Trying an E-Core!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been an anti E-Core guy since I cut a SuperTech ST3600 open and didn't like what I saw (I posted the pics on here a few months ago).

I have been using Motorcraft and Wix filters on my truck. The other day I was at Autozone, and was looking at the STP S3600 filters. I found that looking through the center hole, they were packed with media, and it was evenly spaced (a problem that I had with the ST I cut open). All in all, the STPs looked much better built inside than the STs. It could be that the E-Core is growing up - or difference between name brand and store brand?

Long story short, I bought one. I'm going to use it my next OCI and then cut it open. I will then post pics on here so everyone can see.

I take good care of my cars, so this filter won't be run for an extra long OCI, or on a neglected car. Because of short trips, I run 3K OCIs. I do run my truck hard (I have a Superchips Custom Tuner and do wheel some).

Let the experiment begin
grin.gif

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:
Is this "experiment" on the same order of magnitude as Gary's MMO/ATF in the fuel tank experiment over in the "Additive" section?
cheers.gif

Be bold!! Put MMO/ATF in your tank at the same time as you have the E-Core installed, and really skate on the edge!
shocked.gif

LMAF
lol.gif
I guess I could run with 2 quarts of oil and 3 quarts of LC. That should really clean the engine up. While I'm at it I'll add some AutoRx!

No, I just want to prove to myself that these filters are good or bad. There is so much both ways on here, granted I did add to some of the bad early on.

I just want to give them a fair chance.

I guess we all mature
tongue.gif

Brian

Well, Brian, I'll put you a good distance ahead of me on filters.
cheers.gif
I'm still using ST filters and will until I see a bad one. So far I have not. When I do, more than likely I'll seek out something else.

I have yet to use an ecore (although I have a 3614 ecore sitting at my desk as I type). All in due time.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by windcatcher:
Why would your put a inferior filter in somthing that you depend on and might save your life someday.

The answer is in the brochure. Apparently that quality can be anticipated. If the consumer could care less, well then ...

"Champion Laboratories, Inc. is committed to consistently delivering quality products and services to our customers. We will judge this quality by how well we anticipate and satisfy customer needs."

I refuse to be a beta tester or do customer engineering. Give me many UOAs that demonstrates a superior filter. Acolades and PR are nice to read but, give me some real data.

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:
Hey Brian,

How's the "experiment" going? How many miles until we see what your Ecore oil filter looks like?

About 950 miles to go.

I just added my 2 oz. of LC this weekend.

The oil still looks great, and my oil pressure on my after-market gauge is acting the same as with Wix and MC filters.

I have a feeling that this filter is going to be just fine when I cut it open. We'll see in about a month or so.

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller:

I have a feeling that this filter is going to be just fine when I cut it open. We'll see in about a month or so.

That's too bad... we were all hoping for something new to rant about. If the E-Core turns out OK, then maybe I'll have to reveal how easily the paint comes off Wix filters if you spray them with brake cleaner.
shocked.gif

quote:

... then maybe I'll have to reveal how easily the paint comes off Wix filters if you spray them with brake cleaner.
shocked.gif

Yea, I have noticed that also.

As for the STP e-core, I know the filter size is way different (bigger) for my application between the STP and the ST.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

... then maybe I'll have to reveal how easily the paint comes off Wix filters if you spray them with brake cleaner.
shocked.gif

Yea, I have noticed that also.

As for the STP e-core, I know the filter size is way different (bigger) for my application between the STP and the ST.

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable running that little thimble 6607 that the book lists on our Hyundai.

Has anyone cut one open? Is there close to the same amount of media inside? It sure looks small on the outside.

I once cut open a B6Y214302 Mazda thimble, 112 sqin., or almost as much as a larger AC PF 47, and half again as much as a much larger Fram PH 3950. It is possible the newer, smaller filters use a higher quality media.

Some of this hysteria about the new Ecore reminds me of an engineer advising me not to purchase any technology for the factory I was managing that didn't have a proven 20 year history.

Hey Brian,

How's the "experiment" going? How many miles until we see what your Ecore oil filter looks like?

I have a Ecore ValuCraft/Autozone 3614 filter in my car now. I am going to change the oil this weekend. I am going to cut the filter open just to check it out.

I just changed my oil and had been running a ST3614 e-core. I think the e-core worked just fine. I didn't cut it open when I was done but I shined a flashlight through the center hole and the media looked fine. I got a great deal on some Fram Extended Guards, otherwise I would have stayed with the e-cores.

I'm on my fifth Ecore ST-3614 filter on my Corolla, and I've cut open the first four. They're completely intact.

The pleats aren't spaced evenly, but it doesn't matter. It appears that where there are large gaps in the pleat spacing, the felt endcaps bend in slightly to relieve the pressure on the seams. With the metal endcaps, they would have a tendancy to tear at the encap-media interface.

I am very happy with the Ecore design. I plan to continue using them, and cutting them open. When I get a few more, I'll post a picture of all of them cut open.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller:
...I'm not real comfortable running that little thimble 6607 that the book lists on our Hyundai...

Forget that 6607 pre-schoolers' "tricycle" filter. Use a 3593A instead. As far as I know, the 3593A is not an e-core design yet, but when it is eventually converted, I won't hesitate to use that version either.

quote:

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable running that little thimble 6607 that the book lists on our Hyundai.

Has anyone cut one open? Is there close to the same amount of media inside? It sure looks small on the outside.

Search filters under Hyundai. Blupher cut up a ST and a Hyundai OEM. The thimble has thimble sized media. Your Hyundais use the same threads/gasket as Honda's and Mitsubishis. The 7317 and maybe 3593 should fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back