interior black plastic door panel fading

Status
Not open for further replies.
any ideas what i can use to bring back the color to the plastic in the pic where the red line is? it seems to be fading a little, has some whiteness to it. i scrubbed it with some mild cleaner and it's not dried out dressing or anything. it's only a small spot on the top against the window, i'm guessing from the sunlight and heat.
29ehagi.jpg

Meguiars Natural Shine. Have you been using protectants preventitively, or would this be your first time?

Last edited:
There's a couple products I can definitely recommend.

First is Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. This will actually do a pretty decent job and last for quite a while.

Second is Johnson Paste Wax. I've had good luck with this on different surfaces including waterproofing leather like on my motorcycle jacket. I will say it doesn't blacken as much as a dedicated trim restorer but it is more durable so it'll prevent things from getting worse. I like to apply it with a damp cotton rag or foam applicator. Then let it dry for a few minutes and use a horsehair shoe shine brush to buff it to a satin shine. Then let it cure for a few hours or overnight and buff it with a soft cotton or microfiber rag.

i never really put anything on that piece because it's plastic.
now that i think about it, that side of the car faces west when i drive it in the summer and park at work.

It is fading and it needs to be re-dyed. Contact a local auto upholstery shop and they can fix that. Applying products right now will just mask the problem.

Going forward, use a good UV protectant like 303 Aerospace.

Go to your local powersports dealer and pick up a can of bike polish in the pink and black can. They can order it from tuckerrocky if they dont have it on hand. It may also be sold on amazon.

It is THE best thing for plastic, glass, chrome, and paint, I have ever found.

Example...20 year old cheap japanese car interior.

Yeah...it works.

Best thing I've tried for faded black trim is Surf City Garage's Black Maxx. Apply it out in the sun on if the surface is hot and it's like it "bakes" into the plastic. Wish I had taken before and after pics of what it did for my Trailblazer's chalky white outer trim. [censored]'s amazing and last's a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back