporated into the cost of the product and make tipping what it was supposed to be - giving something in exchange for super good work. Having a tip jar on every counter or at the bottom of receipts just disgusts me.

Buying the guys some pizza for lunch sounds like a great way to reward their good work, especially for a job that does not require a tip.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Why? If they did such a good job and the customer is that overjoyed with the work, why would you be upset if the customer gave them a few bucks?
I have done this several times, once on a roof job, and when a concrete delivery driver helped me by putting on boots and directing the chute a few times, i gave him a $20.

Because I am a professional and I pay my men very well already.
I've given a quote to the customer and that's what I expect to be paid,and from that I pay my men.
My customers and my men should not even speak to be honest,it's not professional and if my men will take money behind my back then there is no telling what they will do when I'm not looking therefore they don't belong on my crew or site.
If the customer wants to buy lunch or beer on Fridays I'm fine with that,as long as its only a couple each.
It's not ok to start throwing money around,I pay my men very well,every second Friday without fail,they WILL NOT accept money from a customer.
If the customer is so happy with their performance they can tell all their friends and give me a glowing referral.

As a self employed carpenter with 30+ employees if my customer wanted to do something extra then buy the guys a pizza at lunch.
Beer if fine too,on a Friday at quitting time and only provide enough for 2 for each man.
I don't think firing someone for accepting a tip would go over well with the Labour board.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
A couple of years ago, I had a construction company of 8 guys put up a 40' X 50' metal shed for me. IIRC, it took them about two days. They were a very professional crew and their work was first rate. I first went to their boss and asked his if his crew liked beer and if had any recovering alcoholics on his crew. He told me that he did not have any problem drinkers. I then went to a liquor store that was located right next to their business and got 8 gift certificates for $16.50, the exact amount that the liquor store was selling a twelve pack of Bud Light, taxes included. When the crew was done, I had the foreman of the crew give each employee one of the gift certificates to each of his crew.
I bumped into one of the employees on the street about a month after that. He thanked me in person and was wondering if I needed any more construction work done....

This would be fine with me. It does make the guys feel appreciated but doesn't over-step boundaries.
I feel that my manpower is just that. They stink,they look a bit rough but the workmanship is of the highest quality and they get their money from me,not my employer.
It is about boundaries and there is a line that needs to be drawn and adhered to. I'm not comfortable with my customer handing out cash to my men,they are already being paid top rate and my customer is also paying top rate since I'm certain I'm not the cheapest price they got tendered.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I don't think firing someone for accepting a tip would go over well with the Labour board.

Pfffft.
The labour board is an effort in futility. They have absolutely no power whatsoever and they can't tell me how to run my business.
The labour board is a joke on the highest level and an utter waste of tax dollars.
I can run my business however I see fit and the labour board cannot do anything to change that.
That comment made me laugh. Like out loud.
Hilarious.
This ain't the union,and crying to some government agency for taking money behind your employers back really doesn't look good on the employee.
This isn't a restaurant,and my manpower aren't servers.
Your comment does tell me a lot about you though. When you've called the labour board did you get far?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Why should they have a problem with it if he's made it clear he's got a no tip policy? Is there some regulation against that up there? It goes against the business owner's concept of professionalism and that should be that.

One could also argue that allowing tips could present a conflict of interest or undermine Clevy's authority. It is his ship and he should be allowed to run it as he sees fit.

My FIL is a carpenter and he just likes it best when you ooh and aww over the quality of his work. And stay out of his hair otherwise.

A few folks tried to tip me when I worked as a tire monkey. Felt weird. We weren't supposed to accept them, but the service writer forwarded them to me.

We got into pickles (no stock etc) where we'd wind up putting the spare on for free and the customer felt bad.

The last time I had work done on my house that took days, I took care of them in the process. I let them keep their tools and supplies in my garage so they didn't have to load/unload everyday. I made them breakfast and made or bought lunch. I let them use my second bathroom, supplied music, a place to sit, and the cooler was always filled with beverages; never alcohol. They did a great job and went the extra mile on everything they did.

+1
If people do a good job for you, treat them right and if you want people to do a good job for you, treat them right.
Most tradesmen will respond well to a little consideration.
All of us are the same in that regard.
It isn't all about what you've agreed to spend on a job.
There are personal factors as well.

Thank you all for your opinions/advices. I know that I can always find good opinions/advices from BITOG'ers.

I would like to show my appreciation for their hard works. I thought about some cash reward/tip but not so sure about legality and it can make them feel awkward.

I think I will buy a couple larger pizzas, sodas and grocery or restaurant gift certificates.

PS If my question seems trivial and/or dumb please forgive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back