All the author did, basically, was paraphrase several people who did not approve of the uniform.
1) These uniforms (Olympic, World Cup etc.) come and go. Some will invariably miss. Others will hit.
2) I do not subscribe to the notion that every one of these event uniforms must include "stars and stripes". In that vein, I think there are time when the American flag-as well as flags of other countries-is overused sometimes to the point of disrespect. Grass stains on the flag? I don't think so.
3) Also, when the USA gets beaten by Slobovia in the first round, do you really want the hodgepodge of forlorn, unshaven athletes wearing the US flag?
4) It's red, white and blue. It's just fine. AND if it echoes any country's flag at all it's Hollands. Their flag is at least horizontally laid out as opposed to France's, which is vertically laid out.
5) In the same spirt (jocular) of the suggestion that baseball should have 3 pitchers (to help move it along), soccer should have the center 60 yards removed from the field. Little in this world is as boring as watching macho guys kicking a ball back and forth across 'center field'. Kira