MicroGard air filters now made by WIX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At O'Reilly's today the MicroGard MGA46153 and the WIX 46153 had similar part numbers and both said Made In Mexico on the outside pleats. They looked identical side by side except the WIX had a higher number of pleats and they were yellow'ish. I asked the parts guy if WIX was making the air filters for MicroGard now and he said, "no, different company."
21.gif

He is not a "parts guy", he is a keyboard jockey who can give you the amount of change the computer tells him to. I'm sure OR doesn't want Wix users buying the MG filters if they think they are the same, which it looks like they are not. It would seem from your description that the MG is a "cheaper" filter, even though it is actually made by Wix.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
It would seem from your description that the MG is a "cheaper" filter, even though it is actually made by Wix.

It's $3 less but the gasket and the wire reinforcement grid was identical to the WIX. The only difference was the media. The MicroGard had fewer pleats, but they were thicker. The WIX had a million thin pleats. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure WIX makes the MicroGard air filters. There's no other explanation for the part numbers being the same. Just like Fram and STP have the same part numbers. And one thing I should mention: the WIX made filters have a stiffer sturdier gasket than the Fram and STP. You pull a Fram out of the box and it wants to curl up on you immediately. The MicroGard and the WIX filters have a heftier better quality feel to them.

He is not a "parts guy", he is a keyboard jockey who can give you the amount of change the computer tells him to. I'm sure OR doesn't want Wix users buying the MG filters if they think they are the same, which it looks like they are not. It would seem from your description that the MG is a "cheaper" filter, even though it is actually made by Wix.

Yes Microgard air and oil filters are made by Wix. Your comment referring to a employee at O'reillys is unnecessary. I work for O'reilly Auto Parts and I can assure you there are many fine "Parts guys and gals". Yes there are some people in the parts industry merely to collect a paycheck , there are also many like me who love what they do. Those that do, myself included have outstanding knowledge of automotive systems. I really dont understand the reasoning for looking down or treating parts store employees poorly.

^ by far the most insulting thing I have heard today directed towards someone they didn't even know...

Originally Posted By: Thax

Yes Microgard air and oil filters are made by Wix.

Are the MG tranny filters made by WIX too?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Is it for your Jeep? O'Reilly's is listing a PowerTorque, a WIX, and an ACDelco.

Sorry if I offended some of you. I was in the parts biz many years. Owned a store for ten years. The big chains pay squat and give no training. Have you seen a counter guy at a chain store with a ASE counterman certification patch on his uniform? It's not the employees' fault. Some of them try, but the companies don't give a rip. I trade mostly at an OR nearby. I look up my parts on the interweb and bring them the part number.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Is it for your Jeep? O'Reilly's is listing a PowerTorque, a WIX, and an ACDelco.

Lol. I thought for sure they had an MG as well. Knowing me, I probably dreamed about it..

Originally Posted By: Thax

Yes Microgard air and oil filters are made by Wix.

No they are not . There is no Microgard branded trans filters. There is PowerTorque and then WIx , some applications also AC Delco and Motorcraft.

Have you seen a counter guy at a chain store with a ASE counterman certification patch on his uniform?

I actually did one time believe it or not, but it was while the store was still Kragen before O'Reilly bought them out.

Sorry if I offended some of you. I was in the parts biz many years. Owned a store for ten years. The big chains pay squat and give no training. Have you seen a counter guy at a chain store with a ASE counterman certification patch on his uniform? It's not the employees' fault. Some of them try, but the companies don't give a rip. I trade mostly at an OR nearby. I look up my parts on the interweb and bring them the part number.

I work at a chain store and love it . I am ASE and AIA certified. I dont wear my patches , I dont feel like I need to wear a patch to be good at what I do. Maybe my store is different but we have 2 ASE certified countermen and a part time ASE Master Tech with 35 years of experience on the counter during the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back