Escalade ext vs. Tundra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delving into the truck/ tow rig territory after selling the woefully unreliable bmw 330xi. Didn't get too much as resale is also quite pitiful on those so I'm looking in the $12-15k range.
We just bought our first house so a truck i know will come in handy and i do like to occasionally tow.

So here it is as i see, please chime in on any points!

2003-2006 Escalade:
I like the 6.0 lq9 for a couple reasons. I have an ls1 car and know the engine pretty well, reliable, easy to work on, parts availability, power!
Stabilitrak for snow driving.
closed bed and removable rear door appeal to use for camping and storage.
Suspension: looks relatively cheap to replace with conventional springs/shocks.
Cons are expensive caddy parts. I know the gauge clusters go out but is there anything else to worry me.

2005-2006 Tundra:
Love toyota reliability!
These years had HP bump but still less power than the escalade. Will i really need that power for the occasional tow of a car hauler?
cant find what year VSC was introduced.???
Traditional truck layout not really appealing.

Another factor is MPG. Seems that are quite close but EPA ratings but how can that be with such a huge power and displacement difference?

Well, thats all i got. I trust to get some good, unbiased info from the Bit'ogers!

you site expensive caddy parts as a con....so why get the caddy? Get it's mechanically nearly identical, but cheaper Chevy or GMC sibling...unless it's some sort of status thing i'm not hip to.

Oh i was on the fence about The escalade vs the avalanche but i simply can't find a reason for the avalanche:
It is the same price or more expensive!
smaller 5.3 or 6.0 lq4 vs the HO lq9 345 bhp
avalanche does not have stability control
Not a status thing at all, just makes more sense.

I'm not sure a GM 6.0 and a Toyota 4.7 are close in power. The '07 and later (newer body style) 5.7, now that is a beast. But not so much the older 4.7.

I don't know about getting the Caddy, based upon Caddy-only parts costs. Which might explain why the Cadillac is cheaper than you'd think. Personally I'd go for the Avalanche, as I'm not into bling. I'm not sure I'd be up for an older rusty Toyota either.

Toyota full size trucks are not known for mpg. GM mills seem capable of hitting EPA, if driven for it.

I agree, I think there are a few additional factors you should take into account like the mileage on both vehicles, and does the Cadillac already have a hitch, while I know they are relatively easy to install it will give you some idea as to the condition of the engine and transmissions. While they are totally capable of towing it does add considerable wear without some modifications. Also, I would suggest assessing what the tundra was used for, if it hauled the occasional uhaul trailer it's going to have a lot less wear than if it were used to haul a 26 ft camper. I have always been reluctant to buy an SUV or sedan that has a hitch. Trucks, as long as they weren't hitched to anything too terribly heavy, are usually a safer bet. Trucks are of course made to do some hauling, and It most likely it has, but I'd want to make sure I'm not buying something with 150k mi wear with 100k mi on the odometer.

I hope this helps..

Amir

Most parts on a Cadillac Escalade are standard GM truck/SUV stuff.
The Cluster can be rebuilt with new stepper motors, The cost is no more than any other GM truck.
The Stabilitrak is great when it's working, When in "limp mode" You basically can't drive the truck, At least the risk of being ran over doing 15 mph.
You are suppose to run Premium fuel in a LQ9, Can you run regular....Yeah, Most people do.

thanks for the help guys. going to test drive both this weekend.

Is the stabilitrak prone to failure and is it usually an easy diagnoses/fix?

Seems you already know about the LS1.

The 6.0 is basically it's big brother.

Three of my vehicles and the Government ones I drive have TCS/Stabilitrak. The only failure I have seen was due to a dirty/failed ABS sensor.

Like Mike said it's usually wheel speed sensor or the bearing hub itself. Though ABS module failure is quite common (internal main relay), Quite expensive buying from the dealer, There are people out there that can solder a new relay on the circuit board for cheap.

Since your budget is low I'd just buy a regular truck, if you need a truck. Chevy, GMC, Toyota, whatever you like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cool_breeze

Suspension: looks relatively cheap to replace with conventional springs/shocks.

Looks can be deceiving. Some of those Escalades have pretty expensive shocks that can cost (parts only) a lot of money for a set of the cheapest thing you can find. They may not be quite in MDX or Sierra Denali territory, but at even at half the price of those they can be uncomfortably expensive.

Love my 2013 Avalanche and it tows my 5,600lb rig just fine. Mine has 3.73 gears along with the tow package and a built in brake controller on the dash. If you really feel you want a little mower power that is relatively easy to do with the LS based engines. Cam swap and a tune and you are golden. I bought mine new. I have never had any problems out of GM trucks or SUV's. This one replaced a 07 Yukon which replaced a 99 SS which replaced a 97 trans am which replaced an 82 Z28. Never an issue out of any of them. The LS engines are rock solid. Our work truck is an 07 2500HD and the other work truck is a 98 K2500 with over 200K of very hard miles.

Somewhat rare color blue topaz metallic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back