Touchless wash at home, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow I have a day off, on these days I like to take advantage (weather permitting) to wash and detail the Accord. I was however, able to wash it last Saturday so overall its pretty clean. The paint only has a light layer of dust/small particles, but that still bothers me. I got to thinking, instead of using the usuall two bucket method with wash mitts, and drying it off with microfiber towels...what if I did a "touchless wash" by mixing up some car wash shampoo and water in a spray bottle, use a garden hose to rinse it off, then air dry with a leaf blower? What do you think? I would start off by hosing down the surface, then allow the water to sheet off leaving a dry surface behind. Then spray down the car with the car wash/water mix, allow that to sit for just a little while, then hose off and blow dry. Would this be of any significant benefit? Anybody tried this before?

You could try it. But anything really bonded to the paint still won't be removed. The agitation from the wash mitt is what's gonna remove the bonded stuff.

I think if it bothers you that much that you're willing to try a DIY touchless wash, you're better off just buying a rinseless wash.

The results you can get are really good, you'll get a just waxed look and when done properly, on a car that only has a light to medium amount of dirt, you'll do about as much damage as a conventional wash. If your car was covered in mud then you're better off doing a conventional wash.

But a rinseless wash is so easy you can usually do your entire car in about 15-20 minutes. And what's nice is since you work only one panel at a time, you don't have to worry about water spots forming, even if you have to wash in the sun. And another benefit is greatly reduced water usage.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3367724/Rinseless_washes.#Post3367724

Three months of pretty much twice weekly rinseless washing and I can tell you it's in no worse condition than if I had used conventional washing techniques.

Oh and PM me if you want the recipe for homebrew rinseless wash. You likely have the ingredients on hand already to make a decent equivalent to what I make myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Oh and PM me if you want the recipe for homebrew rinseless wash. You likely have the ingredients on hand already to make a decent equivalent to what I make myself.

Can you post it here ?

I use drive through touchless car washes all the time. Only one of them actually was "awesome". The rest of them never seem to work all that well. So, I called the one that worked and asked about the chemical used that dissolves dirt so well. I was told it was a proprietary solution and nothing like it is available on the market.

Probably not really true, but I've tried and tried to make my 3800 PSI pressure washer work on my vehicles. Nothing I've used really does the job properly.

I can't imaging a hose on/hose off product being worthwhile on tough road grime.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I use drive through touchless car washes all the time. Only one of them actually was "awesome". The rest of them never seem to work all that well. So, I called the one that worked and asked about the chemical used that dissolves dirt so well. I was told it was a proprietary solution and nothing like it is available on the market.

Probably not really true, but I've tried and tried to make my 3800 PSI pressure washer work on my vehicles. Nothing I've used really does the job properly.

I can't imaging a hose on/hose off product being worthwhile on tough road grime.

Oh, I know it wont do much at all as far as road grime. I just figured this could be a good in-between wash solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back