Do I have to change my oil early if I use MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not using this in my oil, only in my gas tank. I've heard that any type of injector cleaner used increases the contamination of the engine oil and I just changed my oil with PP so really don't wanna use MMO if it will require me to shorten my oci. Any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
I'm not using this in my oil, only in my gas tank. I've heard that any type of injector cleaner used increases the contamination of the engine oil and I just changed my oil with PP so really don't wanna use MMO if it will require me to shorten my oci. Any help is appreciated.

It will not contaminate your oil. Change your oil or not as you would have before.

Your comment regarding 'any type of injector cleaner' may be in reference to something like Techron or Sea Foam - both are pretty much solvents or PEA. I have not heard that an oil change was required after using them either.

I add MMO to just about every tank of gas I use. One of my vehicles is constantly fed it Via an Inverse Oiler since the late 1980's. No need to change your oil early if you add it to the gas.

I had heard that injector cleaners somehow contaminate the oil with freed particulates from the fuel system. I was told this when I used to use Techron. I was hoping MMO was different as I've really been wanting to try it.

I had heard that injector cleaners somehow contaminate the oil with freed particulates from the fuel system. I was told this when I used to use Techron. I was hoping MMO was different as I've really been wanting to try it.

A fuel system cleaner won't contaminate the oil with freed particles. It will contaminate the oil with solvents, which is why the label directions on many suggest that they be used before an oil change.
MMO is a little different in that the maker actually recommends that it be added to the oil and the gas. We also have members who've used MMO in both for years who report no problems, so I wouldn't worry about MMO in the fuel contaminating the oil.

Ask yourself. What would it take to have varnish flakes in oil? Any solvent will flash off when the oil got to operating temp.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
MileHigh18 said:
We also have members who've used MMO in both for years who report no problems, so I wouldn't worry about MMO in the fuel contaminating the oil.

Exactly
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
MileHigh18 said:
We also have members who've used MMO in both for years who report no problems, so I wouldn't worry about MMO in the fuel contaminating the oil.

Exactly
smile.gif

10-4

The matter is not the contamination of the oil, but it could be the MMO effect on the TBN of the oil.

Originally Posted By: Mephy
The matter is not the contamination of the oil, but it could be the MMO effect on the TBN of the oil.

When added to oil it does lower the tbn. Most people who add MMO to the oil do it for a reason, cleaning an engine or silencing a noisy lifter. In both instances a shorter OCI would be a good idea. If adding it to the gas lowers tbn its probably the gas causing the problems and not the MMO. Gas entering the oil would have a negative effect dosed with or without MMO. Opinions vary.

OK so now I guess the question would be if I use Regane before the MMO, will that mess with my oil at all?

OK so now I guess the question would be if I use Regane before the MMO, will that mess with my oil at all?

Uhhh, why would you use Regane before MMO?

Speaking of Regane (which I have never used), here's a cautionary tale from a bimmer owner.

Most of the solvent-based cleaners are rather harsh... probably best not used as a routine maintenance step, regardless of the manufacturer's claims. If you use reasonable quality gasoline of the proper octane rating, your fuel system should need very little cleaning.

Cautionary tail of a car that didn't pass emissions & was probably sludged up? Yeah, that is how we should judge Regane. For me Ragane, Techron, etc, are preventive maintenance products, not miracle workers.

I'd say if your car is older, then you might want to use a fuel system cleaner near the time you're due for an oil change. Don't have any experience with MMO, and prefer newer formulations that only need be used every 3-5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Cautionary tail of a car that didn't pass emissions & was probably sludged up? Yeah, that is how we should judge Regane. For me Ragane, Techron, etc, are preventive maintenance products, not miracle workers.

Regane, et al are useful products. But as the bimmer owner noted: "Well, all the dirt and build-up in the fuel lines and tank has to go somewhere." That somewhere will probably be your injectors. As long as it doesn't stop there, mission accomplished. But if you use reasonable quality fuel of the correct octane rating, it is unclear to me why you would need to clean your fuel system with every oil change or even at all. The same applies to cleaning your oil system, assuming you change your oil and filter regularly.

If you use Top Tier gasoline, even occasionally, then you're getting a dose of PEA (the operative ingredient in Techron) through your fuel system. Top Tier gasoline is rather popular in our area - even the grocery and convenience stores in are supplied by Mobil or Shell or other major companies with Top Tier gas. About the only time you won't get it is if you go to an el-cheapo station. Hereabouts, Swifty wins the el-cheapo award.

Most Top Tier fuel has E10 or 10% ethanol. Ethanol gumms up injectors and will still build up with top tier fuel. I thought my car was developing a valve tap or ticking. It turned out to be my fuel injectors after 30,000 miles, with almost entirely Shell fuel. Since I've used Regane or the ALL in One Gumout treatment every 3-5k miles and the ticking hasn't returned.

There is no helping cars that are sludged up after many miles, except expensive injector/engine cleaning by a mechanic. Many people at that point buy another car.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Most Top Tier fuel has E10 or 10% ethanol.

Most fuel... period... has 10% or some other significant percent of ethanol. Unless you're really into this issue and search out gas stations with non-ethanol fuel, you're likely to get corn squeezings.

Top Tier gasoline has only to do with a minimum additive package in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Mephy

When added to oil it does lower the tbn. Most people who add MMO to the oil do it for a reason, cleaning an engine or silencing a noisy lifter. In both instances a shorter OCI would be a good idea. If adding it to the gas lowers tbn its probably the gas causing the problems and not the MMO. Gas entering the oil would have a negative effect dosed with or without MMO. Opinions vary.

The matter is if MMO when burns release acids.

I read somewhere in the forum that it release chloride acid.

This is something that I have to find out since I used it and I really liked it.

My only concern is long term use since I do extended oil change as well.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Uhhh, why would you use Regane before MMO?

Because I heard it was recommended to run something like Regane before you run MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back