Motor oil in Kawasaki V-twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual for my Kawasaki FS691V 23hp engine on my mower doesn't mention synthetic oil, but shows a table with recommended fixed viscosity vs ambient temperature and an API classification of SF,SG,SH,SJ or SL. My area which is >95 deg during summer months calls for an SAE 40. This manual comes across as something out of the 1950s. Other small engine products - ie,Stihl and Polaris not only recommend synthetics, but extend the warranty if they are used. Fixed viscosity oils are not readily available in my area, but I did find a 15W-40 Royal Purple synthetic. The manual does mention that multi-viscosities could result in a higher oil consumption. Strangely, the manufacturer of the mower (Gravely) recommends the first oil change at 25 hours of use while Kawasaki recommends the change after only 8 hours. This may all be just so much conjecture and of little importance, but I plan to use the 15w-40 synthetic after about 15 hous of use. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these or similar engines and oil types and use ?

I have a Kawasaki FD620D (20hp v-twin) on a mid-90's Deere 425 AWS, that has 2500 hours on it.

I'm in Illinois, where we are in the upper 80's most of the summer (we've already hit 90 degrees this year).

I've used Shell Rotella T 10w-30 without any issues. I pulled the valve covers off at 2020 hours to replace the gaskets, and it was as clean as new underneath. I'm changing the Rotella once a year (approx. 125 hours), and using $4 filters.

I think you'd do fine with any 15w-40. The Shell Rotella T5 is now available in a 15w-40 semi-synthetic. That's what I'd be using with your situation.

I have no definitive opinion on which brand or type of oil might be best for a particular engine. I simply don't know. My guess is that all of the major brands are good. Synthetic or petroleum based ? I can only guess that synthetic might provide better engine protection in certain extended use situations. I chose the 15W-40 synthetic for two reasons - the purple tint shows up nicely on my engine dip stick and it was the closest match to the engine manufacture's recommendation.
Funny thing about the topic of motor oils - it always seems to open up discussions and opinions about which brands are best - now, an entire forum dedicated to motor oil discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back