Prescription Sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had prescription (or any) sunglasses, and finally decided to get a pair.
The place I go to carry Nautica, Oakley, Costa, Ray Ban and Nike.

Oakley and Costa are out of the question as my insurance won't cover it.
(But they CAN put my lenses in REGULAR Oakley frames wiht my insurance...just not Sunglass frames; perhaps that might work, as my face is not huge and even some regular frames look like sunglass frames on my face...)

I want something simple but good looking, that doesn't look too weird, is robust, and durable. Polarized and Glare/scratch free is a requirement.

(Nike frames look too goofy and I HATE that huge logo, so I guess those are out, too
Ray Ban also looks... show-offy to me, but I have to look more - perhaps there are decent looking ones that's not too flashy)

Any recommendations ?

It's 99% subjective. I wouldn't worry too much about whose name is on it (the vast majority are made by only a handful of companies anyway). Buy what is both comfortable and fits your face well.

Don't be afraid to look at other places that your insurance will cover. You don't have to get the sunglasses from your optometrist.

Thanks!
Yeah I don't care much about brand at all, in this case.
I also read that most of those are made by some company called Luxetto (sp??) in Italy...
I just mentioned the names as my optometry place carries only those.

Great tip about looking at other places; I will check that out. Thanks!

I just use my old frames
(I get the same one every time),
and have new polarized (brown)
lenses put in.

Green polarized is also available...

I'm using Crizal - transitions on my glasses, and my frame actually comes with magnetic "stick-on" polarised filter for driving.

Works well (under normal outdoor situations: I don't need the add-on filter for my lens will dim out sufficiently, except glare)

Q.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I just use my old frames
(I get the same one every time),
and have new polarized (brown)
lenses put in.

Green polarized is also available...
Well I would use my old frames, too, if I had any and liked them, but these will be my FIRST pair of sunglasses; hence the inquiry
smile.gif

I guess I'll stay off the green; I am more of the 'regular' type
smile.gif

Last edited:
I got prescription sunglasses a few years ago.

Just standard frames.

Wantex one with lenses that darken automatically and one set of permanent tint.

Had the sunglasses for a week whilst they did the transitions, then gave back the sunglasses to be tinted, spray on apparently.

The choice of frames was the same for normal or tinted lenses.

The ones i have both work well.

Some frames were larger than others and Raybans were a choice.

Never thought about there being specific frames for sunglasses.

If i like the look and they are comfy then i am happy.

No insurance for glasses in UK, but lots of buy one get one free offers. My two pairs came to under £200 which i was happy with.

Probably due a new pair this summer, thanks for the reminder.

I don't have vision insurance,

I go to sams/costco and get uv/polarized lenses on any frame.
Sams it cost me $80 for polycarbonate lenses plus frame.
I have 4 pairs and love them.

transitions are not useful when I drive, I don't drive like ace ventura pet detective with my head sticking out of the car ;-)

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks!
Yeah I don't care much about brand at all, in this case.
I also read that most of those are made by some company called Luxetto (sp??) in Italy...
I just mentioned the names as my optometry place carries only those.

Great tip about looking at other places; I will check that out. Thanks!

Luxottica, yes (disclaimer: I worked for them for many years). They own Lens Crafters, Sunglass Hut, Ray Ban, Oakley, etc. They also make a bunch of the designer brands. Enormous company. The other big giant is Safilo. Both are basically private-labeling sunglasses for whoever wants to get into the sunglass business. Louis Vuitton, for example, doesn't make sunglasses -- someone makes it for them.

Also, I advise against frameless glasses. They might look nice and be less noticeable on your face, but they are terribly fragile and are nothing but trouble.

Thanks for all comments - they help a lot.
Yeah I am not big on frameless in general.
My main criteria are fit, durability, decent/normal/non-flashy look, and not too big.
As sunglasses theoretically might take more abuse than my normal prescr. glasses, I am going to lean towards one with thick hinges and frame...

Metal frame or Plastic?
... thing with metal framed ones is that they're (almost always) VERY thin, around the lenses AND especially the hinge area; looks very fragile to me; The Plastic ones are always thicker, and feel more durable/stable to me when I handle them.

"Plastic" is a bit misleading since they often contain things like acrylic and there's even a metal frame inside (you can usually see it on the lighter-colored frames).

Metal might feel more delicate, but it can bend and flex far more than plastic can. If you sit on a pair of metal-frames, they will indeed get bent and distorted but can be straightened out.

Plastic feels more substantial because it is thicker and heavier, but the yield strength is quite low. If you sit on them, they'll usually just break.

yeah I wasn't very accurate on 'plastic' - I knew they had some reinforcement.
I'll ponder on that too; I am pretty careful with my stuff, but will consider metal frames, too.

I have a pair of oakleys with the oakley lens and another pair of oakley frames with non oakley lens. The pair with the oakley lens was the best glasses I have ever had. Same RX at the time as my normal glasses but the oakleys were much sharper and clearer. I got them over 10 years ago and still wear them today for work (lawn care). My RX changed and put me just out of the range of RX that oakley offers so I had to do standard tinted lens with my new oakleys and frankly they suck.

yeah I wasn't very accurate on 'plastic' - I knew they had some reinforcement.
I'll ponder on that too; I am pretty careful with my stuff, but will consider metal frames, too.

If you're careful with your things then don't worry about it. Just get in the habit of putting them in the case when not wearing them.

My advice is really only relevant to people who have big problems with leaving stuff laying around, or who have little kids.

Got a pair of Polarized Rx lenses - put in a regular prescription Oakley Currency frames; (color: flint). They look decent, has a great fit, and felt very sturdy, and despite a bit of a design on the arms, it's very normal looking.

Pics show the design on the arms extenuated but in real life it's hardly noticeable. Love the rubberized grippy tips at end of arm.

These have the skull grip design and they fit onto my head very well.

Oakley site: (I got this in flint/dark brown front, and it's much darker than on the pic on their site, esp. the arms.)
http://www.oakley.com/products/6727/25087
(scroll down on that site for more info...I almost missed the info section)

But they CAN put my lenses in REGULAR Oakley frames with my insurance...just not sunglass frames; perhaps that might work, as my face is not huge and even some regular frames look like sunglass frames on my face...

I had this done some years ago using a pair of Oakley Titanium Wires.
Unfortunately for me, my insurance would not even cover the regular 'prescription' Oakley frames, so that was out of pocket.
frown.gif

I actually prefer to use the non-Oakley lenses (BOTH sunglass AND reading) since there are more options for coatings and such, and Oakley does not even make sunglass lenses in the power(s) that I need (>2.5).

Another reason to go with the Oakley reading script frames over their sunglass frames is that some of their sunglass lens curvatures CANNOT even be made into a prescription lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back