New Kubota zero turn advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite already finding a fair bit of valuable advice out there on the net I figured I would ask here specifically given the general high quality advice metered out on BITOG…

As a father’s day/wedding anniversary gift for dad we went with him to pick up his first zero turn mower. After a lot of research and comparisons he pulled the trigger on the Kubota Z121S. The build and cut quality are awesome! Even though it is Kubota’s first foray into the “pro-sumer” market it seems every bit as well engineered as the G1800 we use at the lake house.

Despite never having driven a ZT he has gotten used to it fairly quickly but I am wondering if anyone has special insight as to use and maintenance. He has read the manual cover to cover but it has been my experience that folks with first hand experience often have specific insight that can be beneficial.

Plus, it’s fun to share new stuff with folks who may be as nerdy about equipment as I am.

How much use will this thing see?

All I can say is just change the oil yearly or hourly whichever comes first. Kubotas are pretty problem free when taken care of, but it looks like your G1800 has already taught you that.

Have fun with the new toy.

That's funnier than the joke I just read in the humor forum. Sounds like dad will be okay.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
...I figured I would ask here specifically given the general high quality advice metered out on BITOG…

op, luv those z-turn mowers, I wish I had a bigger yard so I could get one of those :)

I DON'T own one,
you have:
1. Air cooled v-twin
2. Hydrostatic transmission

I would switch to synthetic for both after break-in

Make sure you follow what is required for warranty.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That's funnier than the joke I just read in the humor forum. Sounds like dad will be okay.

...I figured I would ask here specifically given the general high quality advice metered out on BITOG…

Yeah there's this one guy here who constantly hates on Valvoline for no apparent reason.. He's one of many.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Yeah there's this one guy here who constantly hates on Valvoline for no apparent reason.. He's one of many.

laugh.gif

Outstanding!

Originally Posted By: stockrex
op, luv those z-turn mowers, I wish I had a bigger yard so I could get one of those :)

I DON'T own one,
you have:
1. Air cooled v-twin
2. Hydrostatic transmission

I would switch to synthetic for both after break-in

Make sure you follow what is required for warranty.

You mean like one of these?
grin.gif

This one is Gravelys top of the line model with air ride seat, rubber isolated engine cradle, isolated foot platform, isolated seat platform and Kohler closed loop EFI. Not cheap but it is what we do for a living. One of the smoothest operating machines on the market today.

Part of my front yard.

I run amsoil in everything we own except my race car//street rod. That gets the "green" oil.

Last edited:
That Gravely is a nice machine. The folding ROPS is nice. I will be sure to use an additive to counter the effects of ethanol.

Just stay away from ethanol from the get go and run non ethanol fuel if available.

Ethanol blended fuel is all I run in my L series Deere and NEVER had a fuel related issue. I don't stabilize the fuel and I don't drain the gas over the winter. ALWAYS starts and runs like a million bucks. In fact, it runs barely (but perceptibly) better on ethanol blended fuels. The plugs show it's burning perfectly when on E10, and a hair too rich on straight gas.

I would think these engines, or any modern OPE engine is designed to run off of E10? It should specify not to run anything more than that, but I am sure its what they are designed to do.

It does state on the fuel cap that 10% ethanol is acceptable but no more. It'll see enough use to avoid any problem due to sitting. In the off season a little stabilizer seems to do the trick in our other OPE. I wish I had the positive experience others have had with E10 fuels in OPE. I only know I never had to replace fuel lines or rebuild carburators in the equipment that sits awhile between use before the switch. That said, it seems to depend on the equipment. Some of it still gives no trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back