2014 Ram 1500 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the first oil change on the 2014 ram 1500 5.7. The oil filter is much smaller than the one on the 2010. The truck has electronic steering and the oil filter sits on top of that. When you remove the filter it leaks all over it.

Is there any tool on the market to drain down the filter prior to removal?

On my 2012 RAM 1500 Hemi I used a Kroger 1/2 gallon ice cream bucket. It will sit on the PS bracket while oil drains from oil filter mount. Hold bucket close to filter as you unscrew it and put some used paper towels in bucket to prevent splashing as filter drops into bucket. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Wow that is a terrible design. The filter on my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 is fairly easy to get to.

This kind of reminds me of the oil filters on some Kohler single cylinder tractor engines. The oil filter is mounted upside down. When you remove the filter it dumps oil all over the engine and all over the machine, making a huge mess. The engines with horizontally mounted filters make practically no mess in comparison.

Originally Posted By: yucca
Just did the first oil change on the 2014 ram 1500 5.7. The oil filter is much smaller than the one on the 2010. The truck has electronic steering and the oil filter sits on top of that. When you remove the filter it leaks all over it.

Is there any tool on the market to drain down the filter prior to removal?

I'd seriously consider a remote oil filter kit for that situation. You could use a bigger filter that way, too. Its disappointing to see Ram do something like that on a new truck- my 2008 4.7 has an easy to get at filter, AND it has a nifty little built-in chute that directs the filter drippage out over the crossmember so it can fall straight in the catch pan. My SRT has nothing at all under the filter, so other than getting a hand soaked with oil, its very easy and clean as well.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with 2 liter bottles cut off in various sizes .. and free too.

Last edited:
You can get a "PIG" brand flexible funnel at Sears. It can be bent to any shape, so that when you remove an oil filter, it will divert the oil into your bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back