How long do filters reasonably last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trying extended drains and was wondering how well filters hold up after 5k, 10k, 15k. On my Ranger I currently have a motorcraft FL400S.

These are some of the filters I'm considering that are available to me.

I know Amsoil says 12,500 for their SDF's

How about Motorcraft or standard Purolator?

Or the PureOne from Purolator?

Or Mobil1 filters?

Any opinions, experiences are welcomed. Thanks

I currently have 17,000 miles on an oversized oil filter on my wife's 1998 Civic EX. But I think 20,000 miles is MAX for any oil filter.

IMHO,

In a mechanically sound, non-sludge prone, semi-clean engine, any of the filters you listed would work just fine for 15k, assuming the 15k is within one year.

M1 is my favorite!
smile.gif

When I tried to push my 3.3 Ciera to 12k with Mobil 1, pre-trisyn, with the M1-201 (long case) filter, the filter had clogged. It did ok to 11k. I stuck with that interval for the next 70k, getting good UOAs with the 3 UOAs I ran in that time. I think every engine/filter combo will be different...

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
When I tried to push my 3.3 Ciera to 12k with Mobil 1, pre-trisyn, with the M1-201 (long case) filter, the filter had clogged. It did ok to 11k. I stuck with that interval for the next 70k, getting good UOAs with the 3 UOAs I ran in that time. I think every engine/filter combo will be different...

How did you find out that the filter had plugged up?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:

How did you find out that the filter had plugged up?
dunno.gif

Bypass valve perhaps?

Got a very high solids or something like that on the UOA. It was a Mobil 1 UOA, which only gave generalizations and 3 levels, not the specific numbers like we see here. I forget the details, but basically it gave a good, caution, and "get it out" sort of deal. The intepretation indicated that a clogged filter could be the cause. Dropping down to 11k, I never got past good again.

This was at least 6 years ago or more...

My own peace of mind makes me change filters at a maximum of 5,000 miles. I put 285,000 miles on a Toyota running M1 with 25,000 OCI, BUT I changed the filter every 5,000. Even if the oil is perfect and doesn't break down at all, you still need to make sure you are filtering out as much of the 'grit' as possible. Changing the filter ensured it was actually filtering and not just bypassing, in addition to refreshing the oil additive package each time.

quote:

Originally posted by smthrj53:
My own peace of mind makes me change filters at a maximum of 5,000 miles. Even if the oil is perfect and doesn't break down at all, you still need to make sure you are filtering out as much of the 'grit' as possible.

That would be my recommendation. I would say up to 7500 on a regular filter. Top Tier filters I would say double that.

Top Tier would be Amsoil Mobil 1 and K&N. Reason being these filters use a triple media with a "lofted" media. So instead of just surface filtration you are also getting some "depth" filteration which in essense doubles your capacity.

But always change fitlers at at least 6 months.

This takes care of the additive package. If you have a clean running engine, your filter could very well be in great shape but your additives like TBN ZDDP and such will get used up. Hence the reason for the filter change.

Good Luck

My tiny OEM Toyota filter showed excellent oil analysis at 10,000 miles with Schaeffer oil. I think that any sound engine will have the filter rubber materials harden before the filter itself clogs.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back