Dorman Window Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
The window regulator in the driver's side door of my '02 Mazda Protege5 broke. I wasn't expecting to find a aftermarket replacement so I was surprised to find a Dorman replacement for $60. I was expecting an OEM style copy or reboxed OEM from my experience with Beck Arnley parts. Opening the box I found the same function but different mechanical design, some of which seems better than OEM.

This plastic cable guide broke which caused the cable assembly to malfunction, breaking other parts

P1020470-1.jpg

Dorman on left, OEM Mazda on right
The yellow cable guide on the bottom of the track is a mirror image of the broken part that was on the top. Notice the Dorman cable guides are much more robust and the top guide is attached with a rivet. The motor/cable winding/mounting assemblies are completely different. The replacement fit perfectly.
P1020473-1.jpg

P1020472-1.jpg

30 mins disassembly, 20 mins reassembly, Vehicle returned to service
P1020474-1.jpg

I replaced one recently on our Liberty. I found the same thing: the NAPA (Dorman) replacement had been redesigned in the "problem" area.

Neat, thanks for sharing. Always wondered if these aftermarket type regulators were worth it or not...

'00-'05 Buick LeSabres have window regulators with a plastic anchor for the cable. The cables are always ripping out of the plastic anchor. I've replaced two regulators already thus far. I'm always jealous of people driving around with their windows down. I'm always having to keep my windows rolled up because the regulators won't take too much wear and tear without breaking.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Always wondered if these aftermarket type regulators were worth it or not...

Sometimes, sometimes not. Unfortunately, they're often the only choice. On my F-150, the window crank snapped in the bitter cold. Of course, the Ford counterperson looked at me like I was nuts trying to buy such a thing. The Dorman ones were a little brittle, to say the least. So, I bought a bunch of them because of this little issue. With other Dorman stuff, I've had nothing but good luck.

I just replaced a window motor & regulator in my 00 Century [left front] with a Dorman part. The quality appeared to be good, hopefully it lasts as long as the OEM part did.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
'00-'05 Buick LeSabres have window regulators with a plastic anchor for the cable. The cables are always ripping out of the plastic anchor. I've replaced two regulators already thus far. I'm always jealous of people driving around with their windows down. I'm always having to keep my windows rolled up because the regulators won't take too much wear and tear without breaking.

yeah they're junk, I did two on my MILs lesabre. One front, one rear.

I got cheapie Chinese ones off ebay and even though the motor was smaller on the front one (the rear re-used the old motor) it was fast, quiet, and reliable.

Thank you OP....My driver's window has this massive "CLICK/knuckle crack" at the start of the down cycle as it breaks from the seal, and I expect it to be the cause of a regulator breakdown someday...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Thank you OP....My driver's window has this massive "CLICK/knuckle crack" at the start of the down cycle as it breaks from the seal, and I expect it to be the cause of a regulator breakdown someday...

Lubricate the seal with some silicone spray.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Lubricate the seal with some silicone spray.

Lubed it with tire chain wax....smooth now, but the "cracking knuckle" is inside the door..oh well...18mos now with it...we'll just wait and see....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back