Does full synthetic make your car run better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always hearing comments like, "once you go synthetic, you'll never go back." Why? What am I missing? And then I'll read reviews on Amazon about Royal Purple and people will say things like, "my engine feels more lively now; the engine revs up quicker." Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? Because if it does, that would be a good reason for buying it. But if it doesn't and you're a guy like me who enjoys sliding under the car twice a year, then that would mean I'd have to cut back to once a year with synthetic and the thought of that is disheartening. I cherish my under-car time.

Yup,seen a car run faster down the 1/4 mile,a few tenths faster.
Changed oil to regular dino,car slowed down.This had been repeated by alot of people @ our track.

Personally, I could not tell the difference, even in winter.

Getting under the car twice a year, to me, is a good thing. just to have a look around and wipe an oily rag over a few things :)

I started with full syn during the late 80s, and that was the time with my Mazda B6 block would feel the difference between regular oil and full-syn.

Fast-forward to my wifey's 04 camry or my 06 fit: feels no difference between so-called "full syn" fancy boutique oils vs conventional oil at all...

Maybe my budt is feeling old/numb enough that budt dyno no longer feels the difference?

Q.

I had a chance to dyno test several syn/conventional lubes in a 355cid Chebby. No difference.

The only slight difference observed were changes in viscosity.

The engine appeared (not too sure) to be a bit louder after switching from bulk dino to QSUD syn last year.

It's a bit quieter and more responsive after recent OC at 5938KM with identical QSUD syn (reusing filter). This is purely because new oil is better than used oil.

Nah. Can't tell a thing. with these 5w-20 oils out there, how could there be a difference in revs, or hp? Had great luck with M-1 and 6K OCIs starting in 1984. 3k was the conventional 'conscientious' change interval back then.

This site and a couple of own used oil analysis has convinced me there are more productive areas to put my maintenance efforts than ultra-short drain intervals or ultra-premium synthetic oils.

I agree with ,dragrace, here at bandimere's we see it all the time synthetic oils 2 sec faster then conventional and 3.5 sec. with red line oils

Last edited:
Viscosity is the biggest single contributor to engine power, the lower the more power you get. Dino vs. synthetic is not even measurable diff.

Switching to Redline oil this weekend I've noticed that my engine valvetrain noise is quieter. I don't think anyone's butt dyno can measure 5 whp or less, and you aren't going to gain more than 5whp with an oil change where viscosity specs are maintained, so I would say you can't feel a difference.

Been using PP after a love affair with PYB, and my engine has never been quieter or felt smoother. Does it rev faster? Haven't noticed that at all lol.

Link To Oil-engine-Horsepower Test video... shows a slight difference among synthetics, enough to win a race or not. Keep in mind that all 30 weight oils don't have the same viscosity, as variations are allowed and its still considered a 30, for example. I think the differences are mostly due to viscosity variations. Other effects are very small, although a GF-5 oil does have additional friction benefits over Euro-spec oils generally, since GF-5 demands greater friction reduction (more horsepower available). ....... This small additional power benefit only matters if you are, say, Helio Castroneves and you just lost the Indy 500 by 0.06 seconds, you wanted a bit more power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
. Why? What am I missing? .... Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? ...

Synthetics produce less ring deposits, well known for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back