Baldwin B228 cut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the Baldwin B228 cut up. I used it on my Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L turbo. I installed a Ford oil to coolant heat exchanger and needed a 3/4-16 thread and a high bypass pressure.

The Hyundai filter has a 20# bypass, the Baldwin B228 has a 40# bypass. It's a little narrower but also a little taller that the Hyundai OEM.

The can wall was .015" thick, the Hyundai is .018" thick.

Look at that bypass spring for the Baldwin.
banana2.gif

bldwin-filter-b228.jpg

bldwin-filter-b228-2.jpg

bldwin-filter-b228-3.jpg

bldwin-filter-b228-4.jpg

bldwin-filter-b228-5.jpg

bldwin-filter-b228-6.jpg

I believe it is a hydraulic system filter.

It ran about 4500 miles on my car. The max pressure I see on the car is 80 lbs. Used Mobil 1 0w40.

The Baldwin B1405 for my Camry has 20psi valve while Toyota specs 9 to 15...not sure what gives here

Very nice looking filter... If they used Silicone ADBV it would be even better, However Im told the ADBV They use do not get hard or brittle so they must use a high quality nitre rubber

However very nice.

Look at them nice even pleats.. No tears... the filter is DIRTY the way you want it.. DIRT Trapped in the filter.

Looks better then some oil filters that cost 2X as much $

That spring is NOT the by-pass spring. That spring just holds the filter to the base of the can. Take a look at the closed end of the filter and you will see the little button, that is the by-pass. Push on it and you can feel how hard or easy it is to push in.
If you have the room, see if the B178 will fit(3"X5 1/8")

ROD

^^^ Keep in mind that how hard or how easily a bypass valve opens depends on the area of the bypass valve and the bypass pressure setting.

Yes I realized that was not the bypass spring after looking at another thread that had a filter cut in half.

This filter is not a good fit for where I wanted it. It's too long.

I found a Wix filter for the early Lotus and Reanults that should fit.

51335.jpg

Quote:
Thread Size: 3/4-16 Inch
Top Outside Diameter (In): 3.670 Inch
Bottom Outside Diameter (In): 3.670 Inch
Height (In): 2.483 Inch
Anti-Drainback Valve Included: Yes

Additional Details

Gasket Inside Diameter (In): 2.462 Inch
Top Inside Diameter (In): Closed
Burst Pressure (psi): 280 psi
Bypass Valve Included: Yes