First oil change 2014 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am approaching 4300 miles with the factory fill in the 2014 Tacoma. I will be changing the factory fill with a Wix filter and Mobil 1 0w30. I am thinking that I will run this first batch of synthetic to 7500 miles. After that interval 10000 miles. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. I drive about 24000 miles a year.

Nice ride! I'm just curious does Toyota recommend a 30 grade oil for that engine?

I believe Wix is a very good filter. However; I usually use a OEM filter for the first few oil changes just in case there is an engine issue. Ed

Toyota specifies 5w-30 and 5,000 mile service intervals for the 2014 Tacoma V6.

I don't see a problem using synthetic, but if you go double that mileage, you're definitely risking warranty issues if something should happen.

My suggestion: PYB 5w-30 and whatever filter you prefer. Go 5,000 miles to preserve your warranty. It worked just fine for my 2008.

Would highly recommend an OEM oil filter and a 30-weight synthetic oil with a 5,000 mile OCI during the warranty period.

Demar thanks!

The factory recommends 5w30 at 5000 mile intervals. I understand that I will take a chance with going to 10000 miles as far as the warranty is concerned. I don't believe I will sustain a oil related issue with the motor, however, I will do a few UOA after 20000 miles break in period.

My thoughts are. I should probably change this change with Mobil 1 at 7500, then go ahead with the 10000 mile changes. It was a toss up with the Wix and OEM I have been happy with Wix.

Thanks for the suggestions!

In general all M1 oils will handle 10K OCIs without a problem. I've been doing that for 36 years. However, your warranty is another issue.

Tig, the warranty is a concern. I don't believe there will be warranty, or oil related issue with the warranty. There are two warranties on the truck. The standard warranty provided by Toyota and a complimentary Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. How I see it is the UOA will provide a baseline reading should something happen. Just because you don't change a fluid or do a recommended service does not mean that you void the warranty provided. The manufacturer has to prove the failure to go by the recommended maintenance resulted in the cause of the failure. With proper records and documentation this should not happen. In other words, show that you have been diligent in maintenance is critical. Is some risk involved? Yes. Is it safer to do the 5000 mile changes for most? Yes.

All my vehicles have been getting the 10000 mile changes with Mobil 1, with no issues. Spending almost 12 years on BITOG has taught me that you have to find the balance between too early of an interval and too late. The comfort zone for me seems to be 10000 based on the vehicle and driving habits.

Amkeer,
For myself, I wouldn't be concerned about the warranty either with 10K OCIs. Also the 10K OCIs is something I have proven to be very easy to do. Yes, I could go longer, but I really don't see the need for my engines at this time.

Tig, agreed.

Picked up some M1 5w30 at Wally World and a Wix Filter from Oriellys. I was disappointed that Wally World didn't have the Ow30 in stock.

I will put some pics together of the oil change and post them. I need to figure out how to post pics again. Hmmmmmmmm.

Doesn't a 2014 tacoma include 2 years toyota care (maintenance plan)?

My 2014 rav4 has it. Why wouldn't you go for toyota oil and a toyota filter for free?

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
Just because you don't change a fluid or do a recommended service does not mean that you void the warranty provided. The manufacturer has to prove the failure to go by the recommended maintenance resulted in the cause of the failure. With proper records and documentation this should not happen. In other words, show that you have been diligent in maintenance is critical. Is some risk involved? Yes. Is it safer to do the 5000 mile changes for most? Yes.

Actually I borrowed this from dnewton3, since he worded it better than I have in the past. Unfortunately when there is a warranty related problem and a person didn't follow the warranty requirements the burden of proof is not with the dealer or the car maker it would be with you. This was from an oil filter thread but it would be applicable to not following the recommended OCI as well. Just take out "non-approved filter," and substitute a Non-approved OCI, or something along those lines.

From dnewton3:

This is about burden of proof and the M/M Act specifically governing limited warranties. See the FTC site:
http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#Magnuson-Moss
Using a non-approved filter does not mean that the warranty is automatically void, but it does mean that you have taken all responsibility for proving that your choice was sound and reasonable. Good luck with that; going up against a host of lawyers and engineers in an arbitration hearing with your new-found BITOG reference manual is not going to bode well ...
----------------
The bottom line is this, while you may or may not void your warranty, you'll have your work cut out for you if you have a problem. I'd follow the book...........

Ahhhh, ding, ding, ding. Good question Justin. Yes the Toyota comes with the 2 years of service, and I was encouraged by Toyota dealer to take advantage of it, but..............I don't like anyone to touch my vehicles unless necessary. I will use it for tire rotation and to lube, no oil.

When I take delivery of the vehicles I tell them to leave stickers on and don't clean it. Its an OCD issue.

When I take delivery of the vehicles I tell them to leave stickers on and don't clean it. Its an OCD issue.

I do the same thing, all I ask is they do the PBI and make sure all the fluids are full. I'll detail it myself. It saves them money, and me grief!

Demar,

Understood. That is why I say it is best to carefully document the maintenance on the vehicle. Its not a one size fits all approach. My dealer actually recommends a 10000 mile OCI in certain circumstances with full synthetics.

Demar,

Understood. That is why I say it is best to carefully document the maintenance on the vehicle. Its not a one size fits all approach. My dealer actually recommends a 10000 mile OCI in certain circumstances with full synthetics.

I'm glad you understand. I wasn't picking on you, I was just making a point. I worked at 5 different dealerships, and when service wants to bust balls, they can really make it miserable for the customer.

Quote:
don't believe there will be warranty, or oil related issue with the warranty. There are two warranties on the truck. The standard warranty provided by Toyota and a complimentary Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. How I see it is the UOA will provide a baseline reading should something happen. Just because you don't change a fluid or do a recommended service does not mean that you void the warranty provided.

I bet both warranty state OEM OCI's.

Why wait 20k to start UOA's? If you're that concerned with doing 10k OCI's then start UOA's at the first oil change to show a trend..

Remember, you have to prove in a Court of Law that you were in the right regarding Oil Changes. How long will it take and cost you in lawyer fees, while your Tacoma is sitting broke somewhere????

Quote:
I will use it for tire rotation and to lube, no oil.

What lube? Most modern vehicles have sealed bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc?
You get free maintenance and won't use it? What a waste of time and money!

Last edited:
rossn2,

If you read the warranty terms it is very specific about "recommended" maintenance intervals. Generally you want to make sure you use the maintenance guide as guidance and document services.

Please remember you don't have to prove anything in court since it is not required under the warranty provisions set forth by Toyota.

Toyota is very specific about use of "NON-Synthetic" oil changes and the intervals with the "non-synthetic". Those "recommended" intervals with "non-synthetic" is 6 months or 5000 miles. As was previously mentioned the dealership would recommend higher intervals such as 10000 miles based on the use of synthetic and certain driving conditions that would qualify.

Lastly, the drive shafts typically have grease fittings on the Tacomas. My 2003 has about a half dozen of grease fittings. Since I will be at the dealership for rotation at 5000-6000 miles, I will also have a lube recorded at that time. The same will be done at 12,000, and 20,000 miles.

Changed the oil Thursday. The only tough part was the filter. I literally had to wrench it off. This by far is the easiest truck to change oil on. Took some pics will post later.

Changed the oil Thursday. The only tough part was the filter. I literally had to wrench it off. This by far is the easiest truck to change oil on. Took some pics will post later.

I heard horror stories of getting the original oil filter off. I was lucky, some people aren't so lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back