Waxing tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Having recently gotten some cars to maintain that have nicer paint jobs, I've been trying to get into waxing them to keep them in good shape. However, the Turtle Wax I bought is an absolute bear to try to buff off, even if I try to not let it dry for too long. Am I doing something wrong, or should I try a different type of wax? I do have some wash & wax concentrates, but I highly doubt they would be as effective at protecting the paint, would they? I used to use Zaino products back before my Integra started to rust pretty bad, but I wasn't really that impressed (for the cost I paid). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Other than waxing with a questionable over the counter product what have you done to prep the paint? Wash? Clay? Machine polish? What?

I've been washing it with just standard car wash (Armor All brand) and drying it before waxing, but that's the only prep that I've done so far.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Hey everyone,

Having recently gotten some cars to maintain that have nicer paint jobs, I've been trying to get into waxing them to keep them in good shape. However, the Turtle Wax I bought is an absolute bear to try to buff off, even if I try to not let it dry for too long. Am I doing something wrong, or should I try a different type of wax? I do have some wash & wax concentrates, but I highly doubt they would be as effective at protecting the paint, would they? I used to use Zaino products back before my Integra started to rust pretty bad, but I wasn't really that impressed (for the cost I paid). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Prep the paint to get it looking the best it can reasonably be with a swirl free finish.

Then forget about the traditional waxing of the paint.
If it's protection you are after ,try using something like Car Pro HydrO2, instead of waxes, sealants and glazes.
It's quick easy and effective for long term protection.
Just spray a fine mist over the panels at the recommended dilution rate, and hose straight off immediately.

Unless you are very careful and experienced and know what your are doing with some products, you can inadvertently be inducing micro marring/swirls on a continual basis every time you touch the paint.

In my experience, without a doubt the less you have to touch the paint the better off you will be in the short and long term.

Usually a very thin coat of was is all that is needed. If you are seeing a heavy wax film, then you are putting way to much and then it is very difficult to remove. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Usually a very thin coat of was is all that is needed. If you are seeing a heavy wax film, then you are putting way to much and then it is very difficult to remove. Ed

That could very well be. I also wonder if it had anything to do with me doing it in the sun, since it's too hard to see if I got all of the wax off when working in the garage. I tried my best not to put too much on, but since I'm a newbie to waxing, I still may have put too much.

I think your first mistake is using turtle wax. Its really not the best product. Even before I clayed my car, the Meguiars paste wax seemed to last a decent while in the Florida sun and rain.

Wash the car, clay it, then use a better wax. If you are limited to easily obtainable ones, then Meguiars Ultimate Wax is a good one. Much easier to apply and remove than the old school and marginal at best Turtle Wax.

Forget the Clay Bar. Get Surf City Garage "Beyond Clay".

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/beyond-clay-paint-polish

http://www.amazon.com/Surf-City-Garage-488-Beyond/dp/B001Q7WZY0

Then, dump the Turtle Wax & get a quality Wax.

Report back with results.
thumbsup2.gif

Even though Beyond Clay will remove contaminants, it's still no replacement for clay. Clay will remove contaminants without removing paint. Polishes on the other hand will always remove some paint and unlike clay aren't safe to be using on a regular basis.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've never used a clay product before, so it should be interesting. I don't want anything that would remove any paint, as the clear coat is already fading a bit on one of the fenders of the Firebird. I want to protect the clear coat as best as I can to prolong the life of it. What kind of clay bar should I be using? I see on Amazon that Meguiars makes some called "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" but I want to make sure I have the right one before I order some. I'm also not sure what kind of wax to get instead of the Turtle Wax I already have. Turtle Wax Ice? Meguiar's Ultimate Wax? I saw one called Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, which I assume is the same as the Ultimate Wax mentioned above?

Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Thanks for the help everyone. I've never used a clay product before, so it should be interesting. I don't want anything that would remove any paint, as the clear coat is already fading a bit on one of the fenders of the Firebird. I want to protect the clear coat as best as I can to prolong the life of it. What kind of clay bar should I be using? I see on Amazon that Meguiars makes some called "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" but I want to make sure I have the right one before I order some. I'm also not sure what kind of wax to get instead of the Turtle Wax I already have. Turtle Wax Ice? Meguiar's Ultimate Wax? I saw one called Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, which I assume is the same as the Ultimate Wax mentioned above?

Thanks
smile.gif

Both Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit and Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax are great products. I was able to use both of these recently, gave the paint a nice smooth finish and great shine.

After you have your cars all cleaned up thoroughly, use Eagle One Nano Wax regularly on the entire exteriors. You won't believe how immaculate it will keep your paint. I use it religiously and love it!!

Which Turtle Wax product are you using?

You really don't need to be too picky about clay. There's only one patent on clay bars so get any one from a big brands available over the counter (Meguiars, Mothers, Clay Magic)

When claying be liberal with the clay lube. I use nearly half a gallon on a large sedan. To save on costs you can buy Optimum No-Rinse to make your own lube or even use rinse-less car washes (that don't contain wax) at double or triple the dosage available OTC.

You are lucky if you are detailing and waxing these days. I am amazed at how cheap and easy it can be for DIY to do obtain swirl free paint and maintain it.

You could look into the Nanoskin autoscrub. WOrks like clay but it is longer lasting and you will get more uses out of it. Autogeek sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back