eni i-Sint MS 5W-40 (001022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Furthermore, I believe that 001023 is more suitable for the BMW gasoline engines than 001022 according to approvals. This is the root of my concern.

Despite the fact that it strangely has a lower product code number, 1022 is superior to 1023.
It meets BMW Specification Longlife-04 which is superior to and had superseded LL-01 and LL-98.
It also meets the higher specs of M-B and VW, both of which are demanding.

Thank you for your reply lim. I unable to wrap my head around some of these approval numbers. I thought that LL-04 was just a diesel spec and LL-01 was for gasoline engines. Furthermore, from what I have read on here is that, LL-04 is not suitable for extended OCI in North America due to the fuel quality and LL-01 is. I'm confused.

Despite all of this, they both meet spec. Porsche A40 which I thought was a tough spec to meet.

Last edited:
So many numbers and letters, plus dates - I know what you mean!
This comparison chart may help in understanding; it gives relative values and some very basic chemical data. Note that the same 'specification' can change dramatically when revised/reissued. (see VW 505.01 for '99 and '05).
Although LL-04 is a superior spec to LL-01, perhaps it is that LL-01 is a better solution for your car because of the NA fuel characteristics?

Regards, lim

LL-04 and LL-01 differ on the fact that LL-01 is full-SAPS, whilst LL-04 is IIRC, mid-SAPS.

As noted by lim, a LL-01 lubricant is probably more appropriate for your vehicle when operated in North America.

This is somewhat confirmed by the fact that Mobil recommends their 0w-40 product (LL-01) for your application instead of their 5w-30 ESP (LL-04).

Thank you for your input also, Overkill. Can you shed some light on why Eni Lubricant Advisor recommends LL-04 in a 5w-30 grade but LL-01 in a 5w-40 grade for this application? Or is it in error?

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Thank you for your input also, Overkill. Can you shed some light on why Eni Lubricant Advisor recommends LL-04 in a 5w-30 grade but LL-01 in a 5w-40 grade for this application? Or is it in error?

Probably an error. Why are you using this oil and not M1 0w-40 BTW?

Not cost effective, M1 0w-40 is only available in 1L bottles from our supplier.

Last edited:
Not cost effective, M1 0w-40 is only available in 1L bottles from our supplier.

What's the price difference? I was getting it for about $8/L from a local car dealership, which beats even CT on sale.

From your OP it sounded like this was for your personal vehicle but this "our supplier" has me thinking this isn't the only vehicle you are sourcing this type of lubricant for?

I am sure if volume is a concern, Imperial Oil can sell you M1 0w-40 in bulk at a discount.

The eni is $7 less per litre than the M1. In the future, I will order the 5w-30 (LL-01) which is the same price as the 5w-40 (LL-04) currently in the sump.

Last edited:
The eni is $7 less per litre than the M1. In the future, I will order the 5w-30 (LL-01) which is the same price as the 5w-40 (LL-04) currently in the sump.

I assume that's based off retail of the 0w-40, so the eni is $5/L?

I dunno, I'd be sketched out and try to source a brand I've heard of but if you feel comfortable running it (and it does at least carry the appropriate approval) then all the power to you
thumbsup2.gif

The eni is $7 less per litre than the M1.

Anyone should be able to get M1 0w-40 from the distributor for roughly $9 a litre at their retail price. So, $2 a litre for this alternative must be pretty attractive.
wink.gif

Our supplier is charging $13.95/L for the M1 0w-40. We are paying $7.00/L regardless of grade for the eni. The eni just went up in price, we were paying $6.00/L.

FYI, eni is formerly AGIP and I have been using their engine oil for years without any issues to report at this time.

Our supplier is charging $13.95/L for the M1 0w-40. We are paying $7.00/L regardless of grade for the eni. The eni just went up in price, we were paying $6.00/L.

FYI, eni is formerly AGIP and I have been using their engine oil for years without any issues to report at this time.

That's revolting. You can walk into Canadian Tire or Walmart and buy it for less than that!

I was paying around $8/L, so a whopping buck more than you are paying for Eni/AGIP. With that kind of difference, I'd go M1.

You should be able to get it for a lot less than you are being quoted. When your "supplier" is charging you more than retail at CT, you've got issues, LOL! That'd be like one of my wholesalers trying to sell me a Cisco switch at MSRP, LMAO!
grin.gif

Garak, they have done so already. If you click on the link in my OP you will see the specs once you scroll down the page. There are a couple of Fiat specs just to name a few.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That's revolting. You can walk into Canadian Tire or Walmart and buy it for less than that!

I was paying around $8/L, so a whopping buck more than you are paying for Eni/AGIP. With that kind of difference, I'd go M1.

You should be able to get it for a lot less than you are being quoted. When your "supplier" is charging you more than retail at CT, you've got issues, LOL! That'd be like one of my wholesalers trying to sell me a Cisco switch at MSRP, LMAO!
grin.gif

I agree with you however, I do not have the authority to switch suppliers. Also, I don't have to be out of pocket by shopping at CT or WW.

FYI, I have definitely never seen 0w-40 at WW. CT maybe?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

grin.gif

I agree with you however, I do not have the authority to switch suppliers. Also, I don't have to be out of pocket by shopping at CT or WW.

FYI, I have definitely never seen 0w-40 at WW. CT maybe?

Only some WM's carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back