KOHLER 52 050 02 Oil Filter...Or is there better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a newer eXmark Lazer with the new Big Block EFI KOHLER engine (ECV940).

Had some minor issues with oil pressure sensor sampling rate. Would kick EFI into limp mode when hot started and 10W-30 was super hot. The hot/thin oil wouldn't generate enough oil pressure quick enough and the sensor would sense this and go into limp mode.

eXmark and Kohler addressed this by telling me to use 20W-50 oil and they also adjusted the rate at which this sensor reads the pressure.

In any event, I want to ensure this engine lasts 2-3K hours. And if it fails, I don't want Kohler engineers pointing to a X-Brand oil filter saying it was the cause of oil starvation or any other issues. So, I've been using the OEM Yellow KOHLER 52 050 02 Oil Filter going on 300 or so hours. I'd continue to use this filter, but I keep reading that this filter is made in India and is of VERY poor build quality??? Read about internal plastic parts breaking loose and causing MAJOR engine damage.

Can anyone give me assurance that I'm not harming my engine by running this filter?

Are there any suggestions for aftermarket?

This may sound funny, but I really don't want to go with a black colored filter. I write date and hours with a sharpie on the filter so I can track OCI's.

I can go with a longer filter, as it is upside down mounted and sits vertically right on top of the engine. This engine runs 3 qts and it DOES use oil (apparently a trait of the 999cc Kohlers).

I'll stick with the OEM filter unless someone can confirm that these filters are causing catastrophic engine failure.

I'm running 100hr OCI's and using Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

My .02 - I've always just cross-referenced to a Wix filter. I wrap a bit of masking tape around the filter and write the date/hours on the tape. Have done this for years on ATV's, mowers, and tractor. No big deal, works fine.

Wouldn't the engine be covered under warranty from "catastrophic" engine damage if using an OEM filter? I.E., their filter damages your engine, they owe you a new engine?

I would just continue using the OEM filter if it is not too expensive.

It appears the Fram Ultra XG3614 will fit. It's the same size as the Kohler.

The XG3600 will fit too, if you have room for the length. It's pretty large and will provide lots of flow.

Your local Wal-Mart likely stocks both.

20w-50 is a big jump. I would have started with something like Rotella T6 5w-40 or T Triple 15w-40 before going that route. Use your best judgement if that's what the manufacturer is calling for though.

I'd go with a Motorcraft FL-910S or FL-400S.

Last time I looked at the Kohler OEM filters, they were E-Cores and grossly overpriced. No thanks.

Cross it to a wix. That's what I use on my kohler and no problems. I also use Amsoil but I use small engine oil 10w30 and amsoil 10w40 mix

Last edited:
I use the XG3614 as well.....buy at Walmart. Works out great because my Sienna Minivan takes the same filter.

Handy Dandy PDF , Brand Cross Ref. for 3600 & 3614 sizes.

put to together from data i already had.
Current car uses a 3600 sized, previous car used a 3614 (as does dad's Kohler powered Cub cadet)

Last edited:
The XG3600 size is a phenomenal filter for your money with tons of media and high capacity but will surely have clearance issues with certain applications. Even the PH3600 filters I see cut open seem to hold up better than smaller counterparts, something good about that filter size.

Thank you everyone!

New to this forum. Is there NOT an automatic thread subscription when you start or comment on a thread???

Anyway...Also, I searched for Kohler oil filter and didn't see this thread with the cut open filter! Sorry to complain about the forum again, but this should have come up shouldn't it have???

eXmark and Kohler specified the 20W-50. As hot as these air cooled big blocks get, I'll take the extra viscosity. I asked about the 5-40 or 5-50, they said the 20 is needed for the hot start pressure drop, and it also controls oil usage that plague these big blocks.

I could use a 12" long filter! There is unlimited room! The Kohler filter are $10+ online and $15 at dealer, so while I'm using 4-5 a year, it does add up.

Fram Ultra XG 3600 would likely do an entire year with good results. Dual layer synthetic media is the highest capacity on the market. I was telling someone else earlier how I get my Buick xg3980 off Amazon for $6

I run wix on my commercial mowers along with amsoil 10W-30/30WT diesel oil. You are correct about exmark and kohler recommending the 20W-50 to remedy the limp mode issue. If it were me I would run amsoil 20W-50 and a wix filter. They can not deny warranty as long as the filter is equivalent or better than the oem filter. Magnuson moss warranty act

Royal Purple 20-400 filter with Amsoil 20w50 would be a great combo. Filters free shipping from Jegs. Only thing better might be a run of Redline 20w50.

Here's the logic I used. What is the cost of a Kohler engine vs. a replacement engine for a car. They protect a car engine worth about $7500 with a $6.99 filter, but to protect a $1,000 engine the filter costs $19.99. Doesn't make sense to me. So, I've been using leftover filters from a car I sold for my B&S Intek engine. I've used 15W-40 in it since I've had it, six years. So, there's my $.02. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Use the genuine Kohler or the Wix number that is recommended in the Wix catalog. Using any other filter that "just screws on and fits" is asking for trouble if you ever need to use the warranty.

Hey PSC! Your over here too!

To reiterate, I'm not hung up too much on the cost. Maybe 5 filters a year?? Price is not going to kill me! I just don't want to use a filter (Yellow Kohler) that I read could come apart inside and end up throwing plastic pieces through my crankcase!

If this is just a "rumor", or just happened once, I'm fine with that and will continue to use them.

This engine DOES use a considerable amount of oil. More than ANY small engine I've ever used.

2cool, This isn't a $1000 B&S Intek engine! I get your point, but if you can find a new crate ecv940 (EFI) Kohler for $1000, I'll buy it tomorrow! Most of these specially spec'd V-Twins are usually around $3K+ Percentage wise, it's very similar to the cost of a new car engine.

I was previously using the AMSOIL 10W-30/HD30 small engine. Loved this stuff! Kept my older Kohler EFI 28HP engine very happy! I do feel a little better with the higher viscosity of the 20W-50....Especially in the 100+ degree summer heat when I'm pushing it hard.

Remember, these small engines spend their life at 3500-3750 rpm 95% of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back