Guardsman Plus Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well I need a couple tires to get me going for a little bit. Maybe for 6-8 months. Sears has Guardsman Plus tires for $35.98 each. Somebody posted on here a $25 off Sears coupon. I can have a local shop mount ad balance for like $6. The size at that price are 185/65-14. My car is 195/70-14. I figure they aren't much smaller, and it's the size on Dodge Neons. After 6-8 months I'll probably buy a decent set of 4 tires but are these good for temporary use? I heard (not 100% sure though) that they're made by Cooper. It doesn't rain in Phoenix but 6 days a year maybe, and that's usually at night haha. After the coupon and taxes it'll be about $12 each Lol! I know I've posted on here before about cheap tires, but this seems like too good of a deal to pass up on.

Here's the link to them:
http://www.sears.com/guardsman-plus-p185...mp;blockType=L1

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i run away from anything sears these days. 25 years ago sears was hard to beat.

What's to run away from Sears about?

Just a heads up, when I worked at Sears we were not allowed to sell Guardsman over the counter and no coupon worked when you sold them.

That 35.98 price, ending in .98, means that it is an "everyday value" item and no coupons work with them.

I thought about that myself ( I run 195/70-14s myself), and the wife needs tires soon on hers.

Not that bad of a tire, but I'm thinking I'd just go with the cooper responses, which are a much better tire ( related to the Cooper Lifeliner)

Guardsman would be 41.98 before discount, Coopers 57.98.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure they won't do it for me here....

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Just a heads up, when I worked at Sears we were not allowed to sell Guardsman over the counter and no coupon worked when you sold them.

That 35.98 price, ending in .98, means that it is an "everyday value" item and no coupons work with them.

Yep, that makes sense...

There are the milstars, but heck no to those.....

That price for the Guardsman is very good, and it is likely that
Cooper or another large, reputable tier one makes them.

I don't understand this nonsense about hating Sears...
they are still selling decent quality products at good prices, and they still have very good customer satisfaction policies. I've been very pleased with almost everything I had purchased at Sears in the past five years and when I wasn't the return and other polices are quite good. It's too bad that the folks in charge of Sears have not been interested in investing in and rebuilding the operation.

Tread pattern looks like a Cooper, if so it should be a good tire. You can use the DOT number to confirm.

Private label Coopers and Kellys are my favorite.

Hey!
For your criteria(6-8 months), jump all over these tires. You need tires right friggen now and have a budget, right?

Gett'em! Sell'em when your done with'em & put the money you get toward(back in your pocket) the purchace of the tire that you need at that time.

Knowing that the Guardsman tires are what they are and a slightly smaller size...drive accordingly!

CB

Last edited:
Do you plan to run a pair of 195/70-14 on one axle and 185/65-14 on the other? If so, I would definitely not do that. This might be the rare case where buying used tires makes sense, if you are sure they will only be used 6 months or so.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i run away from anything sears these days. 25 years ago sears was hard to beat.

What's to run away from Sears about?

I've had them, semi align a front end, where the toe was off, they said yep its aligned. A few months later with front tire wear, i found the front tie rod nuts frozen in place, i had to soak them with penetrant and really work to get them loose. No way they aligned that front end. With what they charge for mounting, stems and "lifetime balancing" you will have more in those tires than a good set of falkens,khumo etc from an independent shop.

Last edited:
I worked at Sears when I was a kid. The "technicians" dropped no less than 5 cars off the lift in the 3 years I worked there. That's just the beginning.

I put Sears auto a hair ahead of Pep Boys, and I wouldn't let Pep Boys put washer fluid in my car.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
And I doubt Sears will allow you to go down 2 sizes.

Besides, I wouldn't go there even if Sears would do that.

When I worked there 7+ years ago, we were not allowed to alter from factory size and speed rating. The only time we were allowed to change tire size was when customers also bought wheels and we went according to the approved plus size book.

If the deal works I'll go in telling them I have a 98 Dodge Neon (correct size for) and walk out the door with a tire, then the next day do the same thing. Then just go to a tire shop where they charge 6 bucks to mount and balance

If the deal works I'll go in telling them I have a 98 Dodge Neon (correct size for) and walk out the door with a tire, then the next day do the same thing. Then just go to a tire shop where they charge 6 bucks to mount and balance

Be very cautious if you run 195/70-14 mixed with 185/65-14 on the other end of the car. That is a non-trivial difference: more than 5 percent. Your brakes and suspension might protest.

Had to do that. I was getting tires mounted for my 2013 Nissan Versa ... Even though the Focus wheels I brought in have a different bolt pattern.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Had to do that. I was getting tires mounted for my 2013 Nissan Versa ... Even though the Focus wheels I brought in have a different bolt pattern.

And they say Ford right? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back