I cleaned my throttle body on my G8!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

Just wanted to pass along my experience. I bought it brand new but I never bothered to clean the throttle valve/throttle body. The car now has about 88,500 miles on it. So, while I was waiting for the oil to drain out of the pan this past weekend (takes a while with an 8+ quart sump and a Fumoto drain valve), I found the throttle body spray I purchased a while back, took the air inlet tube off and went to work.

Found a lot of what I would call black varnish on the edges of the throttle valve and the surrounding throttle body that came off with the aid of the spray and an old cotton t-shirt. I cleaned as deep I could get my fingers into the throttle body and then put it back together.

End result? Definitely is idling smoother than before. Car always seemed to have a bit of "chop" to it at idle but I'm definitely happy with the results.

YMMV

Ed B.

It's always like that. Try cleaning your MAF sensor (if there is one), only be very careful with it as it's sensitive. It will get even better.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Be sure the throttle body spray is safe for teflon coated throttle bodys. Seafoam spray works well.

That is a good point. Throttle Body sprays are safe for the coatings but carb cleaner is the one that is too harsh.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
MAF Sensor cleaning is a yearly thing for me.

+1 Me too. Every spring I will give everything my cars a once over and clean the MAF and throttle bodies.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
I've always used crc tb cleaner. I may try the seafoam since it'll clean the entire air tract somewhat.

I use the CRC for the TB, then switch to the Sea foam for the inside of the intake manifold and ports (IF it reaches them).
wink.gif

I ALWAYS use the CRC MAF cleaner, or their QD Electronic/Contact cleaner for the MAF.

I do BOTH at least three times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back