HELP! - Honda HHT25S or Dolmar MS 245.4C??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help deciding between the two? Its going to be used residentially, but I'm looking for something to last 10-15 years. Anyone have any real world exprience with both/either. There are VERY few user reviews of the Dolmar, but thats because the Honda is more popular and Dolmar is somewhat new. I dont care about price.

Dolmar MS 245.4C
Pro's
*Uses Robin-Subaru EH025 engine design - Chrome cylinder, metal cam, push rod, forged crank, needle bearings on the connecting rod, etc
*Engine is good, but is rest of machine well built?
*Not as heavy ~ 11 lbs

Con's
*Can be tilted, but 360 is not option.
*Not as many local dealers, support for parts, etc.

Honda HHT25S

Pro's
*Proven design, GX engine
*Lots of dealer support and parts
*Very balanced, entire trimmer well built
*Oil mist, use 360 Degrees

Con's
*OHC w/ rubber T-belt (not worried about running a lot of hours, but cracking due to age
*Heavier - ~13 lbs
*Flex Shaft (some would argue not as durable).

Help.

Dolmar has been around a long time and makes very good equipment. It just isn't a big name brand. They make equipment for a big name brand though. Makita ope is the same as dollar except for the color.

If I had to pick, I would go with the Honda simply due to its ability to maintain the full motion necessary for a trimmer. If I had a choice, I would be more inclined to get one of these if I was in the market for a power head with options:

Kawasaki KMS27A

It's a true commercial machine and will serve you forever if you take care of it. The balance is great and it's also lighter at under 9lbs. I understand the desire of having a 4 stroke micro engine, but the technology still isn't at the level of a well made 2 cycle Kawasaki, Dolmar, Tanaka, Stihl and so on...

Thanks guys. I actually do own a Kawasaki KTFR27 2 cycle trimmer. Its a great unit, I just need another excuse to change oil in something. I'm also trying to get away from mixing gas. I agree a good 2 cycle its ahead of 4 cycle technology and simplicity for a trimmer application.

Jhellwig, i'm north of you in Cedar Rapids btw...

Cool. I didnt even notice where you hailed from.

If needing to run it at any angle is important then you only have one choice.

I really wanted to like the Honda 4-cycle trimmer, but in the end, went back to Echo when I bought a new one last year. If you don't like mixing gas, just run TruFuel. The 4-cycles are heavier and more complex than is really necessary for a hand-held application.

I wouldn't worry about the rubber belt in the Honda. I own a GCV160 with a rubber belt and it's 11 years old. Honda appears to have put very high quality belts in these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back