a good 30w oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll get all kinds of answers. Why? because almost anything will work. Seriously, a small engine will likely run a long, long time on any juice you put in it. Engines that have the correct level and even infrequent changes of oil, will run well for a long life.
My take is as follows:
Best protection: Synthetic with Mobil 1 HM 5w30 and 10w30 as the best. There are a lot of good syns that work fine, if that's your level of cost tolerance. An HDEO syn in the 5w40 is also a fantastic choice.

Fine protection: HDEOs like Rotella or Motorcraft, in either 10w30 or 15w40. You can't go wrong here, strong oils for long life, at a bit less cost.

Completely adequate protection: ST30, or any of the 30wt oils intended for small engines and diesels. These are among the cheapest and protection is super. I like Wolf's Head 30HD. Wolf's head is good oil, $3 a quart and easily available around these parts.

Last edited:
Running MS5k 10w-30 in my craftsman mower. Need to change again for the year. Seems to work.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Running MS5k 10w-30 in my craftsman mower.

I'm running that in my car. When I bought it, they did't tell me it was lawnmower oil.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I simply use the xxW30 we are putting into our vehicles. If it lubricates well there, it will do well in the mower, too.

Ditto. Got no proof for or against other than no failures or issues to date.

My lawn starts better w 10w30 than sae30 so I just use left over oil from car oil. Usually syn 5 or 10w30. And I change the lawn mower oil once a year

Was using Wolfs Head HD30but switched to ST HD30. I would use any 10w-30 but those two are spec for most of my mowers. I use 5w-30 my snowblower...usually what remains from an OC from one of my cars in winter.

Never had 4 stroke equipment issues related to oil.

Amsoil ACD 10W-30/30WT. Has no viscosity modifiers at all, is high in zddp for the flat tappet cams, high detergents to keep these hot running small dirty engines clean and is a group IV oil. Best oil I have ever run in these small engines. BTW I do lawn care commercially (my business) for the last 31 years. Been there done that.

Just make sure if you get a straight 30wt that it is not SA/SB rated. Something like the Rotella T1 or SuperTech stuff is just fine. Usually the SA/SB rated stuff is a no name brand oil. No real additive package in that stuff as it was made for engines in the 1930's

I use M1 10-30 in all my OPE. Riding mower, generator, and pressure washer. Have used that for decades with never an oil related problem.

I have used 15W-40 in my B&S Intek single since I bought it from Sears outlet in 2009. Never a problem, runs strong, easy to find and inexpensive. For a push mower, it wouldn't matter really. Just change it once a year and be sure to run the carb dry at the end of the season and you'll get all of the life out of it you should.

thats easy, Amsoil 4 stroke synthetic 10w-30/30. a real synthetic 30 wt that acts + passes the 10/30 spec as well, might as well use the best!!

Shell Rotella T1 straight 30w.

Plain Quaker State green bottle dino.

Walmart Supertech 30w.

Most all oils have similar formulas for the specified vehicle. We don't really see any one brand that blows all others away. No need for exotic oils in OPE engines. Just change it a couple times a year and you are good.

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back