Timing cover gasket leaking (2005 Mazda 6 V6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak coming from my timing cover gasket that is dripping onto my exhaust headers. The leak isn't enough to show up on the concrete, but it's enough that I have light smoke coming out of my hood when I'm stopped at a light.

The shop I took it to recommended that I don't get the gasket replaced until I start losing oil at a significant rate and because it only has 80k miles on it. The repair is $1400. 8-10 hours of labor, IIRC.

Are there any options besides replacing the gasket? Would high mileage oil swell the gasket? Could I build a gutter to keep the oil from dripping on the headers? I'm only planning on keeping the car for another year or two.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Did anyone try re-tightening the bolts?

We do a bunch of these at my work. The re-tightening thing might work short term. The parts list is pretty big for this job since when you are in there, you might as well change a bunch of things that are hard to get to.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The parts list is pretty big for this job since when you are in there, you might as well change a bunch of things that are hard to get to.

Like the water pump and timing belt ?

I have a small timing chain cover leak as well, but it causes not troubles or makes it to the garage floor. I made a thread proposing to use Permatex black or grey and work it in with your finger where the leak is. Some think it may work while Hokiefyd says he's done that before and it worked.
If I get to it, I will post the results, buy I'm not in a hurry.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...l_s#Post3369245

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The parts list is pretty big for this job since when you are in there, you might as well change a bunch of things that are hard to get to.

Like the water pump and timing belt ?

Timing chain on the Duratech V6, and the water pump is driven off the back one of the camshafts opposite of the serpentine belt.

@simple_gifts:
I have not tried to re-tighten the bolts yet.
---
@901Memphis:
Will definitely look into picking some up when I get a chance.
---
@KrisZ:
Does your leak drip onto your manifold and smoke?
---

I snapped some shots of where I think the oil might be coming from. The gasket swelling out of the seam does not look normal to me. I'm not too savvy with car engines, though, so I have no clue whether it's actually a problem. Also, I think that the timing chain cover gasket is vertical, yet the rubber gasket thing I found is laying horizontal. Could the mechanic who diagnosed the leak as coming from the timing chain cover gasket be wrong? What are your thoughts?

Here are the pictures I took (the gasket is on the rear of the circled part):
http://imgur.com/a/P7OjA

I know I'd be pretty POed at a really hard to replace gasket leaking on an engine only ten years old with only 80K.
$1400.00?
Really?
I'd try the Lubrimoly since many here have reported good results with it and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: drofenaz
Could I build a gutter to keep the oil from dripping on the headers?

i like this idea, do it! and then post pictures/results.

Originally Posted By: drofenaz
The repair is $1400. 8-10 hours of labor, IIRC.

For $1400 I'd buy me some nice Snap-on tools and do the job myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back