When do you figure this should be drained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Prizm 1ZZ, I changed the oil in late October 2013, M1 0w40, stock size DENSO filter, this is my DD so it was run all through this harsh winter, short trips(5-6 miles round trip) a few times a week, with longer highway trips across town (10+ miles, coolant up to temp mid trip, often made the return before it fully cooled down). A handful of 100+ mile highway runs. It has 5000 miles on the oil now, I was going to run it to 7500 and get a UOA, but this winter has me worried.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree that your usage would be considered 'severe' especially over the winter...BUT...that is probably Mobil's best oil and should be able to handle the 7500 mile OCI without any problem.

The 1999 1ZZFE was one of the 'oil users' until they straightened out the ring issue in 2003....do you use any oil?

The engine burns negligible amounts of oil, with 10w30 PP I ended up using the whole jug across the 7500 mile OCI and it wasn't very far down(maybe 1/3 qt) when I drained it. It burns a touch less of the M1 0w40. I should also note I often drive the [censored] out of this car, it sees plenty of revs. It probably wouldn't burn any if driven gently.

Sounds like the oil has been babied to me. 7500 shouldn't be an issue. Remember you're talking about one of the most robust oils out there. It would be a waste to cut out 2500 miles of its life.

I owned a '99 from new to 137K over 13 years and in a similar climate. It was harder on engine oil than any other vehicle I've owned, so it primarily got inexpensive dino + filter at 2K until I switched to synthetic after seven years (M1, SynPower) when I went to 3.5K for a while - but then I noticed sludge forming, so backed off to 2.5 - 3.0K.

These are EXTREMELY short intervals per the logic on this board, but I never had any of the engine problems others have documented either. It didn't burn a drop anytime during those 13 years.

My $0.02

Originally Posted By: default
99 Prizm 1ZZ, I changed the oil in late October 2013, M1 0w40, stock size DENSO filter, this is my DD so it was run all through this harsh winter, short trips(5-6 miles round trip) a few times a week, with longer highway trips across town (10+ miles, coolant up to temp mid trip, often made the return before it fully cooled down). A handful of 100+ mile highway runs. It has 5000 miles on the oil now, I was going to run it to 7500 and get a UOA, but this winter has me worried.

Thoughts?

Different cars but UOAs on the m1 0W40 run in my 08 Volvo S60 suggest that the oil isn't close to being finished at 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: default

Thoughts?

99 Prizm 1ZZ,

Personally I think 7500K services is fine but I much prefer every 6K myself. In my newly bought Camaro RS the scheduled OCI's are based on every 7500K according to the manual. The OLM might have a different idea though. Stick with a good synthetic and you should be GTG.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back