Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone just posted the Pep Boys ad and one of there deals is 5 quarts of Royal Purple AND a Royal Purple filter for $39.99, no doubt a great deal for Royal Purple. The question is, is this oil really worth it? I am currently running TGMO 0w20 and a Fram Ultra in the Accord, I like the combo. I wouldnt mind trying something different though. Anybody used Royal Purple, specifically in the 0w20 or 5w20 weights? Also, has anybody used the Royal Purple filters and had issues with those? Thanks! If it really is as great as some make it seem, I wouldnt mind paying a couple extra dollars and giving it a shot.

Royal Purple and the Royal Purple filters are no better then what your running, I'd stick with what ya got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not a good value, but certainly the UOAs I've seen with 5W-20 looked pretty good. Someone ran the 5W-30 in a Mini Cooper for something like 17K and it seemed to hold up well.

It has to be good, it is purple, Imagine if it smelled like wintergreen too....

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would not pay those prices for any boutique oil. It's no better than any of the other available oil.

This is the oil AND filter we are talking about. Right now I pay just under $39 for the TGMO and Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Royal Purple and the Royal Purple filters are no better then what your running, I'd stick with what ya got.

+1.

Back to the pqiamerica 5w30 chart, royal purple showed it wasnt really the cats meow compared to Sopus.Virtually no moly, boron and a noack of almost 11? Im not much into M1 but it looks better than RP. I think the only thing Royal are the royalities your paying to a average oil company with great advertising. I just got my Menards 24 dollar rebate and used it to buy more PP GTL 5w30. Even at full price its only 6.47 a qt. Save your hard earned money and buy a better oil for less. Good luck.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/12000-mile-pledge/

We have used Royal Purple for years now.
thumbsup2.gif

Amazon has a special running as well:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000840781&plgroup=1

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It has to be good, it is purple, Imagine if it smelled like wintergreen too....

Why Wintergreen? Seems like a Grape tootsie pop fragrance would make more sense.

tootsie-pops-133129-im2.jpg

Some of the folks here just make you LAUGH!
crackmeup2.gif

RP API + an RP filter for $39.99 is an excellent deal. The filter itself is usually $15. So that makes the 5qts just $24.99. That is Wal-Mart 5qt jug price on the name brand oils that everyone is always saying is the holy grail of oil pricing.

The anti RP BITOG brigade is always using price to beat up on RP but even when the price is great, like this deal, the peanut gallery still has to bash RP. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds. Where are all those who say "if RP was priced the same as XXX at Wal-Mart I would use it"? Well, here is a chance for those folks to walk the walk.

I wonder how many in this thread bashing RP and saying not to buy it have actually used RP? I have and the UOA's show it is a fine product. I have been using the API 5W20 since it came out and it has done well. Obviously I would prefer the older stuff( API SL )or the newer HPS line as it has synerlec but the SL stuff is gone and I can't use the HPS oils due to warranty. I am perfectly happy with the API line though.

I have used it and it is a fine product. Lots of very opinionated folks here at BITOG who love to preach when they have ZERO experience to back up their comments.
smirk.gif

All the stuff about the color and scent are just infantile as well. Just amazes me the hate for RP on this site.

Last edited:
BITOG is a great site, but its STILL the wrong place to go for RP info. For some reason that remains unknown, RP will never get fair treatment from many posters here.

Many will say its "no better than x-y-z oil" but do they offer any proof to back that up? Most have never even used it, but yet they jump on the anti-RP bandwagon. Now they can't even admit the pricing they love to complain about so much is great!

I don't listen to all their mindless hatred of RP, and you should not either. 5 qts + RP filter (possibly the single best filter ever on the market) is a KILLER DEAL.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Many will say its "no better than x-y-z oil" but do they offer any proof to back that up?

RP filter (possibly the single best filter ever on the market)

hmmm, got some proof to back up the filter claim ?

Most have never even used it, but they jump on the anti-RP bandwagon.
I don't listen to all their mindless hatred of RP, and you should not either. )

I've got RP in the diff of my Nissan, so I've definitely used RP...it hasn't blown up either, so that's not hatred of the product.

But I can't justify using their engine oils (or their super filters)

Originally Posted By: Shannow

hmmm, got some proof to back up the filter claim ?

YEP.

There is an awesome YouTube video about its construction. Look it up and you will clearly see.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

RP API + an RP filter for $39.99 is an excellent deal. The filter itself is usually $15. So that makes the 5qts just $24.99. That is Wal-Mart 5qt jug price on the name brand oils that everyone is always saying is the holy grail of oil pricing.

At $15 the RP filter is overpriced. Fram Ultra's are available every day at WalMart for $7, and you can get M1 5-qt jugs for $28 every day as well. So you can be out the door for $35 with an oil and filter combo that is every bit as good as the RP combo at $40. If it were the Synerlec version of RP, I would think it's a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

But I can't justify using their engine oils (or their super filters)

Maybe you can't, but apparently many others can.

RP net sales:

2009: $72.5 M
2010: $86.8 M
2011: $109.5 M

I am willing to bet the 2012 and 2013 sales have increased even more!

Man thats gotta HURT all the RP haters!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back