Bosch 3323 Cut Open - Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this sitting on the bench for about 2 months now, and finally took the hacksaw to it.

The first photo is the dome end of the filter and the second is the thread end, so one of the tears was definitely not done by the saw. Only one of the pleats adjacent to the seam tore. The date code on the can indicated an August 30th, 2013 build date. I bought this one and another I have in the stash right after we bought the vehicle in July 2013.

I'll still run the other one for a 5k mile run as it's a new engine and still clean. Other than the two tears, everything else in the filter was really good.

Edit: This filter was in service for 5k miles through the coldest winter I've ever seen in WI in my 39 years, FWTW.

Last edited:
Meh, I already purchased it and like I said this is a new engine that's still clean. I'll probably cut open the PG filter on there now when I change the oil and if it doesn't do any better than the Bosch, I'll spring for a TG or FU 7317.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Meh, I already purchased it and like I said this is a new engine that's still clean. I'll probably cut open the PG filter on there now when I change the oil and if it doesn't do any better than the Bosch, I'll spring for a TG or FU 7317.

Yes, but if it tears you will be letting unfiltered oil through that new engine.

Well at least we'll have some data after he runs the second one.. Maybe it'll be different and have no tears. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back