How do I safely remove an over-tightened drainplug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when they do that. Chances are you'll round off the head of the plug before you strip the threads and then you'll just have to replace the plug.

Like others have posted use a high quality 6 point socket that fits nice and tight and use 24 inch breaker bar or larger. Couple of solid taps with a hammer may also help. The pan or bolt gets stripped when the bolt is put in and overtightened not when it is taken out so don;t worry about stripping it. I personally would run it back over to "bozo-quick" lube and have them break free the overtightened bolt for you. Don;t let them near the car again. Quick lube places do a lot of damage to cars - stripped plugs, filter mounts, ATF in the brake master cylinder, windshield washer fluid in coolant tank, etc. - you name it the horror stories from mistakes by quick lube idiots are never ending and some are extremely expensive. I met a lady few years back that had ATF fluid put in the brake reservoir by a quick lube place, after a little while her brakes started failing and needed multiple componets rebuilt and/or replaced - all seals and master cylinder - a $2k repair bill.

Last edited:
What sort of vehicle is this?

PB Blaster, a breaker bar, and sharp raps with a hammer.

Have a spare plug, pan, and gasket ready. You can always return them later on.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I'm really afraid of stripping the threads. Should I apply smooth, continuous pressure or try to crack it loose with jerking motions?

A couple of good sharp hammer raps on the end of a wrench or old ratchet should do the trick.

This is what I do. Rubber mallet smacks onto the wrench and it almost always loosens it up. Just make sure you have the correct socket on it!

I think it's hilarious that everyone automatically suspects that an impact gun was last used to tighten the drain plug. A strong tug or two with a wrench can easily result in a very very tight drain plug.

If you are having a lot of trouble removing the bolt, then I would suggest an impact gun and a six-pt impact socket. If the pan threads are already damaged, your method of removal will not have an impact.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think it's hilarious that everyone automatically suspects that an impact gun was last used to tighten the drain plug. A strong tug or two with a wrench can easily result in a very very tight drain plug.

I suspect it because I have seen such things many, many times.
When they use the gun on Lug nuts (without a torque bar) it really scares me.

that's what i encountered the first time i tried to change the oil on my neon...

after tugging and yanking for the better part of a half hour, I took the car back to the local Valvoline place (where I had been a loyal money pot, i mean customer, for the better part of 10 yrs..) explained the situation to them, and went ahead and just had them change the oil.

next time around, when i got under the car, it was just a little over finger tight, as it should be.

i ended up replacing the drain plug 2 oci's later, because of the rounded off shoulders from my first attempt.

Many makers use a "crushable" aluminum washer on the bolt...that may have been REUSED rather than replaced. THAT may be the culprit; have a new one on hand, if so required.

The old time method of chisel and hammer. Angle the chisel on edge of plug in
a counterclockwise direction and give it a sharp tap. Will loosen the plug
immediately.

Just put the round end of a wrench on it, hold the wrench on the bolt head with the palm of one hand and tap the wrench with a sledge hammer. It's not all that complicated.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Just put the round end of a wrench on it, hold the wrench on the bolt head with the palm of one hand and tap the wrench with a sledge hammer. It's not all that complicated.

I agree. I'll add that after many, many oil changes for customers, I've never had to use more than my ratchet and the palm of my hand as the hammer (excepting of course, the really rounded off drain plugs where I used a special pipe wrench type pliers). Your mileage may vary of course.

yep....I agree with the above...a six-point socket and impact will turn it out. My grandson changed his oil and forgot the washer for the plug. The plug went in too far and no amount of force would turn it out except an impact....new drain plug (with washer this time) and he was on his way!

I've installed some drain bolts in aluminum pans hand tight and had to fight them getting back off to the point the engine was lifting in order to break em loose the very next time.

When I've encountered plugs that were so tight no amount of force would get them off, I'd end up using a pipe wrench to get it off. It messes up the end of the bolt, so you have to get a new one afterwards. I only do this as a last resort, as I can usually get them off if I have enough room to work with and a long enough wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back