16.5" tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the story behind these? Every 16" tire I mount says (on tire) not to use on 16.5" rims. So I assume 16.5" tires / rims were used in the old daze. When did 16.5 become obsolete, and what examples of vehicles used these?

trucks, the bead edge angles are different and requires much more air pressure to securely hold the tire to the wheel.

165bead.JPG

That is a warning about mismounting sizes but you can see the bead edge differences.

Last edited:
One guy years ago almost lost his head trying to put a 16" tire on a 16.5 rim.He must have put 100psi into it,it blew off the rim launching straight up.His head was overhanging the tire at the time.When it lifted up it caught his nose and almost totally removed it,there was a circular impression in the insulation on the ceiling where the tire slammed into it.He bled like a stuck pig.That was his last mechanic job (he was sure stuck on himself and his supposed "abilities"),the shop closed down after that,and is now part of a convenience store/Mobil gas station.

16.5's used to be standard equipment on one ton GM cargo vans. Dad had a '73 and a '77, and they both came with 16.5" rims.

Took 8.75-16.5 tires. One that I remember was the Uniroyal Fleetmaster Triple Tread. Another was the Duralon Double Duty.

Hello, 16.5" tires were the very first thing I learned about which relegated trucks to the "big leagues".
If you wanted a truck, "...be ready to buy 16.5" tires", I was told. Kira

I remember that warning from changing a lot of tires on farm pickups, but I can't remember which of the sizes I was actually putting on. They would have been 85 series LT, high load tires on things like one-ton duallies.

The shop where I worked had a safety cage for airing up the split wheels with snap rings that were common on heavy trucks and some pickups at least into the eighties. One day a customer brought in an ancient wheel that the old tire man called a "widowmaker." It was a two-piece wheel that somehow stayed together when a lip and groove engaged "just so" as the tube inflated. It sure enough went into the cage, and the shop cleared out when it was aired up.

Yes, a buddy of mine in high school had a mid - seventies Ford F250 and it also had 16.5 inch wheels on it. I believe that he also had a set of BF Goodrich All Terrains in that size.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
What's the story behind these? Every 16" tire I mount says (on tire) not to use on 16.5" rims. So I assume 16.5" tires / rims were used in the old daze. When did 16.5 become obsolete, and what examples of vehicles used these?

The idea behind half inch sizes is to be able to use essentially the same tire and go from tubetype to tubeless. In the big trucks, that means going from a 20" to a 22.5", or 22" to a 24.5".

But in smaller trucks it means going from 16 to 16.5"

16.5's first appeared in the 1960's. My books do not go past 1971 so I can't tell you more exact than that.

They were designed to replace 16" on Ford F-250's and 350's. Where we use LT tires now.

At the time, there was a transition in tire sizing taking place: In passenger cars, the sizing was going from Super Low Section (82 aspect ratio - 7.75-14, 8.55-15) to AlphaNumeric (F78-14, G70-15) In pickups, the smaller ones (F-150's C1500's) used passenger car sizes, but the larger ones (250's,350's. 2500's, 3500's) weren't really changing. They used Low Section (88 aspect ratio: 7.00-15, 7.50-16) - except to say that the half sized tires were being introduced.

Why half size? So tubeless and tubetype would be easy to distinguish. 16" rims could be both ways, and it was causing confusion.

It didn't take too long to discover that people could put 16" tires on 16.5" rims - and because the diameters are different, the beads wouldn't seat. Some people continued to add pressure and sometimes the tires exploded. Numerous fatalities.

So the industry transitioned to kind of tire sizing we see now. Vehicle manufacturers quit using them in the early 1980's.

Unfortunately, these wheels are still in existence.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
My '69 C20 Chevy has 16.5" tires with Split rims.

No, it doesn't. 16.5" tires were designed so they could get rid of split rims - which are very dangerous. All 16.5's are one piece. That was the point of that exercise.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
My 99 silverado had 16.5 rims.

I didn't come that way.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Nayov

The idea behind half inch sizes is to be able to use essentially the same tire and go from tubetype to tubeless. In the big trucks, that means going from a 20" to a 22.5", or 22" to a 24.5".

But in smaller trucks it means going from 16 to 16.5"

16.5's first appeared in the 1960's. My books do not go past 1971 so I can't tell you more exact than that.

They were designed to replace 16" on Ford F-250's and 350's. Where we use LT tires now.

At the time, there was a transition in tire sizing taking place: In passenger cars, the sizing was going from Super Low Section (82 aspect ratio - 7.75-14, 8.55-15) to AlphaNumeric (F78-14, G70-15) In pickups, the smaller ones (F-150's C1500's) used passenger car sizes, but the larger ones (250's,350's. 2500's, 3500's) weren't really changing. They used Low Section (88 aspect ratio: 7.00-15, 7.50-16) - except to say that the half sized tires were being introduced.

Why half size? So tubeless and tubetype would be easy to distinguish. 16" rims could be both ways, and it was causing confusion.

It didn't take too long to discover that people could put 16" tires on 16.5" rims - and because the diameters are different, the beads wouldn't seat. Some people continued to add pressure and sometimes the tires exploded. Numerous fatalities.

So the industry transitioned to kind of tire sizing we see now. Vehicle manufacturers quit using them in the early 1980's.

Unfortunately, these wheels are still in existence.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
My '69 C20 Chevy has 16.5" tires with Split rims.

No, it doesn't. 16.5" tires were designed so they could get rid of split rims - which are very dangerous. All 16.5's are one piece. That was the point of that exercise.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
My 99 silverado had 16.5 rims.

I didn't come that way.

I bought it used so it came to me that way however the rims are without a doubt aftermarket.
My c3 has 17s. Easier to find tires

I know a family member with a '79 F250 that has them. Hard to find anymore. They are putting 16" rims and tires on with the current ones wear out.

I agree a '99 Silverado would never have come OEM with 16.5" rims. Clevy must be mistaken or added them later. Bolt pattern would be the same on a 8-lug wheel from way back then until now on all trucks but the Fords. Ford 8 lug wheels went metric around '99.

My J-20 had 16.5's...my 79 F-350 had them, I replaced them with 16's.

They started being phased out in the mid-80's, though I think some applications (motorhomes, Stepvans) used them until about 1990.

sounds overall like a very bad and dangerous idea, like having a lot of left hand thread fastners here and there in an engine or drive train.
tire assembly is usually done in a hurry, and sometimes the installer is hot and tired all set ups for trouble

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I know a family member with a '79 F250 that has them. Hard to find anymore. They are putting 16" rims and tires on with the current ones wear out.

I agree a '99 Silverado would never have come OEM with 16.5" rims. Clevy must be mistaken or added them later. Bolt pattern would be the same on a 8-lug wheel from way back then until now on all trucks but the Fords. Ford 8 lug wheels went metric around '99.

I didn't add them. I bought the truck used,with 50000 kms on the odo and the rims were on the truck already.
I can say that finding tires hasn't been too difficult as of yet,but I've only bought 2 sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back