Checking tranny fluid: Am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but I can't seem to get an accurate reading when checking my transmission fluid. My manual states that you can do a cold check if the car has been sitting for 8 hours or more with the engine at idle for 5 minutes. Ok. Well my fluid level still is just shy of the cold marks, so now the manual states that I must check it when it's hot. Well I did this all yesterday, and even during a hot check my fluid checked out as being a little low.

I added only what was needed to get it up the the hot mark and went on my way. Today I check it after my drive home, and it checks out that it's low. I don't have any leaks anywhere, as my garage floor is spotless. Even got under the vehicle to see if I could see any leaks or fluid that has blown around the undercarriage and it's as dry as a bone. So I'm guessing that maybe my method for checking it is wrong, but I'm going by the manual. My Trailblazer shifts fine, but I wanna make [censored] sure I've got enough fluid in it and I'm not sure if I'm checking it right. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

When checking hot how many miles are you giving it to warm up? You will know if it's low which at about 2 quarts low it will start shifting funny.

A co worker had a slow leak but couldn't find it but I saw where it was dripping on the hard metal line running to the radiator. Make sure to check all the metal and rubber lines under the hood for wet spots.

A pretty good ways. Yesterday I went to town and back and checked it. Today I checked it when I got home from work and that's about a 15 mile drive. I also check it in the mornings before I leave for work. I've checked and checked, but there's no leaks anywhere at all. I do noticed that sometimes when I first start out in the mornings or after work that my transmission will sometimes shift a little late, but once it warms up it's smooth. Is my fluid really that low? I was really hoping my method to checking it was wrong lol. I did check the dipstick with the vehicle cold and not running to see if it stayed up as high on the dipstick as it did the day prior and it did just to further rule out a leak.

Last edited:
Ugh. Thanks. I just did a pan drop and added back the 5 quarts not too long ago. My buddy checked the dipstick while I was on the phone and said it was good. My fault I guess for not checking it sooner. Just added some to it and gonna take a drive and check and see where I'm at on the dipstick and go from there.

I had a car once that would constantly be low on ATF. No leaks, no puddles on floor, etc. Turns out vacuum modulator was bad and I was burning ATF out the tailpipe.

That last little bit I added did the trick. I just couldn't believe it was low, but about a quart and half is what it was down. SOB.....

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
That last little bit I added did the trick. I just couldn't believe it was low, but about a quart and half is what it was down. SOB.....

yep i had the same issue with my celicas, I have always had hondas which required to check oil fully warmed up with the engine off, on a level ground. That method definitely caused my ATF to be 1-1.5 quart too low.

You need to add little at a time, then after at least a 20 miles highway trip, check your level...do not check after adding really as the added fluid will take a while to completely go down the dip stick (some fluid residue will be on the dip stick tube).

Out of all the things I can do to a vehicle, checking the trans fluid has always been the bane of my existence when it comes to checking my fluids lol. My gf always asks how I can do almost all my own work on my vehicle but can't check the fluid lol.

The way to check ATF level is when the ATF is hot on a Level surface.

Have someone sit in driver's seat with vehicle in D (someone you trust w/ park brake engaged). Then you check level it should be between L and H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back