Kawasaki Full Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of an OEM parts nerd.

So when I saw that kawasaki brands their own oil I freaked and bought an OCI package with an OEM oil filter.

I'm curious to who makes this oil however, or if anyone has a UOA on the stuff. I've searched and found a few posts from years ago but nothing recent.

This is also my first motorcycle experience, and I'm interested to know given the nature of wet clutch motorcycles if additive package differ significantly enough to effect clutch feel or transmission performance.

My thinking is akin to ATF fluid specifications being tailored to different brand transmissions as they aid in the meshing of clutch packs.

my thought would be then that, the Kawasaki branded oil should be the best in this respect.

It's going in a 2014 650 that won't see anything beyond weekend riding really.

Thanks,

Last edited:
All the big mgfs have their own oil - imo its never anything special.

I have never used Kawi's oil, but the one time I used Yamalube it worked fine but much better was available for the same price.

Filter however I only use OEM on my bikes/quads.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G

I have never used Kawi's oil, but the one time I used Yamalube it worked fine but much better was available for the same price.

The kawai filter is an interesting thing. I've seen pictures of this thing cut open and the medium is a foam/cotton based material which reminded me of a donaldson filter like a napa platinum or RP, but the way in which it is caged isn't reassuring(plastic cage and glued to the steel plate) and the 'pattern' for the media is also odd. it looks more like blocks than a pleat.

I don't know what to make of it really, and given that a motorcycle oil filter needs to flow high volume *and* is tasked with filtering clutch and trans material makes it even more interesting and confusing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blmlozz
Originally Posted By: Brent_G

The kawai oil is an interesting thing. I've seen pictures of this thing cut open and the medium is a foam/cotton based material which reminded me of a donaldson filter like a napa platinum or RP, but the way in which it is caged isn't reassuring(plastic cage and glued to the steel plate) and the 'pattern' for the media is also odd. it looks more like blocks than a pleat.

I don't know what to make of it really, and given that a motorcycle oil filter needs to flow high volume *and* is tasked with filtering clutch and trans material makes it even more interesting and confusing.

Not sure honestly that, I never seen once cut open.

I have used a Wix on my R1 once with no ill effects. I just prefer OEM as a feel good since I change filter ever other OCI.

Edit: Google'd it and I see what you mean...that is different than I am use to seeing! Maybe someone else can chime in who has experience with them.

Last edited:
The one thing that I remember about some of these Kawi filters is that they don't contain a bypass valve, presumably because the bypass valve is already part of your engine. Kind of like a cartridge filter setup, but inside a canister.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The one thing that I remember about some of these Kawi filters is that they don't contain a bypass valve, presumably because the bypass valve is already part of your engine. Kind of like a cartridge filter setup, but inside a canister.
smile.gif

16097-0004 has a bypass valve, which is the filter spec'd for the 300/650 and many other models.

I remember seeing that the oil pump in these kawi twins have internal low pressure valves, which makes it redundant on the filter, but as is with most things, the filter is spec'd for a broad range of engines. The 300 I have is only a year old but already the OEM filter on that has been superseded to the 0004 suffix P/N.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm pretty sure Citgo makes or has made many Kawasaki oils in the past.

They make Harley oils also, and from looking at the results of bikes running Syn3, it is probably a mediocre product at a premium price.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm pretty sure Citgo makes or has made many Kawasaki oils in the past.

They make Harley oils also, and from looking at the results of bikes running Syn3, it is probably a mediocre product at a premium price.

Ditto! That's why I use HDEO's. I might be tempted tp try that Valvoline bike oil someday but I have so much HDEO, that I likely wont.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back