Larger oil filter for 2013 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to increase the filter size on my 2013 Ford Focus. I looked at the Mobil 1 M1-301 being that the gasket size was a match to the standard filter which is an M-102. But because of depth, I tried the M1-204. I know the gasket OD and ID is a little different. But I measured the filter pad and it looked like it would fit. When I tried to use the M1-204 the OD of the gasket seemed to rub the block so I used the standard M-102 oil filter. I would like to now try the M1-301. Have anyone of you used this filter on a 2013 Focus and is the depth too much?

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

How many miles do you put on your filter?

Its highly likely you are not surpassing the capacity of a stock filter, so why bother? Not to mention issues with voiding your warranty by using non-spec'd parts.

I considered xg3600 (fl-400s) a big brother to xg3614 (fl-910s), but the larger one sticked out more than an inch below the oil pan. I did not wanted to risk knocking it off, so I put the correct size 3614 on.
Isn't the M1-301 OD way larger?

Its highly likely you are not surpassing the capacity of a stock filter, so why bother? Not to mention issues with voiding your warranty by using non-spec'd parts.

Have you seen the filter . It is the same small one used on my Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor engine . I change my oil at specified interval of 5000 miles.

For 5k OCI, I would stick to spec'd fl-910s, it's big enough, I have the xg3614 on now and planning to run atleast for 10k, until the olm tells me to change it or 12k max.
You have a new car with clean engine, how much dirt are you hoping to catch anyway?

This is one application where you definitely want to stick to the spec'd filter. As already noted, a larger filter will hang down too low making it vulnerable to damage.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that size filter, it's the same size spec'd for our Jeep with the 3.8L V-6. If you think these are small, many import 4 cylinders and V-6s use the Purolator 14612/Fram 6607, which is even smaller.

Originally Posted By: kajunman

Have you seen the filter . It is the same small one used on my Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor engine . I change my oil at specified interval of 5000 miles.

The specified OCI is up to 10,000 miles or 1 year, depending on what the "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor" says. If the IOLM is not reset or the battery is disconnected, 5,000 miles becomes the default interval.

As others have said, the FL-910s is lots bigger than any for outdoor power equipment and should be more than adequate for the specified OCI. 5,000 miles should be easy. Plus this filter is of good quality and available at WalMart for the good price.

Just use the stock sized filter but use a Fram Ultra. The dual layer media will give you the added protection. I am all for using bigger filters but not when it's hanging down where it can be struck.

On some cars where the filter points downward like on a Pontiac Grand Prix, by using the oversize filter, if a motor mount gives way and allows the engine to move, the filter gets smacked on the lower control arm putting a dent in it.

OK guys. You have convinced me to stay with the stock size filter. Do you consider the Mobil 1 -102 a good filter to use or is there a better filter recommendation?

Thanks for all the input,

kajunman

Yes it's a good filter.
But so are a lot of other brands.

If you do a "better" job of defining what "better" means to you, then perhaps we can offer some advice that would be more tailored. But just throwing out that word with no clear parameters of what you perceive it to mean is, well, pointless, and the basis for the typical ongoing BITOG feuds.

I'll offer this advice ...
Quit worrying about which is "best". While I and others would agree that poorly made filters, and the counterfeit ones on the 'net, are something to avoid, just about any reasonable filter brand you'd recognize on the shelf at your favorite store will suffice to do an good job. Every brand has excellent products; every brand occasionally sees quality issues. None are perfect and none are immune. But most are reasonably reliable and will not result in massive engine carnage (the junk filters excluded).

If your OCIs and FCIs are "normal" and you intend to follow the OEM maintenance guidelines, then you don't need any super-duper filter. There is no data that conclusively shows a "better" filter will manifest into less wear in real world testing. Todays equipment, lubes and manufacturing technologies exhibit ever-greater potential for lifecycles past where a normal person would own the vehicle. It's foolish to worry about a decision today that may or may not manifest into a concern until decades from now, when the third or fourth owner has a problem with it, if ever at all.

Yes - the M1 filter is good. So is the FU, the TG, the EG, the Classic, the PureOne, the D+, the M/C, etc, etc, etc ....
Any of those will protect the engine well.

Isnt filter on a focus already big?on a side note ,i assume you want a longer filter to lower static electricity potentiality for problem(e-core anybody)sadly not many filter media are 100% static free,maybe the medical metal mesh of those cleanable like k&n (any tested?)aside from those (maybe)all generate static electricity that age the oil and or filter

To add some additional insight to oversized filters on Focuses (Focii?) - I ran a MC-400S over the winter, which is a longer MC-910S. The OCI was 6,000 miles, and I did not experience any difference in operation, outside of it being freezing cold with the polar vortex. I'm back to the 910 for now, and still have a 400 that I will use up at some point.

kajunman, I'd encourage you to not worry about running a 5K OCI, but rather use the OLM. This will help you get more life out of your oil, and would offer a cost-saving benefit in the long run. I'd also suggest using a Motorcraft oil filter, as that is perfectly specced for your application - literally what the Focus rolled off the production floor with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back